2008 Nsw Xmas Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh you've made me smile

I was going to make one soon but my Chest freezer just blew up with some help from the sister in law staying with us that lent the sofa bed cussions up against the compressor ventilation on the side

<_<

cant wait

Going to go pop my 3787 now and brew the Belgian Rye Dubbel on the weekend

cheers

Eisbock sounds great :super:

And to think I was going to mention a "Schwartz Anzac Ale" :eek:

Kabooby :)

I'd better get brewing. This beer is going to need some serious lagering between now and Dec. Have munich and vienna on hand. Will suss out how much I have left of noble hops to bitter and use the source for some yeast. You lucky bitches might even get a double decocted eisbock, but at the very least, a single decoction. I am taking a few days off over the school hols, so will reserve one to hire a special Wii game to keep the kids busy :D

I have found WLP833 CC's really well and is so clean and drinkable early while the beer is fresh

just a thought

I will shut up now before PM hates me forever :ph34r:

:p

Dunno anything about WLP lager yeasts. That is the least of my worries. Just thinking, you guys will be cool with 500ml bottles of this, right? I mean, seeing as I'll have to reduce my primary's volume by 25-30%

I cant see a problem with that.

I dont think it will be a "two schooner" session beer anyway will it mate :)

cheers

Sounds fine to me, PoMo.

Does that also mean that those who put in mid-strength numbers should provide a couple of litres? ;)

Sounds fine to me, PoMo.

Does that also mean that those who put in mid-strength numbers should provide a couple of litres? ;)
Woo hoo, Growler swap! Growler swap!

I was a bit concerned about the need for a long-neck of Eisbock, being so strong, and all. Be aware that, if the excise guys turn up, it has recently been posted that freeze-distillation may be illegal. Feign ignorance!

As for you Tony, I only put down the Weizenbock as a tentative selection. We're not locked in yet. I just thought that the NSW case swap guys would like the Weizenbock that I made for the HAG case last December. I refuse to be predictable and reserve the option to change this choice. Besides, I didn't think that anyone would be able to drink an Imperial Berliner Weisse :lol: . I still have about 220 ml of 88% lactic acid in case it's not sour enough for anyone. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, Dampfbier, anyone? I'm making one soon, regardless.

I was a bit concerned about the need for a long-neck of Eisbock, being so strong, and all. Be aware that, if the excise guys turn up, it has recently been posted that freeze-distillation may be illegal. Feign ignorance!

If any fed asks, it's a regular old doppelbock. ;) ;)

Forgot to add.......... just cracked the grain for the Belgian Rye Dubbel.

Oh boy....... here we go with the Rye again. I swore black and blue last time mever again but i have a bit more experience and a proven set up to brew with this time.

Cant wait!

Brewing 40 liters of 1.073 BJCP misfit beer!

cheers

Guys, I have a bit of a dilemma...

I have brewed a pale ale, it is currently sitting in the fermenter with not much left to go... my problem is that I don't like pineapple. How is this relevant? Well the beer tastes a lot like pineapple.

My dillema is, do I use this in the case swap assuming other people are not as offended as me when tasting pineapple or do I brew a beer that I myself would love to drink? My Mrs has tasted the beer and says she really likes it. She is a pale ale fan and a pineapple fan...

What do you think guys? I have a few reserve beers I can brew in the next week or so, hefeweizen, bo pils.

It just doesnt seem right to me to put in a beer that I probably would not enjoy drinking myself...

Cheers
Hewy

I dont think anyone can make that decision for you

Go with your gut feeling on it

cheers

I dont think anyone can make that decision for you

Go with your gut feeling on it

cheers

Hmm, I think it would be a good summer drinking beer if you like pineapple.

I think I will brew another beer and use it. It just doesn't feel right submitting something that I am not 100% happy with.

Cheers
Hewy

Hmm, I think it would be a good summer drinking beer if you like pineapple.

I think I will brew another beer and use it. It just doesn't feel right submitting something that I am not 100% happy with.

Cheers
Hewy

Sounds like a smart play that you are going to brew another beer, bring along some of your "pineapple" beer to the swap. Never brewed or tasted anything that has a pineapple taste so be in it, so intrigued. You might find someone who will diagnose the problem for you too !

Guys, I have a bit of a dilemma...

I have brewed a pale ale, it is currently sitting in the fermenter with not much left to go... my problem is that I don't like pineapple. How is this relevant? Well the beer tastes a lot like pineapple.

My dillema is, do I use this in the case swap assuming other people are not as offended as me when tasting pineapple or do I brew a beer that I myself would love to drink? My Mrs has tasted the beer and says she really likes it. She is a pale ale fan and a pineapple fan...

What do you think guys? I have a few reserve beers I can brew in the next week or so, hefeweizen, bo pils.

It just doesnt seem right to me to put in a beer that I probably would not enjoy drinking myself...

Cheers
Hewy
I brewed a magnificent pineapple lager a long time ago, in ye days of extract brew.
I used W1214, and managed to ferment warm enough to produce a fine pineapple flavoured lager. I think I still have some bottles of it (brew date 6th May 1999). The fruit has gone now, but so has all the hop flavour and bitterness.

FWIW, best not to share that brew, unless it comes good by swap day (if you feel like sharing at that stage). ;)

Sounds like a smart play that you are going to brew another beer, bring along some of your "pineapple" beer to the swap. Never brewed or tasted anything that has a pineapple taste so be in it, so intrigued. You might find someone who will diagnose the problem for you too !

There is nothing wrong with it as such... I was just a bit heavy handed on some hops I havent used before. They smelled great going in and fermentation smelled awesome but once fermentation was finished it was pineapple BIG time.

Definitley a beer that pineapple lovers would like but like I said, not a fan.

Anyway I have already started on my plan B...

Cheers
Hewy

There is nothing wrong with it as such... I was just a bit heavy handed on some hops I havent used before. They smelled great going in and fermentation smelled awesome but once fermentation was finished it was pineapple BIG time.

Definitley a beer that pineapple lovers would like but like I said, not a fan.

Anyway I have already started on my plan B...

Cheers
Hewy

What hops? I've found that after several months in the bottle some beers settle down, the "hoppiness" for want of a better term diminishes (or matures ?).

Last case swap I canned a brew that tasted quite ordinary after fermentation finished. Thought it a dud so kegged it rather than bottling, naturally carbed it and put away for 3 months. When finally cracked found it an outstanding brew. Certainly better IMHO than that which I eventually submitted. It to was overhopped but was great last month. Bring some bottles of your pineapple beer on swap day for tasting - always the best part of the day is tasting other guys brews and chatting about beer (along with a BBQ).

What hops? I've found that after several months in the bottle some beers settle down, the "hoppiness" for want of a better term diminishes (or matures ?).

Last case swap I canned a brew that tasted quite ordinary after fermentation finished. Thought it a dud so kegged it rather than bottling, naturally carbed it and put away for 3 months. When finally cracked found it an outstanding brew. Certainly better IMHO than that which I eventually submitted. It to was overhopped but was great last month. Bring some bottles of your pineapple beer on swap day for tasting - always the best part of the day is tasting other guys brews and chatting about beer (along with a BBQ).

The hops were galaxy, it was a one hop beer. I have already kegged it and will see how it ages. Might transfer some of it to bottles for the swap day or might even bring the keg, depending on where the swap takes place...

Cheers
Hewy

The hops were galaxy, it was a one hop beer. I have already kegged it and will see how it ages. Might transfer some of it to bottles for the swap day or might even bring the keg, depending on where the swap takes place...

Cheers
Hewy
This whole pineapple thing has me fascinated! If you're not confident with the quality of that particular brew, you've got plenty of time to make another...but by all means bring it along to the swap...i'm very interested to try it! :icon_cheers:
I recently got hold of some Galaxy and have been keen to give it a blast in a single hop beer. The possibility of having a "pineapple" type of hop character intrigues me!

Back