2009 Queensland Amatuer Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question about entries in the Nationals from a noob.

D1. Qualification. The first three placegetters at State/Territory Championships
automatically qualify for entry to the Australian Amateur Brewing Championship in the same
year (see D8 for resolving tied scores). A maximum of three entries in any category will be
accepted from each State/Territory.

So in, for example, Category 4 with 6 styles there could conceivably be 18 beers that qualify for that Category. How does that fit with the three entries per Category rule?

Campbell.
confused.

A question about entries in the Nationals from a noob.

D1. Qualification. The first three placegetters at State/Territory Championships
automatically qualify for entry to the Australian Amateur Brewing Championship in the same
year (see D8 for resolving tied scores). A maximum of three entries in any category will be
accepted from each State/Territory.

So in, for example, Category 4 with 6 styles there could conceivably be 18 beers that qualify for that Category. How does that fit with the three entries per Category rule?

Campbell.
confused.

Campbell,
In the category no mater how many styles there are there is still only 3 places and it could be any of the styles in that category.

cheers

Browndog

Campbell,

There were only 3 place getters in each catergory (the 3 highest scores). The sub-style entered is irrelevant. 1st, 2nd & 3rd may have all been from the same sub-style. Lesser scores in the same or other sub-styles don't qualify.
Have a look at the results table & hopefully it will make sense

cheers Ross

Campbell/Brewers

The entry form will be up on the site later this week. They are making a few small changes to the old format.

+++

YES - Your qualification entitles you to an entry in the said catagory - You make pick a new substyle if you wish.

Cheers Ross

Not sure if this affects any place getters in QLD but in S.A the SABSOSA also states

"SUBMITTING ENTRIES TO THIS YEARS AABC 2009 BEING JUDGED THIS YEAR IN CANBERRA"

Prizes are awarded for the best three beers in each category and are invited to contend in the Australian Amateur Brewing Championship,(AABC). Each of these entries must score 60% or higher. This year judging will be held in Canberra.

BYB

BYB,

We did not set a limit, but all Qld placegetters acheived 60% or higher, so either way they have all qualified.

cheers Ross

I think it should be pointed out (I'm sure someone queried this earlier) that it is only 2 entries per category if you had two placings in that category, not like the State comps where you can enter two beers in each category of different styles.
So basically it's one entry per placing per category.
I know this has caused some confusion before as some people think they can enter two different beers for each placing.
Ross, you might like to confirm this to save confusion.

Cheers
Andrew

Yes, to clarify - Eached placed beer (1st, 2nd or 3rd) in a Category, entitles you to 1 entry in the nationals in that same category (any sub-style). EG: If you got a 1st & 3rd place in a single category then you can enter 2 beers total in that category.
If you have any confusion, please feel free to call me Tel: 38412600.

Cheers Ross

So expanding on what Andrew just said:

I picked up placings in Category 1, namely 1.5 and 1.6 so I can re-enter (or re-brew and re-enter if I wish) in those styles but won't be able to enter a 1.2 for example.

My FES got a placing in Category 12, namely a 12.1 and I am able to re-enter it, but I would not be allowed to slip in a 12.2 (RIS) instead.

That's what I had been querying earlier, now all is clear. Thanks Andrew.

Also on the point of a score of 60% I guess that is to cover the hypothetical although unlikely, situation where only three Pilseners Category 3 got entered in a State comp and they were all very poor and were scored say 12 15 and 16 , nevertheless they would still, I guess, have to be given 1st 2nd and 3rd in the State but not be allowed to go onto the Nats and inflict them on the poor judges :rolleyes:

Something similar happened to me in the BABBS comp with a partial stout I entered based on a Can o Coopers and it picked up best kit beer by virtue of it being the only kit/partial in the comp (that category is being scrapped from next BABBs comp) but it acquitted itself well by actually coming 3rd in the FES / AUS class so all forgiven. :icon_cheers:

Edit: Ross beat me

So expanding on what Andrew just said:

I picked up placings in Category 1, namely 1.5 and 1.6 so I can re-enter (or re-brew and re-enter if I wish) in those styles but won't be able to enter a 1.2 for example.

My FES got a placing in Category 12, namely a 12.1 and I am able to re-enter it, but I would not be allowed to slip in a 12.2 (RIS) instead.

That's what I had been querying earlier, now all is clear. Thanks Andrew.
Bribie, that's not quite right....

You placed twice in Category 1, overall, regardless of sub style, so you may enter two beers in category one, from any two sub styles you choose. So you can re-enter your 1.5 and 1.6 beers if you wish, or re-brew them, but you can also brew yourself a 1.1, 1.2 etc.

Ditto your FES can become a RIS if you wish...

Each placing in a Category give you one entry to the National comp in that category, regardless of sub styles.

Just got the results over the phone. I can view the net but cannot download from my holiday destination in Yamba

Anway I am completely stoked with first place from my American brown. That started out as a recipe I got from Browndog some time ago, was always good so cheers mate :icon_cheers:

Thanks to all for their efforts, much appreciated.

As usual WA means wait awhile... we have to wait until awards night to see what actual place we got! Ill be happy with Third!

Just got the results over the phone. I can view the net but cannot download from my holiday destination in Yamba

Anway I am completely stoked with first place from my American brown. That started out as a recipe I got from Browndog some time ago, was always good so cheers mate :icon_cheers:

Well done KOS, I hope you do as well in the Nationals. Is the recipe on AHB by any chance?

Andrew

But what if I came fourth, :eek: & the guy ahead of me did a BIAB & No chill beer!
Can I still enter the nationals?

Cheers

Paul

Well done Daryl, I'm looking forward to seeing and brewing the recipe mate, best I could manage in that cat. was 11th. Its a bit frustrating when one year the judges say the beer is too big for the style and the next year they say the exact same beer is not big enough. No more ABAs in comps for me.

cheers

Browndog

Back