Yeast Reculture Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odydoesbrew

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've done only a few recultures from bottle conditioned beers and each time I've stepped it up a couple of times, and each time I stick my nose in the jar and take a big whiff and get a burning type sensation right at the back of my nose. Two of those I pitched and things seemed to work out alright, threw the other because I was too concerned and didn't want to risk it. These were coopers ale and one was from my own homebrew to get some US05.
Anyway, I've some going from an english ale I drank and enjoyed, have stepped it up few times to about 1.5 lts, seems to be going well, but still get that smell sensation. Is this normal? Or am I doing it wong and getting infections or stressed yeast? My methods leave the chance of infection a possibilty.
Also, with this new one, the yeast is really clumping together forming chunks, that don't really break up when swirled around, and seems to fall down the side of the glass a lot more than I've experienced, if that makes sense. It's from a bottle of Morlands Hens Tooth.

Hope someones got some advice.

Ody

fermentation vapours giving a burning sensation? sounds like co2 to me :p

i'd agree ~MikE.

I always taste starters. If it tastes of funk, it goes down the drain. If it smells like yest, and tastes like beer. It's good to go.

Not sure of that particular bottle and the yeast in it. But English Ale yeast tends to be more flocculent. So I would say the yeast is doing what it is meant to do.

It's been a pretty hot week in Sydney, what temperature is your starter at? Could be why you smell some hot alcohol?

fermentation vapours giving a burning sensation? sounds like co2 to me :p

OK great that's what I thought, but I'm new to this and just couldn't find the right reference to that in any of the re-culture / starter threads. Cheers also Fourstar.

Josh said:
It's been a pretty hot week in Sydney, what temperature is your starter at? Could be why you smell some hot alcohol?

Thanks Josh, might have started a bit hotter but have had it at about 20deg for the most part.

Latest posts

Back