2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just got out of hospital after 3 weeks in and came home to find my Goldings with hops.

IMG_9809.jpg

IMG_9813.jpg

IMG_9811.jpg

Here's a few more pics

Franko

IMG_9814.jpg

IMG_9816.jpg

Just wondering when are these things ready to pick some of them are huge

Franko

Well I just got out of hospital after 3 weeks in and came home to find my Goldings with hops.

Yeah cuz I have been watering the bloody things ,with you with your feet up .

Good Job Franko they are Real Hops they are going to make some fine ale to Christen the Red Rocket Brewery .

Red Rocket Real Ale !!

Pumpy :)

Just wondering when are these things ready to pick some of them are huge

Franko

A good summary here if you haven't seen it already. I think in short 'They should have a paper-like texture and dryness. Carefully squeeze a hop cone. If it sticks it is not ready. If it parts easily, go for your life.'

Yeah cuz I have been watering the bloody things ,with you with your feet up .

Good Job Franko they are Real Hops they are going to make some fine ale to Christen the Red Rocket Brewery .

Red Rocket Real Ale !!

Thanks Pumpy I'll share them with you for the next Chiswick Bitter brew

Franko

Thanks Pumpy I'll share them with you for the next Chiswick Bitter brew

Franko

Cool Franko Its going to be the best Chiswick with real fresh hops

Looks great Franko, mine have started to grow again now and although they're not as tall as others on here, they're getting there (hopefully....!)

I am sooooo jealous. I pulled up my Columbus and the rhizome looks rotten. I put it in a pot to try to revive it but not confident. Dont know whats up with the chinook as the tomatoes growing in the same bed are doing great.
Oh well, maybe next year with new rhizomes and different growing conditions

Franko, I have set that picture of the two hops as a Background on my Desktop looks great

pumpy

IMG_9813.jpg

I dare say we are all now just waiting for some consistent warmer weather to really see our hops kick off in earnest?

Franko's are certainly travelling nicely though...

My Tett has also stalled, the goldings has gone wild and the cascade is thriving. My nursery pots for hops is doing quite well. I'll get some pictures up.

my cascade and perle have started to get on the move now after being very dormant for a while , just waitin on chinook now it had a sprout but i think that burnt off with the sun the other week... gotta get some climbing strings up for them today ...

A couple of mine are well a truly dead. Too much water has fallen on them of late. Will have to setup better drainage for next year :(

A couple of mine are well a truly dead. Too much water has fallen on them of late. Will have to setup better drainage for next year :(

I hope they are not rotting away from the excesss water/rain?

Is it worth a closer inspection and (only if necessary) maybe moving into pots?

Would hate to hear they have rotted away and no good for next season. :( :(

I would suggest that anyone with 'dead' rhizomes leave them where they are (you have nothing to lose, right?) in case there may be struggling hair roots that will positively be destroyed if dug up. I had 2 varieties take til now from the end of June to throw up tiny shoots.

I put my trellises up with my father last weekend. Now I have 2 main worries, being wind damage, as they are pretty exposed, I picked the location for the amount of sunlight; the other concern is lightning hitting the trellises - they are gal pipe superstructures. I might donate the winter downtime of my hopyard to SETI as a receiver.

Nice one Franko,

That Mt Annan soil must be better than here. Mine are only about 6ft tall with no signs of cones yet.

Maybe I need to stop watching them

Kabooby :)

despite numerous death threats from unnamed individuals,
mine are going well ive got cones on both end ones and the hallertau has even reached the top of the trelisis.
but those that are coming to the case swap will see what i mean

I would suggest that anyone with 'dead' rhizomes leave them where they are (you have nothing to lose, right?) in case there may be struggling hair roots that will positively be destroyed if dug up. I had 2 varieties take til now from the end of June to throw up tiny shoots.

I put my trellises up with my father last weekend. Now I have 2 main worries, being wind damage, as they are pretty exposed, I picked the location for the amount of sunlight; the other concern is lightning hitting the trellises - they are gal pipe superstructures. I might donate the winter downtime of my hopyard to SETI as a receiver.

Fair call on the hair roots - just would hate to hear of them being rotten...

It would have to be a fair old sized trellis to attract lightning!

The hops seems to hold on mighty tight when crawling up whatever you have in place, my thoughts are they should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back