2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok here is my first harvest and there are still more left
IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

Noice!

Get em on a flyscreen to dry for a cuppla days (especially with Sydney apparently getting to 34 degrees tomorrow) and smack em into your next brew

already ahead o you on that one they are in my oust already. for those that dont know an oust is a hop dryer.

just an update on the progress of my cuttings
in my previous post [post="377084"]here[/post]
i had five cuttings 4 of just single leaves and one of two

View attachment 23310

as you can see the cutting with two has taken off but the ones with one leaf are still alive but nothing is happening
so if you are taking cuttings make sure there is a node for branches to grow out of.

cheers

matho

For those of you who have earwig problems like me....

I now have the little bastards under control but i have killed in excess of a 1000 in the last 4 weeks.

I have several rolls of newspaper that i wipe the bbq with.

Each day i unroll them into a bucket of hot water.

The numbers have been dropping over this time and i have noticed my vegie patch is now flourishing. they were eating everything, never seen an established capsicum plant stripped of its leaves overnight.

And now with all the rain i will have to be on the lookout for snails. I think they prefer the full carb goodness of carlton cold, at least thats what i bait them with! Even they turn their noses up at Birrell......

Gibbocore - your plants look very healthy, i would leave them be. My leaves have a lot more holes (caterpillar/mites/snails etc) but its still growing strong. I cant spray/bait as much as most as my vegie/hop garden is right next to a creek...

Hey excelllent work, looking for the alternative to the spray chemical on every thing!

I think the idea of the bbq cleaning paper / slater remover is a gem... :D :D

QldKev

Walked out side this morn to discover something had eaten the tips off two of my bines :angry:

Should i cut these off and train up new ones? they are about the hight of the fence, not the big ones thank god!

The hop growing guide i have says you should only have four bines per plant is there a reason for this? or is it a conveniance thing for commercial growers?

IMG_1693.JPG

Noone seemed to have an answer about the 4 bines per plant so i have left all of mine to grow (apart from a few i took as cuttings).

qldkev - it has worked a treat, the earwig population is greatly reduced so my lettuce and other leafy plants have taken off.

Sprayed my hops last night with another organic mix. A good handful of pyrethrum flowers, a few smashed cloves of garlic and some dried chillies boiled for 5 mins with a good slug of vegie oil and then left to cool. Topped uo to 1L in the spray pack with several pumps of hand soap and then sprayed all over the leaves and growing tips.

Will decimate a spider mite colony and any other pests stupid enough to call my hop plants home.

Just make sure you spray this concoction late in the evening as it is fairly indiscriminate - bees are killed by pyrethrum.

Hey hops growers.
My Cascade bine is now larger than I had hoped for.
One shoot is over 2m tall, 2 others are chest height, and two more are about 30cm and searching for some trellace. All this in Brisbane as well :D

I however have no cones as yet :huh: Is this normal?
It is this plants first season from a small rhizome and I have read that this year is more about root growth than anything. But with such leafy growth I am getting a little dissapointed that none of the plants energy is going into producing the good stuff :p

Am I just being impatient? Are the flowers only produced at the end of summer?

Cheers for any advice. This question may be answered somewhere in this thread already but it has become huge since I last looked and it would take me all bloody day the read all replies.

Will post a photo of this glorious plant when I can :lol:

I accidently knocked my Mount hood bine and took the front part of the runner off, where the leaves start up its around 3mtr long now . Have i just stopped this runner from growing further??

Cheers KHB

Hey hops growers.
One shoot is over 2m tall, 2 others are chest height, and two more are about 30cm and searching for some trellace. All this in Brisbane as well :D

It is this plants first season from a small rhizome and I have read that this year is more about root growth than anything. But with such leafy growth I am getting a little dissapointed that none of the plants energy is going into producing the good stuff :p

Cheers for any advice. This question may be answered somewhere in this thread already but it has become huge since I last looked and it would take me all bloody day the read all replies.

Yep, too impatient. Have you not grown veg or flowers before?
All things will happen in the fullness of time.
I'm just grateful that my (and your) plants are still growing vegetatively. This means that you'll have more sites for flowers/cones to grow from as the plants increase in size. If they flowered now, you'd have a much smaller yield.
My Chinooks have been growing about 6 inches a day and are looking much happier, even without consistent watering.

I accidently knocked my Mount hood bine and took the front part of the runner off, where the leaves start up its around 3mtr long now . Have i just stopped this runner from growing further??

Cheers KHB
If the growing tip is missing, you will no longer have growth from that point. However the laterals are likely to grow out of the leaf nodes (the pints where leave grow from the main stem). I have not read any literature recommending the pruning of hops to encourage laterals to grow. Maybe that's just a traditional hop growing thing. Please advise if the laterals do take up the challenge.

Les

Yep, too impatient. Have you not grown veg or flowers before?
All things will happen in the fullness of time.
I'm just grateful that my (and your) plants are still growing vegetatively. This means that you'll have more sites for flowers/cones to grow from as the plants increase in size. If they flowered now, you'd have a much smaller yield.
My Chinooks have been growing about 6 inches a day and are looking much happier, even without consistent watering.

If the growing tip is missing, you will no longer have growth from that point. However the laterals are likely to grow out of the leaf nodes (the pints where leave grow from the main stem). I have not read any literature recommending the pruning of hops to encourage laterals to grow. Maybe that's just a traditional hop growing thing. Please advise if the laterals do take up the challenge.

Les

Bummer thought that would be the case. How do people train the laterals as this is my 1st year with hops

Cant remember if I have mentioned this before but I have gotten my earwig problem under control. I have put out marg/ice cream, anything containers with some beer in them and fat from the barby floating on top. The buggers cant resist it and drown in the thousands.
My beans, potatoes, passionfruit vine etc are all now powering ahead and not being slaughtered by the wigs.

Noone seemed to have an answer about the 4 bines per plant so i have left all of mine to grow (apart from a few i took as cuttings).

DrSmurto,

From what I've read, the only reason for reducing the number of bines is for manageability and this (like other brewing practices) has come from commercial practises. In a home garden, it's easy enough to manage the 1 or 2 plants we have and if you were to chap back bines all you're doing is reducing your harvest.

Andrew

Cheers for the advice Lez.
Have been impressed by the growth so far and how well it has tolerated the Brisbane weather and relatively low sunlight hours in its position compared to open areas in Vic.
I will keep up the monthly fertiliser and whack on some new trellace for the extra bines.
Good luck to other growers. I reckon there will be several more plants going in next year. :D

Im letting mine go wild I fgure the plant knows what its doing.

At the moment there about 7-8 meters high and still going strong :lol:

Will have to wit to see what the harvest is like, if I can get them down?

I have a 6.5m step ladder so im still good for a little while might have to make some stilts :wacko:

My POR's progress, about 1.5m high.

Waiting for some warmer weather to really kick them off.

DSCN3087.JPG

Hey hops growers.

I'm in Bris also. My Cascade was slow to take off but had 2 bines over three metres when I left home ten days ago. Will be home tomorrow and have my fingers crossed. Have had the kids next door watering for me, had quite a few laterals before I left. Photo to follow.

I thought my Chinook had had it . It put up some shoots and was growing well then just stopped and has been like this for weeks. A couple of days ago I noticed a new shoot that is probably 4 times thicker than the original ones and it has taken off. Wahooo
With warmer weather in the next week I am expecting some good things :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back