2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 'ship load' of Chinook on the vines at the moment [photo when I get time], BUT the big shock was the the EKG I thought died a couple of years ago has come back big time :huh: the only problem is it wants to climb all over the Chinook, no matter what I do it's heading that way along the fence
[and it's a long way]. tough ******* like the Chinook.

Edit: The usual 4 pot typo.

As for harvesting Bines...dont go up on ladders.. Timmmbbbeer....drop them at the base of the stalk them pick them at your leisure...just my 2c worth.

As for harvesting Bines...dont go up on ladders.. Timmmbbbeer....drop them at the base of the stalk them pick them at your leisure...just my 2c worth.
valid point but how does it help if theyre on a trellis ?

i just lower the top wire and pick at my height.

DrSmurto,

From what I've read, the only reason for reducing the number of bines is for manageability and this (like other brewing practices) has come from commercial practises. In a home garden, it's easy enough to manage the 1 or 2 plants we have and if you were to chap back bines all you're doing is reducing your harvest.

Andrew

Cheers for that altho i have 7 plants, not 1 or 2 :p

I have pruned a few of the extra bines to grow them up for swaps.

And my cluster is still frozen in time. It beat every other plant to ~1m tall and has stayed that way now for more than 2 months. I assume all the action is now taking place underground so am widening my search for new bines up to 3 m away!

My baby cascade has got going now, 2 nice solid looking bines working their way to the fence.

Still getting lots of leaf damage, something is eating them almost completely. Cant see any caterpillars, i do notice the odd harlequin bug. Spotted a tiny spider shimmying its way down a web - opaque colour? Doesn't seem to be holding teh plants back tho as my chinook now has 100s of cones forming.

If you cut and drop your bines to harvest the cones, you have to be carefull not to get them in the dirt. Lay down platic etc
The other problem is that not all the cones rippen at the same time so hand picking on a ladder allows me to pick them when they rippen.
Just dont have any beers befor climbing the ladder :rolleyes:

Hops are growing well now and I've got at least 30 cones forming! They're appearing everywhere on the bines, a few of them have started to form proper cones now.

hops1.jpg
hops2.jpg

Goldings getting out of hand.
Went away for a week and came back to this tangled mess

hops_011.jpg

hops_013.jpg

hops_014.jpg

I thought these things were supposed to be fast growers ... come on little fella, you can do it.
POR.jpg

Is would be interested in some cuttings, so far only have POR tettnanger and hersbrucker. Would love some pearle and goldings if any one has some cuttings in adelaide.

thanks.

Is would be interested in some cuttings, so far only have POR tettnanger and hersbrucker. Would love some pearle and goldings if any one has some cuttings in adelaide.

thanks.

Just taken some cuttings today, won't be ready till next year and would still be fairly small then. My these buggers are easy to take cuttings from.

100_3145.JPG
L to R: Hersbruker, Perle, Tettnanger, Cascade, Goldings

After this success I plan to do many more. Stay tuned.

Can I suggest to start your own cuttings going of what you have, then come 'SA case swap' time or a similar event next year I dare say we shall all be trading various hop plants!

2c.

Just taken some cuttings today, won't be ready till next year and would still be fairly small then. My these buggers are easy to take cuttings from.

View attachment 23533
L to R: Hersbruker, Perle, Tettnanger, Cascade, Goldings

After this success I plan to do many more. Stay tuned.

success? youve only just cut them better make sure they actually grow first b4 you claim victory ...

success? youve only just cut them better make sure they actually grow first b4 you claim victory ...

Granted,,,,

I've taken some under the same conditions a few times this season and have had great success, just use some medium density wood rooting compound and keep moist. These are pics are from todays cuttings, bar the hursbruker they are from the lower side arms, more hardy stock than previous leaf cuttings.

from my cuttings that i took over a month ago the single leaf cutting are not looking very happy their leaf's are slowly going brown but ill wait and see
the cutting that had two leaf's, a part of the main vine and nodes (the little lump's that are at the junction of where the leaf stalk meets the vine) has take off and is about 1m tall.
have you had the same thing happen with your previous cuttings smashin?

cheer's matho

from my cuttings that i took over a month ago the single leaf cutting are not looking very happy their leaf's are slowly going brown but ill wait and see
the cutting that had two leaf's, a part of the main vine and nodes (the little lump's that are at the junction of where the leaf stalk meets the vine) has take off and is about 1m tall.
have you had the same thing happen with your previous cuttings smashin?

cheer's matho

1m ye haaaw, well done. The Hursbruker was too small to butcher any side arms from hence the attampt at the leaves so will have to wait and see., from my limited time spent propagating native trees, having a leaf meeting the stem is the usual place to see growth. My goldings cutting taken ~3week ago is in fine shape, the cascade should live (that much i can say). Similarly i use a cutting with two leaves plus the growing tip, the tip has grown ~20cm and the new runners where the leaves meet the stem are just starting to grow (happy given the abuse they have been through. given that on both occasions i left them in the sun unwatered for a few days and they totally wilted (not suprising) and then came back when watered and brough out of direct sun light, goes to show how hardy these things are. Before i used just course sand, this time i'm using seed raising mix and a grow chamber in a bright area and out of direct sun light.

At any rate this makes good use of the lower side arms that i prune off anyway, rather than just throw away.

Matho, did you use any rooting/striking hormones with yours?

Edit:
The other trick when just using a single leaf is to put a light cut in the side of the steam just below the leaf, this scare heals and can become a nucleation site. I'll give three of the leaves a nick and see if it make any difference.

So far have got 3 goood growing cuttings of por out of the six that i planted. Hersbrucker i mananged 4 so far with one looking dodgy. only one on my Tettnanger so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back