2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bugger the hops your veggie garden is to die for Fraser_John!

well my first year cascade rhizome has gone complety nuts and has overtaken the second year tett and cluster. i swear this thing is growing 10cm's+ everyday, only has to vines(bines?) growing but jeez its going nicely, cannot wait to put these in the ground next year.

bugger the hops your veggie garden is to die for Fraser_John!
:icon_offtopic:

LOL yeah its worth it, we just bottled enough beetroot to last us till this time next year, have just finished our last bottle of green beans and finished our last bottle of sweet corn a month or so ago. We still have bread & butter pickles, pickled shallots and garlic dills in the cupboard. Water is going to be the problem this year, our 75,000 litres of tank water are only about 2/3 full :(

:icon_offtopic:

LOL yeah its worth it, we just bottled enough beetroot to last us till this time next year, have just finished our last bottle of green beans and finished our last bottle of sweet corn a month or so ago. We still have bread & butter pickles, pickled shallots and garlic dills in the cupboard. Water is going to be the problem this year, our 75,000 litres of tank water are only about 2/3 full :(

sounds like a good spot for a mid year swap venue ......lol

Earlier in this thread a few people mentioned a recommended potting mix.

Anyone care to offer recommendations?

Sam

I've just ordered a cubic metre of Organic "supersoil" to be delivered tomorrow. That should more than fill the 2 - 120cm square by 20 cm deep treated pine sleeper raised garden beds for my 2 Chinook rhizomes. I calculated the volume of the 2 square beds at about 280 litres each. It looks like I'll have leftovers for the vege patch.

The hops will be trained to grow up twine attached to a nearby power pole. Perhaps this is the advantage to living in the bush?
Height? The sky's (almost) the limit. How tall is the power pole? Big enough I think.

Les the Chinook grower :rolleyes:

Here are pictures of my POR and Newcastle Goldings B)
They are in ~40cm pots at the moment, but maybe I should get a bigger pine square as well... Where did you get it from or DIY?

As you can see there is a nearly perfect climbing wall already there for them.

If I would own the place I would just get rid of the plaster and put them in the ground.

CIMG0049.JPG

CIMG0050.JPG

CIMG0051.JPG

Sam

rupert from hopswest recommends the dynamic lifter potting mix

Sam

I use Searls (from Bunnings) Hops seem to love it.

QldKev

Awesome, while going out to check on the pool after a week away, I looked down and saw a hop shoot starting up. I thought I dug it up and gave it away.
Dunno what it is though, either columbus or chinook.
My Columbus at my inlaws place haven't done much at all. The longest one is 3 inches long.

My hops have stalled.
I've given them plenty of food and they have had enough water.

Anyone else in Sydney having similar issues ?
Is it just the screwed up weather patterns ?

Doc

Hops_2008_011.jpg

Hops_2008_014.jpg

my hal is doing the same. the other two are fine though

mine have had a similar growth stunt here in melbourne , we had a few warm weeks now its chilled off a bit ..

dang mine still have some growing todo, both the chinook are at 6 ft with my cluster only 1M~ :(

think they will grow out by the end of season? 1st year hops.

My hops have stalled.
I've given them plenty of food and they have had enough water.

Anyone else in Sydney having similar issues ?
Is it just the screwed up weather patterns ?

Doc

Yeah mine stalled about two or three weeks ago, made it out to about 8 or 9 inches high and just stopped dead in it's tracks.
There was another two smaller shoots which have since died off so I'm not sure whats the go...

My chinook has slowed right down and is being eaten by something. Columbus is still two little shoots and hasnt done a thing. Hoping some good rain tommorow will spark them on.
Well, just hoping for some good rain full stop

Have read that hops can get a real burst of growth in the hottest months (like Jan/Feb), if they've stalled (which strangely enough mine have too!) don't despair, the hot weather will let them play catch up in around a month and a bit I reckon.

For those of you following my comments earlier on this thread about possum proofing my hops and keeping them away, I've had an interesting development - 5 Owls have moved into the backyard and seem to have munched them up! I kid you not! I now have no more possum problems. Anyone with possum issues I recommend you get an owl! :lol: Not sure where you'd get one though!

Hopper.

here is my cluster the main bine got broken during tranplanting but there is a heck of alot of growth happening now
View attachment 22481View attachment 22484

instead of just letting the broken bine die i cut it up into pieces and used rooting hormone and now after two week's there are roots coming out of the bottom of the punnet.

View attachment 22483

i will be transplating them very soon in the hope of growing them up to swap. it was very easy so if you want to just try it

cheer's
matho

ok here is mine smallest to monster.
hallertau
12112008013-1.jpg

wurtenburger
12112008011-1.jpg

and the franken mt hood
12112008012-1.jpg

ok here is mine smallest to monster.

Righto barls, rub it in! Not only do I have to read your hop plant posts at work now here too! ;) :D
I actually checked mine again this arvo and with the heat a couple of new leaves have decided to open, still not taller though but hopefully now with our weather warming up abit - if it keeps it up they may start growing again...

did i mention i also have cones about the size of a 10 cent piece on the wurtenburger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back