12 Hour Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade

Awaiting Exile
Reaction score
BIAB QUESTION:

Are there any deleterious effects if one is to leave their mash overnight, letting it cool down and boil the next day? I always get distracted during brew day and this time I plan to crack the grain, mash & get the hops measureed out tonight (its another 7-hop blend), so I can wake up tomorrow and get straight into the boil.

Suspect I may need to bring the heat back up to 'mash-out' temp before removing the bag. Can do this in the oven, so the heat is applied evenly, and the bag doesn't melt. Or can I simply treat it as a typical BIAB and just drain the bag the next morning, take it out and start the boil?

Won't hurt a bit Renegade... Best idea would be to just drain some of the liquid (a liquid decoction if you will). Boil the liquid and add it back to the mash to bring everything back up to mashout temps or thereabouts.

Warren -

Won't hurt a bit Renegade... Best idea would be to just drain some of the liquid (a liquid decoction if you will). Boil the liquid and add it back to the mash to bring everything back up to mashout temps or thereabouts.

Warren -
Serious? would that almost constitute a sour mash, just thinking out loud, but I don't think I'd be game - unless purposly trying to get lacto...or maybe I'm way off base...

Serious? would that almost constitute a sour mash, just thinking out loud, but I don't think I'd be game - unless purposly trying to get lacto...or maybe I'm way off base...

Nah it's OK Maple I let a couple go overnight when my daughter was young and brewing time was at a premium. Sour mashes need around 3-4 days, lower temps (around 50 degrees from memory) and some crushed pale malt on the top from memory.

12 hours or so shouldn't constitute a problem.

Warren -

Got it. Just seemed to stike a memory, but gets a bit fuzzy sometimes. Thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks for the responses.

Maple, in the old thread Jim linked to, mention is made of wheat grain becoming sour after an overnight bath. Worth a mention for anyone considering a two-stage mash.

In Dave Line's old classic "The Big Book of Brewing" a lot of his recipes specify "mash for 90 minutes, or overnight".

Latest posts

Back