2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im sorry mate but ill let you in on a little secret that i used last year, powerfeed much better than seasol and the such. this got me a kg dry off both my end plants

im sorry mate but ill let you in on a little secret that i used last year, powerfeed much better than seasol and the such. this got me a kg dry off both my end plants

Cool, off tomorrow to get some supplies to hopefully help it out.
Hopefully if this weather decides to stay one temp for more than a few days it should help too.

Cool, off tomorrow to get some supplies to hopefully help it out.
Hopefully if this weather decides to stay one temp for more than a few days it should help too.

Get both Seasol and Powerfeed as they are meant to be used in tandem. Seasol is not a complete plant fertiliser, more of a plant tonic/soil conditioner. Powerfeed is a complete plant food containing a NPK component neccesary for plant growth/maintenance.

Another great organic fertiliser is:

Now my favourite - blood and blooming bone and it's a fantastic fertiliser. Do you know why it's so good? Because the blood meal contains slow release nitrogen, and the bone meal is full of calcium and phosphorus. But this stuff lacks potash. That means adding sulphate of potash. About two cups for a bucketful. Its easy to mix and I'm not afraid to handle it. Add a good fistful, or a bit more, for every square metre.

Peter Cundall, 12/11/2005

blood and blooming bone
Dead easy! I can hear his voice when I read that.

Good work Barls! I think I have hop envy.

I was planning on using a fine tuned "bloom" fertiliser (with all of the trace elements etc) before cone production comes on... has anyone used these?

ted the tett and col cluster have both stalled. cassy cascade is still going nuts - 10cm+ everyday.

Now my favourite - blood and blooming bone and it's a fantastic fertiliser. Do you know why it's so good? Because the blood meal contains slow release nitrogen, and the bone meal is full of calcium and phosphorus. But this stuff lacks potash. That means adding sulphate of potash. About two cups for a bucketful. Its easy to mix and I'm not afraid to handle it. Add a good fistful, or a bit more, for every square metre.

Peter Cundall, 12/11/2005

I chew through two 25kg bags of this stuff a year in my veggie/hop gardens, its great stuff. Those growing capsicums and peppers should use a boat load of it as they love calcium! I add it around the roots of mine every month. Just a handfull each.

However, i did not know it lakcs potash, so now I have another thing to buy!

Can hops be grown sideways? I have two balconies that look like this:
104468427bl1217477904.jpg

See the horizontal balcony bars? They're made out of aluminium and I was thinking about stringing vines along it already, but if they could be hops and have a dual purpose that would be awesome!

I'm guessing you could have a pot in one corner and then weave hop vines horizontally along?

im trying to grow mine sideways along fence trellis and its hard you have to keep manaully adjusting where the shoots are going. everytime i move them the next day they stay put but have grown an extra 10cm...upwards!

My hops have stalled.
I've given them plenty of food and they have had enough water.

Anyone else in Sydney having similar issues ?
Is it just the screwed up weather patterns ?

Doc

My Tettnanger has also stalled

1 shoot is about 1.5 m and seems to have stopped
another is about 20cm

Must be the weather

Cheers

talk about hop-envy!!!

i'm looking forward to getting my chinook rhizome.

that's right - five k&k brews into my HB career and i'm already getting into the home-grown. hops.

mfdu.

Got myself some Seasol and Powerfeed today and a better quality potting mix, just finished transplanting it and hopefully now that should help it along abit.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Both of my plants have stalled too. I think it was the cold spell we had a couple of weeks back. :(

just an update on the cuttings i took 2weeks and 5 days ago.
i have just transplanted them into pots. here's a picture that shows the root development not bad for almost 3 weeks
View attachment 22600

cheer's

matho

My Cascade seemed to take an age to start growing, but has been steadily accelerating ever since. The lead bine grew 10cm overnight. I don't want them to go over 2m tall, and will send them off horizontally after that. How do you stop these buggers? Once they have gone as long as you want them to, do you just prune the ends? Help!
Bob

Pinch out the tip of the vine and it should grow sideways.

My chinook has grown 2m vertically and is now winding its way across the chook yard horizontally. Does mean i have to manually wind them along the string myself but it means the plant is at a good picking height.

Chooks arent an issue anymore after a fox took them all Friday night :(

Finally found an earwig trap that works. Dont think they are eating my hops but they are raping everything else in the vegie patch.

take a whole newspaper, spilt into 2 to 3 lots and wipe the bbq with them. Roll them up, tie them and chuck em in the garden. Come back the next garden and unroll it over a bucket of hot water.

Stopped counting after 50 yesterday.

I've been having a go with a cutting from my tettnang which is sprouting OK on the kitchen window ledge.

hop_shoot.jpg

hop_shoot1.jpg

just an update on the cuttings i took 2weeks and 5 days ago.
i have just transplanted them into pots. here's a picture that shows the root development not bad for almost 3 weeks
View attachment 22600

cheer's

matho

Do you only need really small cuttings like that? I have a new plant which sprouted up next to my big one, but its going to overtake it by the looks of it, I was thinking of digging it out and replanting in some more soil?

Pinch out the tip of the vine and it should grow sideways.

My chinook has grown 2m vertically and is now winding its way across the chook yard horizontally. Does mean i have to manually wind them along the string myself but it means the plant is at a good picking height.

Chooks arent an issue anymore after a fox took them all Friday night :(

Finally found an earwig trap that works. Dont think they are eating my hops but they are raping everything else in the vegie patch.

take a whole newspaper, spilt into 2 to 3 lots and wipe the bbq with them. Roll them up, tie them and chuck em in the garden. Come back the next garden and unroll it over a bucket of hot water.

Stopped counting after 50 yesterday.

Another trap that works is : using the same old fat/grease from the barby, put it in a marg container and cut a small slit near the top. Bury it in the garden with the lid on and the slit just above ground level. The love the barby grease
Will try the newspaper thing too thanks

anyone know how to rid my plant of slugs without using poison? I don't want to hurt the dog.

You can buy pet friendly snail bait these days. I use it and i have cats.

Other trick is beer traps. Or lots of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back