2009 Queensland Amatuer Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The results could be a couple of days away, the Head Steward will double/triple check them and release them when he is happy.

They will probably be posted here and on the QABC website, maybe even twitted :p

PS there are a few photos of the event on twitter.

You know what I'm like :-0 :rolleyes:

Adrian :icon_drunk:

Brewers - Full Results are on the QABC Website
All the place getters below have qualified for the Nationals.

Low Alcohol 5 entries

1st Michael Gardner - Mild Ale - 42.50 points Silver
2nd Michael Gardner English Bitter 37.50 points Bronze
3rd Andrew Clark English Bitter 36.50 points - Bronze

Pale Lager 9 entries

1st Andrew Clark Munich Helles 37.50 points - Bronze
2nd Anthony Henderson Pale Continental Lager 34.50 points
3rd Ross Kenrick Australian Lager 34.00 points

Pilsner 11 entries

1st Lyall Cottam Bohemian Pilsner 34.50 points
2nd Andrew Clark - German Pilsner 32.50 points
3rd Derrick Allard German Pilsner 32.50 points

Amber & Dark Lager 11 entries

1st Simon Conlon Oktoberfest/Marzen 40.50 points Silver
2nd Liam Ahearn Oktoberfest/Marzen 30.50 points
3rd Anthony Henderson Munich Dunkel 30.00 points

Strong Lager 4 entries

1st Graeme Starke Bock 37.0 points Bronze
2nd Anthony Henderson Strong Pale 34.50 points
3rd William Steudler Doppelbock 33.50 points

Pale Ale 13 entries

1st Andrew Clark Australian Pale Ale 42.25 points Silver
2nd Derrick Allard Belgian pale ale 41.50 points Silver
3rd Johann Ulrich Van Der Walt Belgian Pale ale 39.50 points Bronze

American Pale Ale 12 entries

1st Gavin Priest APA 41.00 points Silver
2nd Chris Moss - APA 40.25 points Silver
3rd David Clarke APA - 38.25 points Bronze

Bitter Ale 14 entries

1st Andrew Clark English Best Bitter 42.50 points - Silver
2nd Chris Moss English Best Bitter 42.00 points Silver
3rd Ross Kenrick English Best Bitter 41.50 points - Silver

Brown Ale 15 entries

1st Daryl Eaves American Brown Ale 39.50 points Bronze
2nd Jye Smith American Brown Ale 36.50 points Bronze
3rd Anthony Davis American Brown Ale 36.00 points Bronze

Porter - 8 entries

1st Lyall Cottam - Brown Porter - 36.75 points - Bronze
2nd Ross Kenrick - Robust Porter - 34.0 points
3rd liam Ahearn - Robust Porter - 32.50 points

Stout 16 entries

1st David McClure Dry Stout 32.50 points
2nd Brad Gray Dry Stout 32.00 points
3rd Brad Gray Sweet Stout 31.67 points

Strong Stout 8 entries

1st Anthony Henderson RIS 40.00 points Silver
2nd Michael Gardner Aus/Foreign Exp 36.00 points
3rd Campbell Ritchie Aus/Foreign Exp 33.250 points

India Pale Ale 8 entries

1st Chris Moss American IPA 41.00 points Silver
2nd Ross Kenrick Imperial IPA 38.00 points Bronze
3rd Tony Brown American IPA 36.50 points Bronze

Strong Ale 3 entries

1st Tony Brown American Barley Wine 45.50 points Gold
2nd Stephen Gleeson Old Ale 44.50 points Silver
3rd William Steudler English Barley Wine 43.25 points Silver

Belgian Strong Ale 20 entries

1st Liam Ahearn Tripel 42.75 points Silver
2nd Jye Smith Belgian Strong Dark ale 41.25 points Silver
3rd David Clark Belgian Blond Ale 39.250 points Bronze

German Wheat & Rye Beer 21 entries

1st Jye Smith Weizen Eisbock 42.25 points Silver
2nd Wayne Berthelsen Weizen 40.00 - Silver
3rd Stephen Staples Weizenbock 39.00 Bronze

Farmhouse Ale & Wild Beer 17 entries

1st Graeme Starke Saison 43.50 points Silver
2nd Tony Brown Witbier 41.00 points Silver
3rd Melinda Evans Biere de Garde 37.50 points - Bronze

Specialty Beer 19 entries

1st Andrew Clark Wood Aged 45.50 points Gold
2nd Johann Ulrich Van Der Walt Other Specialty 40.50 points Silver
3rd Graeme Starke Belgian Specialty 39.25 points Bronze

Champion Brewer (4 best places) 1st = 3 points, 2nd = 2 points, 3rd = 1 point.

1st Andrew Clarke - 12 points (4 x 1st place)
2nd Anthony Henderson 8 points (1 x 1st, 2 x 2nd, 1 x 3rd)

Champion Beer (BOS Round)

1st Andrew Clark Wood Aged.
2nd Andrew Clark Australian Pale Ale

A big thank you to the Platform Bar for hosting this event & to all the stewards & judges on the day. Without your help, these competitions would not exist.

Well done, congrats to all AHB brewers who did so well, Well done to Andrew and how about a 45.5 for Browndog's Barleywine. Had a few entries, nothing special, well maybe one but missed the entry date due to a little stay in hospital. Will be a strong showing from QLD in the Nationals this year I think.

Screwy

Lots of familiar names there, congrats to everyone :icon_cheers:

And Andrew, we had a feeling you were up there when we saw an Aus Ale on the BOS table, well done :icon_chickcheers:

Browndog I wanna taste that BW of yours, Ill bring a bottle of mine along too :)

PS that was a WeizenEisbock I pick the first up with.

Lots of high quality entries from lots of different people. A big thanks to the Stewards who helped out on the day, Everything went smoothly.

Congrats to all the winners!

Adrian

Edit: Should have disqualified Jye on the basis of 16.3 being Weizenbock :p

Thanks guys trying very hard to assimilate all this, congratulations to all the winners, looks like there were some high scores so the entries must have been top notch. Thanks to the organizers and judges and stewards, pretty sure you would have worked hard, hope you had a few afterwards.
Great score Tony, love to see that recipe.
Think I might crack a BTGA to celebrate, thanks again.

Andrew

I think its time tou have a well deserved beer Lefty, must have been a busy day of checking :D

PS well the AABC shouldnt have listed aventinus eisbock as an example :p

and I should thank Jim for inspiring me to brew an American Brown Ale... couldnt have done it without you :p

A big thanks to the organisers, the stewards and the folks from the Grand Central. I have to make mention of our Chief Steward Adrian, the guy is unflappable, with total confidence in his stewards, one cool customer when the going gets tough. I'm chuffed at mine and Liam's results, we just have to get Bonj on our wavelenght and then the Ipswich boys will be an unholy trinity in brewing excellence. As for the BW, what a fluke, I thought it would have to age before it was any good, but by god, it was nectar straight out of the fermenter. I have to say I have to give Liam some ups for my silver medal wit, I didn't think it cut the mustard and wasn't going to waste the entry fee to enter it, but he convinced me to put it in. Go the QLDers in the AABC.....

cheers

Browndog

Many awesome beers on the day.. Looking at the full list (available as a zip from the site) it's amazing how many were up there well into the 40s and just how tight some of the placings were, just pipping each other by half a point here or there. We're going to put in a strong showing in the Nats I'm sure. Never mind the incredible job done on the day, how's that set of reports - someone stayed up late last night slaving over the PC. Thanks. Amazing.

Just a bit OT at this moment in time but say you have picked up a place in Pale Ales as an example with an Aussie Pale, does that mean you have to enter an Aussie Pale in the Nats or can you enter any Pale as long as it's in the class? A bit academic because it's a bit late to start a lot of beers from scratch for late October but would be interested to know for next year.

Many awesome beers on the day.. Looking at the full list (available as a zip from the site) it's amazing how many were up there well into the 40s and just how tight some of the placings were, just pipping each other by half a point here or there. We're going to put in a strong showing in the Nats I'm sure. Never mind the incredible job done on the day, how's that set of reports - someone stayed up late last night slaving over the PC. Thanks. Amazing.

Just a bit OT at this moment in time but say you have picked up a place in Pale Ales as an example with an Aussie Pale, does that mean you have to enter an Aussie Pale in the Nats or can you enter any Pale as long as it's in the class? A bit academic because it's a bit late to start a lot of beers from scratch for late October but would be interested to know for next year.

It's gotta be the beer you won with Bribie, you can rebrew it for the AABC though if you have run out.

cheers

Browndog

Bribie,

Entitles you to enter any style from the catagory you won in.

Cheers Ross

Edit: From the AABC website:

"Entrants may enter only those categories in which their
placings were achieved. If the original beer is no longer available, entrants may submit a
different beer in the same or a different style in that category."

cheers Ross

Great work by all invloved and congrats to all the winners. Will the result sheets be sent out and place getters get to enter the nationals right??
Pretty happy with a 2nd and 3rd and a silver and bronze.

brad

Great work by all invloved and congrats to all the winners. Will the result sheets be sent out and place getters get to enter the nationals right??
Pretty happy with a 2nd and 3rd and a silver and bronze.

brad

Hi Brad,

Results sheets will be mailed out as soon as we get certificates printed & prizes organised. would expect within the next 2 weeks, all going well. If you qualified you don't need anything other than your beer to enter the nationals - Just go to the AABC website for details.

cheers Ross

Just wanted to add my thanks to all of those who put in the hard yards to make this competition happen. It is great to be able to participate in such a class event.

Cheers
Starkesbier

Happy brewer with two firsts and a third! :icon_chickcheers:

On behalf of the Canberra contingent who judged at the comp, just wanted to say thanks to the QLD brewers for a great day, and especially to Ross for his hospitality.
We were also told that Ross has an in built gyroscope, and watching him nurse a full beer while having a short nana nap during the Broncos game, I can tell you it's true!
See you at the Nats!

Thanks guys, I'll rebrew the 2 low alc ones because they are good fresh, but will have a taste-off with bottles from the current batch before posting any off :icon_cheers: The stout will hopefully just get better and better :icon_drunk:

Congratulations to the the winners & place getters.

A special thanks to Adrian and the stewards (I was one until I was asked to judge classes 2 & 6) another well run event & to have the results out already is a magnificent effort.

Browny, your BW was an excellent drop.

Another very well orgainsed event. Thanks to Ross & Ian for all there work behind the scenes to make the state titles happen. Plus a thanks to the Platform Bar for the facilities to hold this very special event.

Andrew - well done - 4 x 1st placing indicates what a great brewer you are.

I am exceptionally pleased with my showing - 1 x 1st & 2 x 2nds from 5 entries and all silver medals.

Bring on the Nationals.

Cheers,

mossy

Congratulations to the the winners & place getters.

A special thanks to Adrian and the stewards (I was one until I was asked to judge classes 2 & 6) another well run event & to have the results out already is a magnificent effort.

Browny, your BW was an excellent drop.

Another very well orgainsed event. Thanks to Ross & Ian for all there work behind the scenes to make the state titles happen. Plus a thanks to the Platform Bar for the facilities to hold this very special event.

Andrew - well done - 4 x 1st placing indicates what a great brewer you are.

I am exceptionally pleased with my showing - 1 x 1st & 2 x 2nds from 5 entries and all silver medals.

Bring on the Nationals.

Cheers,

mossy

Congrats Mossy, good results. Noticed you judged 2 of my entries, I'll be looking forward to the feedback. Hopefully the Nats will show a good result for Qld.

Didn't mention in my earlier post a big thanks to the Canberra judges that took time out to come up for the Judging, a long trip, just shows the passion they have for brewing.

Oh and BribieG, your a legend of the British beers :icon_cheers:

Andrew

The efforts of Adrian & Ross behind the scenes & late at night really can't be emphasised enough. Both these guys have there own businesses to run as well as ensuring events like these run smoothly time & time again. Job well done (again) boys.

Cheers

Paul

Latest posts

Back