You've got to be pretty dumb to do this, right?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livewiremjk

Reaction score
[SIZE=16pt]Bribie Island police swoop on illegal distilleries at two separate caravan sites[/SIZE]

Emma Williams, Caboolture Shire Herald

CARAVAN sites allegedly being used to make and sell alcohol illegally, have been shut down by Queensland Police.
Senior Sergeant David Crawford-Raby said in October officers from Bribie Island Police were assisted by investigators from the Australian Taxation Office in executing search warrants at two sites in a Caravan Park at Bongaree, in connection with offences of producing distilled liquor and selling liquor without a permit.
Sen-Sgt Crawford-Raby said officers seized equipment and alcohol relating to the distillery of spirits and a quantity of cash was also seized.
He said all matters are currently under investigation by the ATO.
The distillery and sale of liquor, and the possession of distillery equipment, are offences under the Distillation Act and the Excise Act.
There are also offences for selling liquor without an appropriate licence under the Liquor Act 1992.
Sen-Sgt Crawford-Raby said there was potential for this type of liquor to cause death or serious injury through the incorrect production.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/moreton/bribie-island-police-swoop-on-illegal-distilleries-at-two-separate-caravan-sites/news-story/2dae7b55210f294146c3f19bd197dae8

Wait a minute, is the possession of distillery equipment an offence? What if I want to distill eucalyptus oil ?

I thought that was fine,

,Obviously we all know distilling to produce liqour is not allowed, but possessing equipment?
I can make vodka using my computer cpu as a heat source, so are computers distillery equipment?

I'm seeing a very slippery slide

The distilling equipment is good. Just don't bloody sell you home brew!

I think the reporter got a bit excited. There is no law against owning the equipment, you can read it yourself on the ATO website.
The main reason isn't that you might poison someone, it's because you need to be registered to pay your bribe... I mean tax..

stills are allowed to 5l capacity
once you hit 5l capacity you must have a license etc regardless of what you are using it for.

they have been very busy using those 2 small stills

turbo yeast ahoy.......... :blink:

Bribie Island, huh?

Time to answer for your crimes Bribie G.

boddingtons best said:
Wait a minute, is the possession of distillery equipment an offence? What if I want to distill eucalyptus oil ?

I thought that was fine,

,Obviously we all know distilling to produce liqour is not allowed, but possessing equipment?
I can make vodka using my computer cpu as a heat source, so are computers distillery equipment?

I'm seeing a very slippery slide
The dumb bit is selling it.

Radshoes said:
stills are allowed to 5l capacity
once you hit 5l capacity you must have a license etc regardless of what you are using it for.
You can't produce alcohol at all without being licenced, paying taxes/tariffs etc
You can only have a 5L boiler for making essential oils and perfume

72857496.jpg

manticle said:
The dumb bit is selling it.
The dumb bit is getting caught. The dumbest bit would be consuming it all yourself. Of course, that might explain why you're distilling hooch in a Bribie Island caravan park.

mtb said:
Bribie Island, huh?

Time to answer for your crimes Bribie G.
He dodged a bullet!
He got out just in time but left the workers to face the music.
Shame Bribie, shame.

Some old grey nomad is tell tale. ;)

Black Devil Dog said:
I'm impressed that there is actually someone in Caboolture who doesn't think breaking the law is ok.
If It's any consolation, I'm a real estate agent too.

I think the guy might be smarter than we all think - the Big House will be the pinnacle of luxury compared to the Bongaree Caravan Park...

:icon_offtopic: This reminds me of the thread 'all grain to serve mates' and a comment saying they wanted a recipe for when relatives were down from the sunshine coast. The pictures that followed had me crying hahaha.

Latest posts

Back