2009 Queensland Amatuer Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Daryl, I'm looking forward to seeing and brewing the recipe mate, best I could manage in that cat. was 11th. Its a bit frustrating when one year the judges say the beer is too big for the style and the next year they say the exact same beer is not big enough. No more ABAs in comps for me.

cheers

Browndog

Also frustrating when they say a stout is "mouth puckeringly bitter" one comp and then give it a bronze and a place in the next one :lol: :lol: The judges on the day mate. :icon_cheers: I must admit that the Browns and Ambers are bloody hard, though.

Also frustrating when they say a stout is "mouth puckeringly bitter" one comp and then give it a bronze and a place in the next one :lol: :lol: The judges on the day mate. :icon_cheers: I must admit that the Browns and Ambers are bloody hard, though.

I believe the problem is the BJCP description is too ambiguous. In one sentence is says it is a big hoppy beer, and in another it says hops can be low to moderate. Go figure. I might have a crack at the ambers next year.

Why frustrating? Your beer has improved - Stouts generally improve with some age - A BABBS member (to not name names) had a stout that was fairly ordinary at the time of the BABBS comp - I tasted the same beer at the weekend & honestly reckon it could easily have taken out 1st place in the QABC - It's a shame you didn't enter it Chappo :p

Cheers Ross

I believe the problem is the BJCP description is too ambiguous. In one sentence is says it is a big hoppy beer, and in another it says hops can be low to moderate. Go figure. I might have a crack at the ambers next year.

I agree Tony - The Am Brown description allows for 2 almost completely different beers. Either way though, if the beer is well balanced it should score well. If its big & hoppy without enough malt, then its very likely to be judged as "too hoppy".

cheers Ross

Edit: Keen to see what went wrong with my WIT - 2nd place in BABBS out the keg & had done some bottle conditioned ones for the QABC that I had very high hopes for - Came pretty well last - I knew there was a reason i keg lol.

I suppose 'frustrating' isn't probably the correct word, more like 'discouraging'. My stout in question, actually, I've got a bottle in the fridge right now and thought I'd see how it's getting on. Any stout left Chappo? Bring one along tomorrow :chug:

I suppose 'frustrating' isn't probably the correct word, more like 'discouraging'. My stout in question, actually, I've got a bottle in the fridge right now and thought I'd see how it's getting on. Any stout left Chappo? Bring one along tomorrow :chug:

Is this what im expecting in the mail bigboy?

Any stout left Chappo? Bring one along tomorrow :chug:

Chap Chap hope you will be bringing a stout along, I will be bringing a couple and I hope Bribie does as well. Out of the 5 beers I entered was most chuffed with getting 4th behind AndrewQ, Mossy and Ross for my English best Bitter and the 5th and bronze for the Dubbel which was my 2nd AG and was about 15 months Old.

Cheers

Chap Chap hope you will be bringing a stout along, I will be bringing a couple and I hope Bribie does as well. Out of the 5 beers I entered was most chuffed with getting 4th behind AndrewQ, Mossy and Ross for my English best Bitter and the 5th and bronze for the Dubbel which was my 2nd AG and was about 15 months Old.

Cheers

Same, same Brad... I was chuffed to see my name in front of brewers or not far away in points that have brewed for much longer than me and are good ones at that from what I hear.... :D

Just looking forward to feedback...

:icon_cheers: CB

Same, same Brad... I was chuffed to see my name in front of brewers or not far away in points that have brewed for much longer than me and are good ones at that from what I hear.... :D

Just looking forward to feedback...

Yep Jody the nail has been hit right on the head there. And the feedback from the judges is what I am looking forward to the most, if I can produce a better beer from the whole process then I win.

Cheers Brad

Yep Jody the nail has been hit right on the head there. And the feedback from the judges is what I am looking forward to the most, if I can produce a better beer from the whole process then I win.

Cheers Brad

+ 1, looking forward to revamping a few recipes, already fiddling about in Beersmith :rolleyes: .

Campbell,

There were only 3 place getters in each catergory (the 3 highest scores). The sub-style entered is irrelevant. 1st, 2nd & 3rd may have all been from the same sub-style. Lesser scores in the same or other sub-styles don't qualify.
Have a look at the results table & hopefully it will make sense

cheers Ross

This is what comes of going from a 4am start shift to a 12pm finish one. You can stare and stare at something and just not get it until you've had a good sleep.
Pennies have dropped, it all makes sense now. I just wasn't seeing that placings were for category not for style. Where's the smiley for sleep-deprived dumbass?

I agree Tony - The Am Brown description allows for 2 almost completely different beers. Either way though, if the beer is well balanced it should score well. If its big & hoppy without enough malt, then its very likely to be judged as "too hoppy".

cheers Ross

Edit: Keen to see what went wrong with my WIT - 2nd place in BABBS out the keg & had done some bottle conditioned ones for the QABC that I had very high hopes for - Came pretty well last - I knew there was a reason i keg lol.

And I'll be interested to see the judging sheet for my RIS that won BABBs and scored 2nd in BOS that ended up second last in QABC......... :blink:

I guess that's the reason why it's always good to enter the same beer into more than one comp, and why the results of one comp can't be used as in indicator as to whether a beer is either good or bad. Although, a large discrepancy might suggest something went bad with that bottle.

I guess that's the reason why it's always good to enter the same beer into more than one comp, and why the results of one comp can't be used as in indicator as to whether a beer is either good or bad. Although, a large discrepancy might suggest something went bad with that bottle.

Totally agree there Chad.

Shit Shit Shit, better get my entries off tmorow.
When would we expect to get the QLD result scoresheet??

Brad

Shit Shit Shit, better get my entries off tmorow.
When would we expect to get the QLD result scoresheet??

Brad

Ross posted in another Topic that there were issues with printers or something and they should've been in the post this/next week... :unsure:

Im eagerly awaiting the Feedback, more so on my A.I.P.A

Re the nats, as long as the package bears tomorrow's postmark then you are accepted. A couple of differences to the QLD comp:

You wrap an entry form around each bottle with a rubber band, you don't tape anything to the bottle.

The 'bottle cap ID' field is not required, can't figure what that is about.

The OG / FG info is only required for the low alc category (<4%) and is presumably there to stop someone sneaking in a full flavoured blow your brains out beer and claim that it's low alc. I've entered a couple in the category and did a double check on that FG today, sacrificing two bottles for the hydro samples. Damn I had to chill them down and drink them later :icon_cheers:

It was a bloody long winded exercise today printing out and filling out the forms, constructing a cardboard box etc and I only just made the post. Now for a good rest period. I'm going to do a toucan next :icon_drunk:

Hey Brad I expect you are entering a TTL type? Congrats on the State results and hope we'll whop the Mexicans' arses :icon_chickcheers:

Hey Brad I expect you are entering a TTL type? Congrats on the State results and hope we'll whop the Mexicans' arses :icon_chickcheers:

Gday Michael, Mate my Esb missed out by a smidgen on the day but I was happy with the result. i'll be entering a Dry Stout and a Sweet Stout. There triple wrapped in bubble wrap and I'll pack em in a box with heaps of styro packing foam ( the stuff that looks like expanded nutri grain) hopefully aussie post will look after them.

Good Luck with your entries too. :beerbang:

Brad

Hey, finally got the score sheets for this comp.
Some of the detailed feedback was most welcome and helpful.
Apologies to Ben & Matt for providing a slightly infected stout - was bottled from keg but at the time all seemed well, 2 weeks later "What happened to the aroma FFS????" :rolleyes: .
I'm also going to have to modify the way I use a carbonation cap, or bottle condition for the comp next year going by the 'low carbonation' remarks.
Thanks judges :icon_cheers: .

Latest posts

Back