2009 Queensland Amatuer Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie,

Entitles you to enter any style from the catagory you won in.

Cheers Ross

Edit: From the AABC website:

"Entrants may enter only those categories in which their
placings were achieved. If the original beer is no longer available, entrants may submit a
different beer in the same or a different style in that category."

cheers Ross

So does this mean if you qualified to enter by winning a place in 12.1 I can enter that style and also 12.2?

Campbell
competition noob

Campbell/Brewers

Excuse my ignorance but where is the entry form for the Nationals?
I couldn't see it anywhere on their website.

The entry form will be up on the site later this week. They are making a few small changes to the old format.

+++

So does this mean if you qualified to enter by winning a place in 12.1 I can enter that style and also 12.2?

YES - Your qualification entitles you to an entry in the said catagory - You make pick a new substyle if you wish.

Cheers Ross

Seems like a few less entries this year.... :unsure:

Im stoked anyhow with mine, even though I hadnt even really brewed for the Comp, just put a few bottles in to see how they went and more so for the Feedback to see what to work on.... :)

Only been doing AG for 8 months with 20 AG brews and all No-Chilled.... Surely can only get better?

9th out of 12 for American Pale Ale
13th out of 15 for Brown Ale
11th out of 16 for Stout
4th out of 8 for India Pale Ale

Cheers to all involved in the whole event.... :beerbang:

CB

Now that the kerfuffle has died down a bit and the thread is still live, I'd like to contribute more to next year's comp, I went in to lend a hand but felt a bit like the tits on a bull because I really didn't know the exact details of what was going on. What I'd really like to do is to learn BJCP with the aim of judging. If not judging then at least I would have the firm background knowledge to be a more effective steward. Of course I've had a bit of rough and ready experience on the tables at the mini comps but how do I get into some serious training?

Note I usually work weekends which could be a hurdle, what's available locally or through BABBs ? I understand there's an exam you can sit at the end of the process.

Clean Brewer: re the entries, the event didn't seem to have been widely publicised from the point of view of noobs like myself, of course the more senior members knew the comps were coming up so I suppose next year it's up to Qld AHB members to be more proactive and make sure the info is out there. What I mean is that it's unfair to expect hard working guys like Ross or Paul H or BConnery to take time out to spoon feed the rest of the membership when the info was available on the web for those who wanted to find it. I for one will be more active in 'nailing down' the details so we can all start brewing with two or more months notice for the lager makers and the stronger beer entries. Having said that, there's no point in getting 300 entries unless more members are prepared to step up to the plate and help out during the comp. Certainly a bigger and better State comp would surely translate to more hits for QLD brewers in the nats but it's up to all of us :icon_cheers:

Great effort by all volunteers !!!! A big thanks to you all.
and a very big congrats to all placed getters !!!! there was some fantastic beers entered.

Quick question for you all - I left three bottles of beer with my cappers at the platform bar so that I could return for them the next day. Upon returning the next day they were gone :unsure: does any one happen to know where they went ?????? We would love to get them back as they were the last bottles of each of those beers and included the last bottle of Mel's first AG beer so we are rather sad for the loss :( two of the bottles were coopers tallies ( one red cap and one green cap) and the other was a champagne style bottle.
One of them was the last bottle of a beer that qualified for the National comp :(
Pleases help me track them down.... it would mean a great deal to me.

Clean Brewer: re the entries, the event didn't seem to have been widely publicised from the point of view of noobs like myself, of course the more senior members knew the comps were coming up so I suppose next year it's up to Qld AHB members to be more proactive and make sure the info is out there. What I mean is that it's unfair to expect hard working guys like Ross or Paul H or BConnery to take time out to spoon feed the rest of the membership when the info was available on the web for those who wanted to find it. I for one will be more active in 'nailing down' the details so we can all start brewing with two or more months notice for the lager makers and the stronger beer entries. Having said that, there's no point in getting 300 entries unless more members are prepared to step up to the plate and help out during the comp. Certainly a bigger and better State comp would surely translate to more hits for QLD brewers in the nats but it's up to all of us

Well said mate.... Ive started for Next Year already with my Barleywine getting kegged tonight for some Maturation then bottling..... ;)

CB

Great effort by all volunteers !!!! A big thanks to you all.

Quick question for you all - I left three bottles of beer with my cappers at the platform bar so that I could return for them the next day. Upon returning the next day they were gone :unsure: does any one happen to know where they went ?????? We would love to get them back as they were the last bottles of each of those beers and included the last bottle of Mel's first AG beer so we are rather sad for the loss :( two of the bottles were coopers tallies ( one red cap and one green cap) and the other was a champagne style bottle.
One of them was the last bottle of a beer that qualified for the National comp :(
Pleases help me track them down.... it would mean a great deal to me.

They probably ended up in the pile of bottles & crates that we put out the side alley during the frenzied cleanup - I think they were going to Ross's?

and a very big congrats to all placed getters !!!! there was some fantastic beers entered.
Man have I got some work to do, PBs stuff was outstanding.

They probably ended up in the pile of bottles & crates that we put out the side alley during the frenzied cleanup - I think they were going to Ross's?

Nope..... :( checked all the bottles out the back

These bottles were placed behind my cappers away from all other bottles in the hope that they would not be confused with anything else :(

Please .... anyone have any idea ??????

I'll add my name to the chorus thanking the organisers and stewards for their effort, Platform Bar for the venue and the steak sandwiches that went down a treat, and everyone for their beer :)

I had the arduous task of assisting with judging on the day, I know I know but someone's got to do it. I enjoyed some good stouts and porters and a quick guest spot on the American IPAs...
Round that off with a quick schooner of Stone and Wood Draught as if the day wasn't good enough...
Good to meet some of the Canberra boys and other guest judges and participate in another enjoyable competition day.

Then I went to a dance with the two kids as penance and spent an hour or so running around after my two in a room of over hyped 1-6 year olds :)

If there are any full bottles remaining, submitted in case of 'best in show' - (I submitted 7 )- would it be practicable for someone to bring them along to BABBs so they can be passed around?

:super:

If there are any full bottles remaining, submitted in case of 'best in show' - (I submitted 7 )- would it be practicable for someone to bring them along to BABBs so they can be passed around?
Bribie, Bribie, didn't you learn from Babbs presentation night that the first place winning beers don't make it out of judging day? :)

You might be lucky, depends on how long the canberra boys stayed on at Ross's perhaps ;) :)

Bribie, Bribie, didn't you learn from Babbs presentation night that the first place winning beers don't make it out of judging day? :)

You might be lucky, depends on how long the canberra boys stayed on at Ross's perhaps ;)

They are probably in a lab in Canberra being analysed as we speak :ph34r: I'll just have to bring some more along :beerbang:

They are probably in a lab in Canberra being analysed as we speak :ph34r: I'll just have to bring some more along :beerbang:

Michael .. what happens at the Qld championships stays at the Qld championships .............................

:eek:

That's all right, any of you bastards coming down to Canberra, I'll see that you're plastered, and send you off on the 'other' tour of Fyshwick!

Forgot to mention a BIG THANKS to Mel for convincing me to change my labels from 2008 BJCP guidelines to 2009 AABC when i dropped them off to her shop.
When do we have to have the national entries in and where??

Cheers Brad

Forgot to mention a BIG THANKS to Mel for convincing me to change my labels from 2008 BJCP guidelines to 2009 AABC when i dropped them off to her shop.
When do we have to have the national entries in and where??

Cheers Brad

Brad,

Keep an eye on the www.aabc.org website, as details will be posted shortly - Cut off date likely to be end of 1st week October.

+++

BABBS members - If you want to drop your entries at our shop, the club will be supplying free postage to Canberra.
We will treat your entries like our own (as ours will be in the same cases), but we accept no liabillity for breakages etc.

Cheers Ross

Good thing I'll be a member this Thurs then. Unless the committe knocked back my application. Will bring a bottle of each to BABBS and the entries to your shop.

Cheers Brad

Good thing I'll be a member this Thurs then. Unless the committe knocked back my application. Will bring a bottle of each to BABBS and the entries to your shop.

Cheers Brad

I think someone black balled you :p Someone called Chap Chap from memory :lol:

See you Thursday Brad :party:

Cheers ross

Latest posts

Back