2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well at least I'm not the only one with the problem, that's something I guess!

Doing a bit of searching it seems it may be a Potassium deficiency. Here's one link with quick pictures: http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/min-def/hops.htm

I might have a look at what sort of supplement I can get and see if this makes a difference.

Hi Guys,

it has probably been mentioned before on this topic, but i couldnt find anything. I know a lot og guys who have had stalled hops because of a cold snap in the weather. Think of this as a false spring/winter cycle. Hops wont flower (usually) in the first year, and normally only minimally in the second year so if you have new rizomes that were growing along nicely, had a cold snap and they stalled dont worry too much as they should take off again with warmer weather. you may even get some flowers in the first year.

Nird

Hops were growing strong until a few weeks ago, but they stopped growing and many of the existing leaves started to die off. They're well watered (the same with all my veggies / herbs, which are very happy) and the soil has plenty of organic matter.
Any thoughts on what it could be?
View attachment 22787

This looks like Mite damage to me, not Virus or nutrient defficiency. Try spraying with an oil based product, same spray you use on tomatoes, roses or indoor plants. Make sure the label says control of mites, like this one. I was away from my hops for about 3 weeks and some have been completely defoliated. I have sprayed them and waiting for the response.

mmmm well by the looks of it mine is quite possibly ApMV-infected. <_<

btw cheers for the info Darren.

Maybe the leaves have done their job and are finishing up? If it is only the older leaves then dont worry! if it is all your leaves dont bother with chemical sprays. Use some liquid seasol as a foliar spray, this acts as a plant tonic, use it in combination with powerfeed as this has all required plant nutrients.

...G'Day Daemon, if your location is Toowoomba then you're about 12-1500 Kms too far north to get much out of your hops...not enough daylight hours up here as i've discovered moving from Canberra...almost all our local hops are grown in Tassie ( and Vic)... and of course NZ hops do very well even further South...maybe your hops might be in need of more daylight hours than they can get...this is just a guess...good luck...

I'm up in Bundy, getting a reasonable harvest every year. It will never be a commercial harvest as per down south, but heaps over a couple of plants.

Looking at the leaf pic I'm also going something like mites, or maybe over fertilising.

QldKev

This looks like Mite damage to me, not Virus or nutrient defficiency. Try spraying with an oil based product, same spray you use on tomatoes, roses or indoor plants. Make sure the label says control of mites, like this one. I was away from my hops for about 3 weeks and some have been completely defoliated. I have sprayed them and waiting for the response.
Cheers, I'll have a look at the underside of the leaves to check for mites.
Maybe the leaves have done their job and are finishing up? If it is only the older leaves then dont worry! if it is all your leaves dont bother with chemical sprays. Use some liquid seasol as a foliar spray, this acts as a plant tonic, use it in combination with powerfeed as this has all required plant nutrients.
Not really the leaves that are "done", it's certainly something not right with the plant. I gave it a dose of Seasol and Powerfeed on the weekend, I've put Seasol on twice before that (once when planted and about two months ago).
...G'Day Daemon, if your location is Toowoomba then you're about 12-1500 Kms too far north to get much out of your hops...not enough daylight hours up here as i've discovered moving from Canberra...almost all our local hops are grown in Tassie ( and Vic)... and of course NZ hops do very well even further South...maybe your hops might be in need of more daylight hours than they can get...this is just a guess...good luck...
I fully expect that my yields won't be as much as if I was in Tassie, however I haven't even got to the point where I have any yields yet:) I'm growing my own out of interest rather than to replace what I buy, if I get any usable hops I'll be happy. I know there are others in the area who are growing POR and Cascade with reasonable yields, certainly enough to warrant the effort.
I'm up in Bundy, getting a reasonable harvest every year. It will never be a commercial harvest as per down south, but heaps over a couple of plants.

Looking at the leaf pic I'm also going something like mites, or maybe over fertilising.

QldKev
I haven't really applied too much fertiliser yet, just the same as I apply for the veggies etc. Nothing too heavy, I use Seasol for planting and then every now and then and then mainly organic fertilisers (blood & bone etc). Just bought some Powerfeed on the weekend to try as I saw it was recommended.

Mites like the new growth so if your new leaves unfold and already look like they have been attacked its likely spider mites. Cant see them but you can sometimes see ultra fine webs if you get them at the right angle normally near the growing tips.

Have in the past used soap based sprays (chilli and garlic with a few drops of hand soap), white oil and even fly spray (and instant remedy but one that needs to be repeated).

I also have a massive number of earwigs and harlequin bugs in my garden so am keeping busy trapping them (earwig trap that is collecting 50-100 earwigs a day is rolled up newspaper smeared with grease from the bbq). the harlequin bugs are normally associated with fruit trees but they seem to like crawling on my hops......

All of my plants are doing very well apart from the Cluster which stopped completely after growing 3 feet. Tried spraying it with various concoctions, fertilising it, mulching etc and its still frozen in time. Looks the healthiest of the lot. Weird.

I doubt it is mites. Mite damage is quite different and can be easily id'd from the underside of the leaves - look for webbing and you can just see the small mites with the 2 distinct dark spots (2 spotted mite). You may also have red spider mite which is similar. On the upper surface of leaves, they will go yellow and shrivel and eventually die and fall off. If you have mites, a spray of wettable sulfur is best but make sure you have mites firstly. Mites tend to attack stressed or weakened plants, or in response to a broad spectrum spray which kills of their beneficial natural enemies and thus the mites explode. I find it more of a problem with tettnang, which probably isn't really suited to my area. I also find beneficial small black ladybirds and other predators fix the problem pretty quickly without intervention. If growing in a glasshouse, mites will be more of a problem.

Could be any number of causes but I think it's just that they are early growing shoots, which will probably be replaced by more vigorous shoots later. Some varieties do this more than others and is probably dependent on climate and age of the rhizome. All you can do is wait and see. The mild weather in the southern half of the continent could certainly be playing a role too.

Could also be overwatering/underwatering/overfertilising/underfertilising.

I can't believe how many are buying powerfeed. Anything with N, P and K will be fine. Plants can't tell the difference between powerfeed and another brand. Seasol too - it contains various nutrients and is bloody expensive for what it is, and it makes a lot of claims that aren't backed by any science, but if it works for you and you're happy then that's fine. First year plants will need less than older established plants. As they grow more during the season they will need more. Giving them heaps now if they are small is just sending most of it through the soil profile to china.

Less is more sometimes.

L.

homemade worm farm juice > seasol

I think it is an idea to not let them grow too fast with lots of feeding. It has been cool (and cold) recently, but sure enough there will be hot days very soon that will hit like a hammer, and may well burn the crap out of any new super juicy/fleshy growth.

In my experience bugs go straight for this kind of growth over anything else available too.

Hmmm... well mine look identical to Daemon's. (Curled leaves, white on the edges)

Definately don't have the Cascade disease Darren mentioned as that looks like the leaves should have brown discolouration and mine don't.

Have been giving mine a lot of water so might ease off - they also appear like perhaps something has been nibbling so might have to spray. Spider mites could be the issue.

Hopper.

I reckon my Chinook and POR #1 grew about 15cm today! They had stalled a while back but seem to have taken off again in the last week or so. POR #2 is a bit behind and not in an ideal position so I'm not sure how well it will go.

I noticed a new shoot on both my POR's (both in pots still being a renter). One is really kicking off now, starting to crawl its way up some string i have hanging down from the pergola out the back.

New green leaves, and no sign of bugs etc. Some of my lower leaves are a bit dry and withered though...

My cascade grew so much over three days it shot about four feet above my last training wire, then the wind promptly busted the two shoots off.

I quickly cut them up, dipped them in rooting powder and have them in pots, they should shoot and I will get some nice rhizomes for trade next year out of it all :)

I had to start somewhere and better late than never I suppose. No hope for this year but should get good growth for the rhyzomes next season. Big 600mm pots with potting mix and cow poo. I rigged up the drip system with mostly bits and pieces I had lying round and will have it on a timer with my lawn sprinklers.

From left to right they are cascade, perle, tettnang, hersbrucker and goldings.

hops1.jpg
hops2.jpg
hops3.jpg

My chinook is looking more stuffed by the day. It has grown to about 1 metre but stopped a while ago and now is just looking sicker and sicker.
My Columbus has done nothing from its first shoot that emerged and that has been it.
I think I will ignore them and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back