Yeast Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just gave up on about the 7th mention of sourdough, this is a beer forum, we are talking about brewing. Much as I like good sourdough.

Just one point, not Hops, but Iso-Alpha Acids may be beneficial. From memory most yeasts aren't Gram+, well except the one that makes girls itchy.
Mark

Coalmi ner - correct
Kadmium - trying (and failing ?) to do a joke / pun on amber nectar.

Really think vit c part of this thread has been debated to death. for my next brew (next monday) I shall make 2 identical starters and add vit C to one of them, then observe / photograph progress....

Coalmi ner - correct
Kadmium - trying (and failing ?) to do a joke / pun on amber nectar.

Really think vit c part of this thread has been debated to death. for my next brew (next monday) I shall make 2 identical starters and add vit C to one of them, then observe / photograph progress....
ROB! as they say here in Aus, "fer fuc*s sake mate, give it a rest" If you really think you know better than the people that make this sh*t then "good on ya" but stop clogging up the forum with your outdated sour dough testing, yeast proofing crap, READ! what's been posted ffs.
As an old Londoner, Fullers, Smith and Turner cellar man/relief manager, and Whitbreads manager/Landlord, I'll say "stop takin the piss pal!"
Your posts are now just a wind up, any more and I would hope those in the know will lock the thread.

For that reason, we recommend a rehydration in sterile hopped wort compared to sterile unhopped wort or sterile water. The iso-alpha acids (ideally above 5ppm, the equivalent of 5 IBU) present in the media will protect it from Gram + bacterial development and will not affect the rehydration process of the ADY.
I have been using trub remains for next brew starters for ages, works well. Instead of tipping all the left over trub down the drain, put some in a sterile bottle or jar, gunk and all, then put it in the fridge and forget about it till next brew. The trub settles down and you get about 3/4 bottle/jar of good clear sterile hopped wort.
Trub starter.JPG

Back