2008 Nsw Xmas Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a NS summer ale for last years HAG Xmas swap and got some feedback of citrus and pineapple flavours, unfortunately I didn't have any left to compare to the feedback. Havent been able to get hold of any NS flowers for a while to brew it again.

I know where there is a 90g pack :ph34r:

but will you make it past the CAP on tap to find some hops?

The Knight Rye-der is pumping out the airlock bubbles. ITs certanly going to be something different thats for sure :)

cheers

Barls - you're in at number 21

I cant make it. :(

Barls - you're in at number 21

I cant make it. :(

Sorry to hear that Steve. Best to pull out early and let the fresh reserves into the sway. Our loss with your dropping out but I'm sure the next bloke will be good to. Barls is it !! well you know you'll get a ripper brew from the young Sinbad the sailor !

Just bottled my preliminary effort (32 bottles !! plenty of tasters to make sure the entry is okay). Not to BJCP styles and not the blood red I wanted (carared not as red as I thought) but sort of a altbier/ dunkel (malt profile anyway) with more hoppiness than the styles sit with. Call it an americanised altbier.

Will put another batch similiar (with more carared, possibly some chocolate malt and munich) in later this week as a "just in case" brew.

Have you fermented your entry yet ? If not, get cracking !

I tasted my Flanders brown yesterday. It's been sitting in a bucket for six weeks while the bugs do their thing, but they've still only chewed through six points - I reckon they've still got another 14 to go before I can bottle it and be confident I'm not delivering bombs. Hopefully the warmer whether will spur them into action, otherwise I'll have to enact plan 'B' pretty soon.

Cheers,

Jon

I bottled the blonde yesterday, finished dry at 1008 and the little bit I accidentally spilt into a glass tasted pretty good.

As a swap virgin, how do I identify the bottles, my list number on the lid?, fancy label complete with recipe details and ABV? Both?

cheers

grant

I bottled the blonde yesterday, finished dry at 1008 and the little bit I accidentally spilt into a glass tasted pretty good.

As a swap virgin, how do I identify the bottles, my list number on the lid?, fancy label complete with recipe details and ABV? Both?

cheers

grant

Put the bottle number only on the lid. When you look down on 28 beers in milk crates its easier to identify your brew, rather than looking for names or little stickers or whatever. Grant, in your case, put a small line under the number nine to differentuate from the number 6. A few blokes whack labels on the bottles (Nifty's dog labels are a family favourite with my kids so I can't reuse those bottles !) and I think one day I will too go down the label road (but we all know I won't).

Put details of your beer into the "Articles" thread above and if you particularly like your brew, whack it into the Recipes section.

Looking forward to the beers on offer - come on Xmas !

Just racked the Knight Rye-der

Tasted nice and spicy.....big rye flavour. Smooth and creamy mouth feel with a dry finnish. Some funky Belgian character. Nice copper colour, mild and smooth malt flavours.............. should be a good beer.

Not really a Belgian Dubbel.......... doesnt have the dark flavours, not rally a roggen... too strong and belgian yeast......... It was never going to be a style beer. It will be what it is!

cheers

Just racked the Knight Rye-der ..

It was never going to be a style beer. It will be what it is!

cheers

Just like you, Tony, not to style, an individualist ! :D

Only ever had one rye beer (I can remember) and it was very good. I'm looking forward to yours and them maybe having a crack at one myself.

As the self appointed beer nazi for this swap , has everyone got their entry bottled yet (or at least lagering away if applicable ). If not, extract the proverbial digit and get to it !

As the self appointed beer nazi for this swap , has everyone got their entry bottled yet (or at least lagering away if applicable ). If not, extract the proverbial digit and get to it !
Was a bit tardy this time around, but put my weizenbock on Saturday.
Fermenting away nicely with the help of some newly aqquired WLP 300.
Originally planned to make it into a HUGE beer of 9%+, instead I beld back on the malt...not to mention a shit efficiency on the mash...and its set to get to 6-7% instead.
I'm enough happy with it though! :)

Will make a backup beer this weekend, just in case...

Ummm. :unsure:

Well, I've changed the beer I'm brewing to a bitter. And they're best fresh anyway. :ph34r: :rolleyes:

Got my yeast in a 3l starter atm. Wort is in 2 cubes waiting to go. Should be ready to pitch in the next few days.

I was glad to finally get rid of all that mouldy grain and stale hops

Kabooby ;)

got the first batch sitting in the fermentor now with the second going down in a week or so.

First to bite :eek: :lol:

Mine went from 1.068 to 1.012. 7.4% abv.

Just tasted it from secondary and its tasting bloody great. Spicy rye, belgian yeast, some spicy hops. Oily slick taxture in the mouth but dry finnish.

Cant wait till its carbed, cool and aged a bit.

Y.U.M.

I was thinkin' that people may not want a weizenbock for Christmas and that a quencher like an American amber ale might hit the spot.

If not keen, I can start the Weizenbock (recipe from BYO magazine - for those who ever wondered if these recipes are any good) next weekend. If I need a good "style" recipe, I'm confident to use the magazine for a few pointers.

I can offer the option of an American wheat ale or an American blonde ale. Or a Dampfbier. Was savin' the blonde for the HAG swap if that's acceptable. You guys have first call, though. You call it. B) I can't offer the Witbier, unless I brew another batch. requests?

The abovementioned are some of the styles that I've come to sample via case swaps, and enjoyed, and then brewed. I've made successful beers and shared them with case swappers. Don't mention the war :eek: ... I've brewed a few dogs too, as PoMo could tell you, but the average overall has been spectacular. </testify>

I have found the case swaps to be a positive influence on my brewing, and my yeast bank.

Got my yeast in a 3l starter atm. Wort is in 2 cubes waiting to go. Should be ready to pitch in the next few days.

Kabooby ;)
<fishhook bite> Is that a wort for a lambic I see before me? <reeled in>

I think I have found a wort that has been through the flood, and may have been submerged for a short time. Fit for human consumption? Questionable, but fair game for a case swap, eh?

Awaiting your feedback re the potential lambic. If we're lucky, there may be some St. Anthony's Fire (ergotism) from some mouldy rye that had started to turn purple and fuzzy. Apparently, it's nasty.

I was just being a bit cheeky :p

But you have given me a great idea

Kabooby :super:

Back