2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question, i sourced a 2 year old tettnanger off a fellow AHB, it had been trimed and dug up. It is in the first photo below, im wondering if i have to bury it a little further or is this about right?

The boston POR are doing well, supprise this is first attempt at growing hops. I have 3 other plants, some work men kicked one of my pots breaking the rizome so i just repotted it and ended up with 3 plants instead of one. further in the photo is a Hersbrucker that not doing the best yet. will re pot that this week.

04122008_001_.jpg

My tettnanger

04122008.jpg

Tettnanger off shoots

04122008_002_.jpg

Pride of ringwood that i was given by boston, thinking i will have to extend something more for them to climb

Fair call on the hair roots - just would hate to hear of them being rotten...

It would have to be a fair old sized trellis to attract lightning!

The hops seems to hold on mighty tight when crawling up whatever you have in place, my thoughts are they should be fine.

Maybe dig a reasonably drainage trench/hole nearby to lower the amount of water without touching the plant

Trellises are 4.6m high gal pipe with a 2.3m long T piece at the top - will post pics next time I visit them. Seeing as they are basically in a paddock, lightning is an actual concern... I think I'll keep a cutting of each variety in case.

Have to say that Victoria is certainly not the garden state at the moment judging by some of the posts and looking at my crop.

My hops are doing modestly well, but got riddled by holes after 3 hail showers a couple of weeks ago. Guess I shouldn't complain as they are all first plantings and are all still alive despite our weird weather down here.

- Columbus - 15 cm high - really nothing doing with this one - just sits there stalled but looks healthy.
- Goldings plant one - 21 cm high - real slow on any new growth
- Goldings plant two - 40 cm high - much better as it gets the most sun
- Hallertau - 70cm high - The only one to go nuts and has big fat leaves (pockmarked with more holes than a shooting gallery) This has a balance of part shade and full sun, so the mix must be right given the conditions. Mind you the rhizome was the biggest so reckon that has helped.
- Hersbrucker - 20 cm but looking very weak - got attacked by mites and have to spray it with some insect stuff regularly. Was looking like Daemon's but now has a couple of small shoots at the base since spraying whilst the other leaves still look pretty stuffed.

Some weather in Vic that doesn't go desert hot to mildly cold to stormy then arctic freezing would be nice. Would like to see them all pull through for another season unscathed.

Hopper.

Fair call on the hair roots - just would hate to hear of them being rotten...

It would have to be a fair old sized trellis to attract lightning!

The hops seems to hold on mighty tight when crawling up whatever you have in place, my thoughts are they should be fine.

Picture_026.jpg

This is my "fair old size trellis" - all steel, very productive, no lightning problems as yet. Can lean a ladder on the top to harvest flowers. The photo shows my tettnanger, chinook (both 5th year) and new goldings on left in new garden bed.

POR is on higher trellis behind me when I took the photo.

I've been away from the board for about 8 months and thought I'd see how people have been faring with their hops. I was concerned as mine went into flower well over a month ago and are showing great cones now. I thought they flowered much later.

So I gather all's well with them flowering now then?

View attachment 23033

This is my "fair old size trellis" - all steel, very productive, no lightning problems as yet. Can lean a ladder on the top to harvest flowers. The photo shows my tettnanger, chinook (both 5th year) and new goldings on left in new garden bed.

POR is on higher trellis behind me when I took the photo.

WOW

I've been away from the board for about 8 months and thought I'd see how people have been faring with their hops. I was concerned as mine went into flower well over a month ago and are showing great cones now. I thought they flowered much later.

So I gather all's well with them flowering now then?

Thats a great virtual girl you have running there!! Much like the real thing.

My hops in the past few years have flowered twice. The first ones that you get about now make your beer grassy and
are not that high in AAU - although thats from experience not scientific testing.

Although everyones plants appear to have "stalled" , the hop plants should get a good spurt on over Xmas and send out many more lateral shoots. These are the really productive buggers.

You will get early cones on the main bines but wait for the lateral shoots to cone up - around mid Feb where I live. These will give you heaps of flowers for your next season of brewing.

This is my Chinook harvest from last season. Had POR in similar quantities.

hops_2007.jpg

Thats a great virtual girl you have running there!! Much like the real thing.

My hops in the past few years have flowered twice. The first ones that you get about now make your beer grassy and
are not that high in AAU - although thats from experience not scientific testing.

Although everyones plants appear to have "stalled" , the hop plants should get a good spurt on over Xmas and send out many more lateral shoots. These are the really productive buggers.

You will get early cones on the main bines but wait for the lateral shoots to cone up - around mid Feb where I live. These will give you heaps of flowers for your next season of brewing.

This is my Chinook harvest from last season. Had POR in similar quantities.

View attachment 23052

That looks like a police evidence shot Gilbrew.

ed: What is the estimated street value?

True, and its good sh*t!

Only brother to the green stuff after all.

But seriously, have some patience, a very small bit of green thumb and you should enjoy your own home grown hops for years to come.

KHB: Love the setup there, especially the view!

gilbrew: That's a pretty decent crop, I'd be happy with 1/4 of that amount!

I'll take some photos for an update, but after a bit of rain and some extra soil conditioning the hops seem to be back on track. Closer inspection revealed I did have some spider mites, however I'm not convinced they were the main problem. There's a massive amount of new growth with probably about 10 lateral shoots extra now per plant. I've trimmed off most of the leaves that were 1/2 dead and already there are a number growing in their places too. No cones yet but I wasn't expecting anything in the first year. Will wait to see how they go in December!

KHB: Love the setup there, especially the view!

gilbrew: That's a pretty decent crop, I'd be happy with 1/4 of that amount!

I'll take some photos for an update, but after a bit of rain and some extra soil conditioning the hops seem to be back on track. Closer inspection revealed I did have some spider mites, however I'm not convinced they were the main problem. There's a massive amount of new growth with probably about 10 lateral shoots extra now per plant. I've trimmed off most of the leaves that were 1/2 dead and already there are a number growing in their places too. No cones yet but I wasn't expecting anything in the first year. Will wait to see how they go in December!

Not my set up just thought it was an impressive photo!! :icon_drool2:

My Cascade is doing OK. Grew to about 2 metres, then sideways to the fence, now have it on track back to the shed. Do they ever stop? Some laterals growing on the first two bines, what do you do with them? Do they want to wrap around something as well? I did pinch one bine off and it grew sideways and is going well also. This is a first year plant and I am already having nightmares about next year when hopefully I will be able to plant another couple of different rhizomes. Big job, planning the trellis I will need. Just as well I am retired!

Leave the laterals alone, they hang off the trelissed main bines quite happily. They produce the majority of flowers also.

When you are planning trellis - think big, think long term, think investment ie 100grams of pellets for $10-15 retail.

I harvested 4kg of dry flowers off 3 four year old plants last year so put your cash into a permanent trellis if you can.

Thought it was about time I posted these, all approx 2 months old

(L to R) Chinook, Hallertau, Cluster
100_5364.JPG

Laterals on the chinook
100_5366.JPG

Has anyone around Melbourne had their Tettnang still stall??? My goldings has gone crazy, my cascade is almost as bad, even my little cuttings are doing well, but my poor tett has grown to four feet and stopped!

I did notice that my watering system might be getting too much water to its roots, so I will remove one of the drippers tonight! But the goldings and cascade have just as much water!

Has anyone around Melbourne had their Tettnang still stall??? My goldings has gone crazy, my cascade is almost as bad, even my little cuttings are doing well, but my poor tett has grown to four feet and stopped!

I did notice that my watering system might be getting too much water to its roots, so I will remove one of the drippers tonight! But the goldings and cascade have just as much water!

yep my tettes still stalled and clustr as well. cascades the strongest by far.

Here a couple of shots of hop garden, they are going off, 6 inches of growth a day.
IMG_0025.JPG

chinook on the right, columbus on the left.

my top string is about 2.5 meters high, I have started winding them sideways along it, so I'm guessing the chinook is about
4 meters long. :D

IMG_0027.JPG
here are some of the laterals on the chinook

Not my set up just thought it was an impressive photo!! :icon_drool2:
Whoops, I was so mesmerised by the setup I couldn't even tell who posted it :p

Here's the latest pics of my hops, as you can see they're really recovering now. You can see the gaps where there were the leaves decaying that have either dropped off or I've removed. I haven't got the most ideal setup for them but it'll have to do for now. Maybe next year I'll get some better hight, probably as I get a few more varieties.

hops_latest_1.jpghops_latest_2.jpg

Also, what's the best way to make cuttings from hops? I'm keen to try and cultivate a few to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back