2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_walker

Reaction score
I thought I'd kick off this thread for 2008, because I transplanted my Hallertau today. Looking for good things from this one in 2008, after I grew it from a cutting last year! I'm hoping we've seen the last of the nasty Canberra frosts, but I've piled plenty of mulch on top to keep it warm.

I'll be hopefully also be getting a bigger crop from my 12 month old POR.

Here's the Hallertau straight out of the pot today, ready to transplant into its new home the ground near the pool fence:

rhizome.jpg

I was trying to dodge the frosts down this way too and only planted Col & Proudy (Columbus and Pride of Ringwood) a fortnight ago. Of course the frost and cold weather only seemed to begin after I got those boys in the ground :angry:
No sign of either of them at this stage. How long does it usually take to get these 'initial' cuttings growing? I didn't plant anything as large as Mr Walker

I was trying to dodge the frosts down this way too and only planted Col & Proudy (Columbus and Pride of Ringwood) a fortnight ago. Of course the frost and cold weather only seemed to begin after I got those boys in the ground :angry:
No sign of either of them at this stage. How long does it usually take to get these 'initial' cuttings growing? I didn't plant anything as large as Mr Walker

Hi Jimi,

I can't believe how cold it was this morning ... typical!

I took my cuttings last year in October, and with a bit of TLC had them growing up a twine 2-3 months later. (that's the 1yo rhizome in my photo) Don't expect any flowers from the first year though. At the same time I planted a small POR rhizome, and managed to get a very small crop from it in the first year. I can't wait to see what they'll do this year!

I documented my cutting propagation technique in this post.

Cheers,

Walker

Havent done anything with my rhizomes at all yet, still far to cold in tassie, so they are still living in the fridge in some damp paper towel in a snaplock bag.

Sounds cold fellas. :rolleyes:

Starting to warm up here is QLD and recently had about 2 weeks of straight 'end winter' sunshine.
Planted the only rhizome i could get a hold of, columbus, and within 2 weeks had 2 shoots. Another 2 weeks and now one of the shoots has about 4 small leaves and is maybe 6cm high, the other is coming slowly and has yet to sprout a leaf.

Pretty damn exciting seeing it grow (this is first attempt at hop growing).

One question, hope this is the right thread for it, should I trim it at all in the first year? As I understand from other threads it is important the first year to get a good root system so that the next year can be worth it as it will grow much more in terms of flowering.

Anyway hope it starts warming there and as the days get longer the full advantage of living in the south begins to pay off. :icon_cheers:

One question, hope this is the right thread for it, should I trim it at all in the first year? As I understand from other threads it is important the first year to get a good root system so that the next year can be worth it as it will grow much more in terms of flowering.

Anyway hope it starts warming there and as the days get longer the full advantage of living in the south begins to pay off. :icon_cheers:

I've always just let them grow. They need leaves to grow. (please note not a botanist) I always try and hit them with everything in moderation fertiliser, manure, b&b AND I'm a big user of liquid fertiliser. Keep them well mulched.

In one of the basic brewing radio podcasts, James talks to someone about growing your own and from memory talk about the first year.

Regards

AndrewW
Collie

I too planted quite small cuttings (mine were more like sticks than Mr Walker's root balls). Have one Golding now with a tiny shoot (looks like a blade of grass - not sure if its legit or a weed!), another Golding is playing possum and the Columbus just hasn't come to the party yet. Went for the straight in the ground approach. Was a bit nervous as my rhizomes were from WA and from a much warmer climate so hopefully they don't get temperature shock!

Got worried and dug them up a 2 weeks ago to check (probably foolish but had to be sure), and was relieved to see shoots are coming, they're just below the ground. Have put them back in and vowed to leave the suckers alone and let nature take its course.

The large bouts of rain and frost on the grass have been pretty nuts around Melbourne. Like you Jimi, have no idea how long it takes for these guys to take and break the ground, but I guess the minute there's good constant sun we'll find out if they're all good.

Patience my friend :D

No sign of POR or cluster in the adelaide hills!

My Tettnang and Goldings I planted in the ground last winter are now about 0.5cm above ground level, the Tett has two strong thick shoots showing whereas the Goldings has about 9 shoots showing.

No sign at all of my new POR and Chinook rhizomes shooting, they are in a pot.

My Columbus has poked through with 2 shoots already, but no sign of the cluster yet. REally worried about the frosts, so have been looking at the Bureau's forecast for low temps each day...so far only 5 degree lows. fingers crossed there will be no more frosts.

My Columbus has poked through with 2 shoots already, but no sign of the cluster yet. REally worried about the frosts, so have been looking at the Bureau's forecast for low temps each day...so far only 5 degree lows. fingers crossed there will be no more frosts.

Get a bit of old shade cloth and just suspend it with sticks above the shoots, that should protect them from getting the ice forming on them, which is what will kill them, another option is to use a glass bottle, filled with a kero/diesel mix with a wick set up and light it like a candle before you go to bed (make sure no flammable stuff nearby and no chance of animals knocking it over), this will provide a tiny about of warmth and enough air flow to prevent frost forming. Kind of like the oil burners or giant fans you see in vineyards in areas where frost is prevalent.

Sweet, thanks FJ. I think I'll stick w/ the shade cloth method. I can see disaster with the fire method (2 dogs, a cat, and enough wildlife to keep it interesting).

Low voltage power supply and some heater cable?
An old xmas lights transformer is outdoor safe.

Checked my Cluster and noticed about 6 shoots coming out of the ground :rolleyes:

another option is to use a glass bottle, filled with a kero/diesel mix with a wick set up and light it like a candle before you go to bed (make sure no flammable stuff nearby and no chance of animals knocking it over), this will provide a tiny about of warmth and enough air flow to prevent frost forming. Kind of like the oil burners or giant fans you see in vineyards in areas where frost is prevalent.

:lol: im sorry - but that must be one of the funniest things ive read regarding looking after your hops :lol: They're a bloody weed! Why dont you get nanna to knit a little blanket and pillow for it too :lol: ..... Just stick a pile of leaves or straw over them, they'll be fine and stop worrying.
Cheers
Steve

Yup, personally I don't care too much about mine at all, if the frost gets them, they bud up again fine and take off when the weather warms properly anyway.

exactly....ive just got images of all the half pissed homebrewers toddling out to their gardens just before bed in their jarmies and slippers with a little lantern to put next to their plants. If they can survive the -5 frosts in Canberra with a few leaves on top they'll be right in Melbourne.
Cheers
Steve

exactly....ive just got images of all the half pissed homebrewers toddling out to their gardens just before bed in their jarmies and slippers with a little lantern to put next to their plants.

Damn, that google street view is quick.... :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back