2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i was going to put a ring of salt around the base of the plant but i'd have to do it after i watered it and would end up a pain. Might go hunting at bunnings, i need some new fertalizer anyways.

Cheers mate.

anyone know how to rid my plant of slugs without using poison? I don't want to hurt the dog.

You should have plenty of slug/snail bate on hand. They love beer so a marg tub or other container with some beer in will attract and drown them big time.
You might have a very happy dog tho

really???

i just found a use for a bottle of pure blonde thats been in my fridge for 3 months.

Sinking the jar below ground level helps get them in there.

I must be the only guy in Oz with a failed attempt to grow hops this year!! :angry:

My POR never broke the surface and my Columbus had bugs (slaters I think) eating it down and when I did get rid of them I only had 3 small leaves form. When I thought it was about to take off it seems to have shrivelled in the heat last week. Now it just looks like a small bunch of tea leaves

Considering the plants had great north facing sunlight spots, a raised bed of premium pot mix, a couple of seasol applications and the region has a history of commercial goldings being grown (well in near by Birregurra) I'll just assume that some have a withered brown thumb

Incidently the missus vege patch which only gets a half days sun and a third of the attention I gave my hops are going nuts. And they got the dodgey spot in the yard :blink:

Anywho they apparently aren't "fool proof" to grow.

Anyone else bold enough to fess up to a failed hop growing project?

if your POR never came up i'd say the rhizome was dead before you planted it. I had a colombus that never came up last year - no ones fault maybe carked it in transport.

As for your colombus sounds like it needs a good watering. it will come back i dare say. maybe make a cage or net for it to keep bugs away/off.

Do you only need really small cuttings like that? I have a new plant which sprouted up next to my big one, but its going to overtake it by the looks of it, I was thinking of digging it out and replanting in some more soil?

i don't know the main bine broke of so i just gave it a go ill see what happen's

cheer's matho

My Goldings finally shot a shoot after many months... So for anyone waiting patiently, keep the faith.

my cluster rhizome failed to show signs of live. i killed it somehow. :(

I'll quote myself - given you have reasonable conditions, remain hopeful and don't dig - I had really given up all hope on mine.

So for anyone waiting patiently, keep the faith.

sorry couldnt help myself, had to brag
19112008014-1.jpg

no where near you!!!!
^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

My chinook started really slow, but it's grown 13 inches on the main vine in the last two days and there's been sweet fa sun around :blink: It's overtaken my Hallertau now

not if you know whats good for you mate just kidding its a long drive and they arent ready yet still green. hopefully ill get one off the hallertau this year.

i not thinking ill get any flowers from mine this year especially with the crazy weather down here , plants are having intermittent spurts of growth , noticed a new sprout on the perle today which has been dormant for a month or so now

btw that one you wanted identifed does it have a 3 point or 5 point leaf

if your POR never came up i'd say the rhizome was dead before you planted it. I had a colombus that never came up last year - no ones fault maybe carked it in transport.

As for your colombus sounds like it needs a good watering. it will come back i dare say. maybe make a cage or net for it to keep bugs away/off.
I hesitate to mention this...the rhizome may not come back if it rotted due to overwatering. It's a possibility. How is the drainage on the soil? well-drained or gluggy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back