2008 Nsw Xmas Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sets the bar nice and high for those of us who are first timers in a swap, are you going to come round and beat the sh1t out of me if you don't like my entry :unsure:

No, case swap beer nazis don't whinge about the quality of the brew, just those who pull out in the last weeks with pissy excuses or don't turn up. You'll set your own standard of brewing - give us your best and we'll all be happy. This is a chance for case swap virgins to experiment a little, try something a little different. Brew within your limits but do the best you can and we'll appreciate the efforts. I'll reiterate the major point I was making, brew now to ensure the final case beer is a good one. If it doesn't work out, you'll have plenty of time to do another one. If you leave it to the last moment and you get a dude, then don't expect a sympathetic response.

That's an old list, barls. The real, up to date one is in the Articles section. I've put you down as first reserve.

Brew a batch anyway Barls just in case. Chances are someone won't make it to the finish line.

Have you seen fatgodzlla? You should be scared.

Driving down Mount Ousley in a car loaded with beer, with dodgy brakes, singing "Nearer My God To Thee "is enough to scare everyone !

Scared of FGZ............ why? He's not scary.

Ah shucks, Tony, you know I'm a big softie !!!

No, case swap beer nazis don't whinge about the quality of the brew, just those who pull out in the last weeks with pissy excuses or don't turn up. You'll set your own standard of brewing - give us your best and we'll all be happy. This is a chance for case swap virgins to experiment a little, try something a little different. Brew within your limits but do the best you can and we'll appreciate the efforts. I'll reiterate the major point I was making, brew now to ensure the final case beer is a good one. If it doesn't work out, you'll have plenty of time to do another one. If you leave it to the last moment and you get a dude, then don't expect a sympathetic response.

Being new to AG I just don't know how what I brew stands up, I would never submit a beer I didn't think was good and wouldn't enjoy drinking myself. I agree with your point about brewing now. I'll be doing my dunkelweizen this weekend leaving my heaps of time for a plan B (or C) if needed.

Being new to AG I just don't know how what I brew stands up, I would never submit a beer I didn't think was good and wouldn't enjoy drinking myself. I agree with your point about brewing now. I'll be doing my dunkelweizen this weekend leaving my heaps of time for a plan B (or C) if needed.

Good stuff DS. My first case swap beer was the last Xmas swap and I wasn't at AG stage then. I submitted an extract dry malt and kit (50% malt bill each) with three american hop varieties added at various stages. It was the best I could do at the time and I think a good beer well liked by the swappers. My lessons then were concentrating on hop varieties and additions rather than AG worts. Not long after that I moved to AG. If I hadn't of done that case swap I wouldn't have made that brew, wouldn't have learnt from the exercise and wouldn't have tasted a number of fantastic beers and styles that has pushed me further down the brewing road.

I made two beers for the mid year swap - the first seemed poor at the end of fermentation (but three months in the keg made it very drinkable) and the second was piss. My third was an easy drinking ale that seemed to go down okay. The beauty was I had time to brew a replacement. I've said my piece on that matter and will leave it at that.

Case swaps of this type are not an eliteism exercise. If someone submits a K & K I'd be happy if I know its the best they can do (at that stage of their brewing life). You quickly adjust your concept of homebrewing when you taste some of the beers our fellow HBers produce. It makes you want to improve your brewing, makes you want to expand away from simple beers into more complex styles. That said I like it when experienced brewers make the effort to put in something different (and in my eyes exotic). They can so they did. That said the mid year swap had a Morgans Blue Mountains lager that was quite nice and showed that you can make something drinkable if you take the time and do it properly.

My bent for the next few brews is english and scottish ales of various types because I have a lot of Marris Otter pale ale and a big bag of EKG. Something along this line will make up my entry with the working title "Roadkill Ale".

So DiscoStu, I really hope your dunkelweisssen is a success cos I love dunkelweissen. The simple guide to whether it is good enough for the case swap should be if you like it, then others will too. Trust your own instincts. Glad to have you and the other case swap virgins on board - you'll love what you're getting into.

PPS .. rather than someone's house, is there a park or something easily accessible in Sydney that we can meet at to swap the beer. That way you can bring wives and children along too. Must have a barbie .. Josh's was great last time but I missed a BBQ. Just a random thought.

PPS .. rather than someone's house, is there a park or something easily accessible in Sydney that we can meet at to swap the beer. That way you can bring wives and children along too. Must have a barbie .. Josh's was great last time but I missed a BBQ. Just a random thought.

Whether it be a park or someones house I might be tempted to make the trip up from Canbeera.
Cheers
Steve

thats what im planning maybe my raspberry wheat, havent made a batch of that in a while.

1. Josh
2. DK - McDK's Scottish 80/- - 9C. Scottish Export 80/- -
3. Stuster
4. Fatgodzilla ..Aussie Roadkill Ale .. a meaty, blood red mess of a brew. Not for the weak stomached !
5. nifty
6. monkeybusiness
7. DiscoStu
8. jonw
9. Grantw - Belgian Blonde Ale
10. Cortez The Killer
11. Crozdog
12. Schooey
13. Kabooby
14. Retsamhsam
15. Thommo
16. Muggus - Schwarzbier or Weizenbock... the tough decisions in life!
17. Tony - Belgian Rye Dubbel - 50% Rye, 3787, 1.070
18. Insight
19. Gulpa
20. Redb
21. Steve - Tonys EKG Bitter
22. Beer Slayer
23. Homebrewworld
24. Hewy
25. PoMo
26. MCT
27. Matt n AJ
28. Les the Weizguy - Weizenbock (at this stage)

Reserves
29. barls
You trying to poison us Barls ? :p
Maybe not Barls, but I sure am! :lol:
Weizenbock poisoning, anyone? B)

I need more Weizenbock practice, although the last one turned out well, it's good to achieve some "task reinforcement".
I hope that this doesn't sway you from doing a weizenbock, Muggus. Great Christmas drinking, IMHO.

Les out

1. Josh
3. Stuster
4. Fatgodzilla ..Aussie Roadkill Ale .. a meaty, blood red mess of a brew. Not for the weak stomached !
5. nifty
6. monkeybusiness
7. DiscoStu
8. jonw
10. Cortez The Killer
11. Crozdog
12. Schooey - Red Wee Heavy, WY1728, 1.076, 7.3%
13. Kabooby
14. Retsamhsam
15. Thommo
16. Muggus - Schwarzbier or Weizenbock... the tough decisions in life!
18. Insight
19. Gulpa
20. Redb
21. Steve - Tonys EKG Bitter
22. Beer Slayer
23. Homebrewworld
24. Hewy
25. PoMo
26. MCT
27. Matt n AJ
28. Les the Weizguy - Weizenbock (at this stage)

Reserves
29. barls

Doing a Wee Heavy/Irish Red hybrid thingy not to any style, just something I want to try. Maris with a fair slug of Carared, Cararoma and some malted oats for a bit of extra mouthfeel. Hopped with EKG all the way, and its going down tomorrow

12. Schooey - Red Wee Heavy, WY1728, 1.076, 7.3%
Doing a Wee Heavy/Irish Red hybrid thingy not to any style, just something I want to try. Maris with a fair slug of Carared, Cararoma and some malted oats for a bit of extra mouthfeel. Hopped with EKG all the way, and its going down tomorrow

Great choice big fella. Something along same lines as mine. Grains the same though adding Vienna malt too. Using PoR for bittering and tossing up on the finishing hops. I want a hop bite / aroma component rather than just a malt component as with Scottish ales. Trying to get mine as red as possible so have a few mini brews planned before the final attempt.

Maybe not Barls, but I sure am! Weizenbock poisoning, anyone?

Death by excessive weizenbock !! Let's take the HG Nelson approach .. when too much weizenbock is never enough ! Go Les !

Disaster Strikes on my first attempt for the case swap.

Everything was going well for my first AG batch which was going my dunkelweizen for the case swap. Mashed in, stable temp for a 90min mash, then I started filling the keggle from the mash tun. Didn't notice the ball valve on the keggle was slightly open. I reckon I lost about 4-5 litres of first runnings :angry: .

The boil went ok but after transferring to the fermentor and no chill over night I only ended up with 20Lt at 1.048 not the 25Lt at 1.052 I was planning.

Could have topped it up to 23Lt but I reckon I'd have ended up with a beer just on 4% ABV, so I pitched the yeast into 20Lt and will have to have another go in a couple of weeks.

Guess I'll just have to drink my first attempt :chug:

I don't know what to brew for the case swap, so I'll leave it to the collective :) TELL me what to brew (within reason, no sour mashes, no fancy schmancy random grain bills) and I'll brew it. Will be a bucket o' malt, floating mash, no-chilled brew.

This is a serious challenge. Someone (whoever is in the swap that posts first) name the style, preferably someone who knows me and my brewing at least vaguely, and I'll brew it*.

*I reserve the right to veto anything contrary to my core beer and/or food values.

Bilo Draught.

Did I win?

EDIT: Southern English Brown, just to keep it serious and back on track

Les im really suprised.......... your brewing a weizenbock! :eek:

:p

bugger was going to say Eisbock

Good idea Tony, I could always edit my post before he checks it.

He did say "serious Challange"

THis is a beer i want to try and brew........ and will one day, but have not yet because of the "serious challenges" involved.

What do you say PM?

Im brewing with 55% rye and 20% wheat, should be fun...... not

Bilo Draught.

Did I win?

EDIT: Southern English Brown, just to keep it serious and back on track
Bilo Draught. Kthxbye :p

Southern English Brown... hmmm.

He did say "serious Challange"

THis is a beer i want to try and brew........ and will one day, but have not yet because of the "serious challenges" involved.

What do you say PM?

Eisbock would be a challenge indeed. I have a fridgemate and chest freezer, and can do 45L boils... so it's not impossible.

I did say first beer mentioned tho.... :) But Southern Brown = yawn....

I'll sleep on it

Oooooooo i scared him

Rightio.... Eisbock is a scary oponent.

How about a Christmas beer!

BJCP 21-B

I don't need to sleep on it. Eisbock it will be. Prepare ye 2008 Xmascaseswapper New South Welshmen. I'm up to the challenge, Tony.

1. Josh
3. Stuster
5. nifty
6. monkeybusiness
7. DiscoStu - Dunkelweizen
8. jonw
10. Cortez The Killer
11. Crozdog
12. Schooey
13. Kabooby
14. Retsamhsam
15. Thommo
16. Muggus - Weizenbock... or Alpha Male Pale Ale (NZPA) if that turns out not so good
18. Insight
19. Gulpa
20. Redb
21. Steve - Tonys EKG Bitter, 6kgs Marris Otter, 2kgs Wey Pils, 500gms Light crystal, 500gms BB Wheat, 100gms Cararoma, EKG at 45, 15 & 0, SO4 dry yeast
22. Beer Slayer
23. Homebrewworld
24. Hewy
25. PoMo - Eisbock
26. MCT
27. Matt n AJ
28. Les

Reserves
29. barls
30. MartinS

Latest posts

Back