Homebrew In India

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetsamHsam

Reaction score
Link

THE death toll from a case of mass poisoning involving home-brewed alcohol in the western Indian state of Gujarat has risen to 43, a report said Thursday.

The number of dead rose from 25 yesterday.

The Press Trust of India quoted police Director General S.S. Khandwawala as saying another 29 were seriously ill in hospital after consuming the contaminated liquor at a party on Sunday.

Mr Khandwawala said two police officers in the state's largest city of Ahmedabad had been suspended and transferred for failing to crack down on illegal distilleries.

Police were searching for a man suspected to have provided the toxic alcohol and were also questioning more than 100 bootleggers in the city.

The state's home minister announced an inquiry into the easy availability of bootleg liquor in the region.

Selling and consuming alcohol is a criminal offence in Gujarat, India's only dry state and the birthplace of Mahatma Gandhi, but deaths from cheap alcohol are frequent throughout the country, especially among the poor.

But no doubt some f...wit sensationalist journo will some how relate it back to what we do, i stopped using bleach and aftershave in my brews weeks ago :ph34r:

from todays episode of Iron Brewer.

Todays mystery ingredient is brakefluid :rolleyes: .

I read a related article on this that said the guy who had made it and 2 of this family, drank some to prove it was all good after unhappy purchasers complained about the quality. DOA apparently.

Sounds like they already have.

In Soviet Russia vodka hammers you!

Just had some time in India. Tried ten different beers and only one of them was as bad as VB. Make some really nice whisky as well

Went to an Indian restaurant a couple of weeks ago and tried a Kingfisher to see what the fuss was all about. Drank three at six bucks fifty a bottle, Bloody lovely lovely lager. Shame on you Fosters. I wonder if they have hopyards in India? You'd imagine that there would be areas in the far North that would have the climate.

Edit: Paid more for the beer than the Biryani, how I suffer for my art :rolleyes:

Link

THE death toll from a case of mass poisoning involving home-brewed alcohol in the western Indian state of Gujarat has risen to 43, a report said Thursday.

The number of dead rose from 25 yesterday.

The Press Trust of India quoted police Director General S.S. Khandwawala as saying another 29 were seriously ill in hospital after consuming the contaminated liquor at a party on Sunday.

Mr Khandwawala said two police officers in the state's largest city of Ahmedabad had been suspended and transferred for failing to crack down on illegal distilleries.

Police were searching for a man suspected to have provided the toxic alcohol and were also questioning more than 100 bootleggers in the city.

The state's home minister announced an inquiry into the easy availability of bootleg liquor in the region.

Selling and consuming alcohol is a criminal offence in Gujarat, India's only dry state and the birthplace of Mahatma Gandhi, but deaths from cheap alcohol are frequent throughout the country, especially among the poor.

It was most definitely a spirit, NOT beer (..bootleg liquor in the region.) look up the definition of liquor. this stuff happens all the time in third world countries anyway, it's nothing new. if you go to bali lookout for a drink called arak, its killed a few people because in poor countries people are uneducated and dont give a f*k and like to add things like methanol to boost the abv, unfortunately methanol causes shallow respiration, cyanosis, tachypnea, coma, seizures, electrolyte disturbances, and various hemodynamic changes including profound hypotension and cardiac arrest. There may be mild to profound loss of memory, confusion, and agitation, which may progress to stupor and coma as the severity of the acidosis increases and In severe cases, death is possible. Surviving patients can be left with permanent blindness or with other neurological deficits (and the impulse to hassle strangers for cigarettes & spare change)(Jacobsen 1997). the concentration of methanol using conventional beer homebrewing tech's is a few parts per million, nothing to worry about.

Just the Kava in the pacific islands is bad enough, mind you it did nothing to me except make my tongue numb and a severe case of the squirts the next day.... i spent the whole next day with clenched cheeks on a bus tour hoping anything that slipped through was just methane!

Between reading the title and actually reading the thread, all I could picture was an emaciated cow pissing on a flat rock.

Back