Yet Another Beer Article In The Age

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Great Northern Brewing Co will be a new Queensland-focused beer operation within Foster's that will probably introduce lager into the Queensland regular or full-strength beer segment.

WTF are they talking about? Their regular and full strength beer range are already lagers. Just goes to show that whenever there is a story in the media that touches on something you know fairly intimately, they INVARIABLY get it wrong. Speaks volumes for the rest of the stories.

Get ready for the next Big One.
The burgeoning Town of CLUNES, one and a half hours North of Melbourne, has much more than a plethora of Books to offer (for the un-initiated Clunes is Victoris's own Book Town - John Brumby said that!).
The local winery has just released its inaugural beer.
Its called "BLACK RABBIT" the rest of the pretenders will now start to fade away . . . . .
PENDRAGON | Melbourne - October 20, 2010, 2:38PM

so they have ripped off white rabbit brewery?

The burgeoning Town of CLUNES, one and a half hours North of Melbourne, has much more than a plethora of Books to offer (for the un-initiated Clunes is Victoris's own Book Town - John Brumby said that!).
Its called "BLACK RABBIT" the rest of the pretenders will now start to fade away . . . . .

But...but... John Brumby said it was Victoris's (sic) own Book! Town!... so it must be right.

The Great Northern Brewing Co will be a new Queensland-focused beer operation within Foster's that will probably introduce lager into the Queensland regular or full-strength beer segment.

WTF are they talking about? Their regular and full strength beer range are already lagers. Just goes to show that whenever there is a story in the media that touches on something you know fairly intimately, they INVARIABLY get it wrong. Speaks volumes for the rest of the stories.
Quiet you ;)

Victor - as pointed out already - Australian mainstream beers, whilst once a robust drop, are now becoming watered down flavourless megaswill. The recent crop of 'dry', 'low carb' and 'blonde' concoctions are made on 30% cane sugar, industrial enzymes and squirted with a minute amount of isohop extract on the way to the packing line. They are the McDonalds of beer drunk by people who like the idea of beer drinking, but don't really like the taste of real beer. Also for your information most craft beers entering the market are Australian (not actually pointed out in the article) and Melbourne is becoming a craft beer Mecca.
Posted by: Bribie | The Island - October 20, 2010, 3:13PM

"Where are the red beers? Why are all the new brews hoppy and wheat/white beers? There is a large hole in the beer market for the northern english/scottish bitters, real ales and red beers. Here's hoping brewers are reading this and take note..." (quoted)

Have to agree with this chap. Most of the micro breweries are producing hoppy brews. I dont like hoppy brews myself I prefer a malty flavour complimented with a slight hop background. I do like Austrian lagers which have a good saaz aroma. I don't get into the pilsners either being produced by the small guys with the saaz B, taste grassy to me.
Thats my taste buds like said you drink yours and ill drink mine.

Re the Fosters story, here's today's article from the Brisbane Times. I've posted comments in the Brisbane times one as well (when they get moderated - Fairfax are usually quick to mod)

Just goes to show that whenever there is a story in the media that touches on something you know fairly intimately, they INVARIABLY get it wrong. Speaks volumes for the rest of the stories.

:icon_cheers: Rarely has a nail been hit so accurately and eloquently on the head.

aggressively target the Queensland market, where XXXX is by far the most popular amber ale.
first one wrong

The company is expected to unveil a "super crisp" full strength beer
hooray a bland lager... super

New brands of Carlton Dry and a new wheat lager related to the Pure Blonde label, are also expected to be revealed tomorrow as part of a national strategy to boost declining sales
. hooray even more bland lagers...

living in beer wasteland continues

"Where are the red beers? Why are all the new brews hoppy and wheat/white beers? There is a large hole in the beer market for the northern english/scottish bitters, real ales and red beers. Here's hoping brewers are reading this and take note..." (quoted)

Have to agree with this chap. Most of the micro breweries are producing hoppy brews. I dont like hoppy brews myself I prefer a malty flavour complimented with a slight hop background. I do like Austrian lagers which have a good saaz aroma. I don't get into the pilsners either being produced by the small guys with the saaz B, taste grassy to me.
Thats my taste buds like said you drink yours and ill drink mine.
there is a market these micros have to get into. they are competeing for a small slice. they cant afford to cater to a tiner part of the market than they are already are in. so they go for whats in vougue (to a degree). its asham, but business 101.

there is a market these micros have to get into. they are competeing for a small slice. they cant afford to cater to a tiner part of the market than they are already are in. so they go for whats in vougue (to a degree). its asham, but business 101.

I also think it comes down to price aswell. The higher the AA% of the hop the less you need during the boil. So why use a mellow lower AA% hop like a Czech saaz when it increases the cost of the beer.

I live 15 mins south of clunes and never heard of it (the beer, I know vaguely about the town ;) ). Now I'm going wabbit hunting....

first one wrong

hooray a bland lager... super

. hooray even more bland lagers...

living in beer wasteland continues

Mate you got it easy, try living in north queensland. You ask for micro-beer here and they look at you like you have the plague. Up here it's xxxx, bundy or nothing.

Yep in qld you ask for a micro beer and they hand you a 7 ounce of XXXX Gold!!!

Back