Yeast Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you use/prefer?

• Always use Dry yeast

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Always use Liquid yeast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use a mix of both(depending on style/time etc.....)

• Use Liquid,but carry an emergency Dry in the fridge.

• Other(please specify)

• Total voters

Mr Bond

Reaction score
Oh no not another Poll from that Nosey( Ba#@*rd) Brauluver again you say :rolleyes:

I can't help it .I find that these simple polls on a basic issue bring out some interesting data and generate some interesting posts.

For the record I use both nowadays.

I used to shun dry yeast and only used wyeast range, but since the arrival of Saf US 56 ,I find myself split between that and liquids.

There are many styles of beer that can only be made with the correct culture and thats the beauty of liquids(larger variety as well) I certainly coildn't knock out a decent weizen without my beloved 3333 strain.

the US 56 has been a blessing in that it is easy to use at short notice (just rehydrate) and provides consistent results time after time in many simple style ales(APA's ,Blondes,Pseudo lagers etc....),and though I'm yet to try it I think it would make a significant improvement to any K'n'K brew,over the stuff supplied.

any how vote away

Dave

A bit of both for me. Mainly cos there are some good strains of dry yeast out there and theyre a hell of a lot cheaper than liquid. ($4 vs $14.95) Plus, for yeast like us56 and w34/70 , these are the exact same strains as wyeast 1056 and 2124 and you dont need a starter to use them.

Vl.

edit: speeling

When you consider that a large fraction of the Lager brewed in Germany is made using S-23 or SW-3470, maybe you should give them a try to.

My number 1 seller is still S-04 people love the good clean Ale character and the way it sediments.

Try K-97 run it a bit warm in one of youre wheat beers.

There has been a lot of yeast snobbery over the years, and not undeserving, the dried yeasts were atrocious when I started brewing I think some of them were bakers yeast. But now days the range of excellent quality and good value for money yeasts is one of the things that makes home brewing a pleasure.

MHB

Liquid all the way for me, with dry on standby in case I have a bad yeast (only happened once) or I brew at real short notice (rare).

Liquid yeasts mainly because of the styles I brew and the lack of dry yeasts for them (especially histroically). Love the White Labs yeast. I also have plenty of strains for all the different styles I brew, and two stir plates that go almost non-stop.

Doc

I use S-04 for all my English style ales. I love its fermentation properties and it always drops clear. Used US-56 for my latest APA and it also finished a realy nice clear beer.

I am currently using W34/70 in a Pilsner. If that is successful it will be my standard yeast for that style, and in future I will only be using liquid for styles where there is no dry equivalent.

I think dry yeast is as good if not better than liquid these days.

So far only used dry yeast, but then I'm still K&K at the moment. Haven't tried a liquid yeast yet, but would have to be something special to justify the cost.
I know you can re-use the liquid yeasts again, but don't know about that :unsure:
Plenty of people do it I'm sure... but then plenty of people skydive and I can't see myself doing that either :D

I wouldn't want to jump out of a perfectly good plane either. :p Try the cheaper option of reculturing a yeast from the bottom of a Coopers ale. (at least the're fresher than some European imports in Adelaide). Check out the attachment for a sure fire method of reculturing yeast from a bottle. Worked so well for a complete novice that he took out best beer at the Angaston show a couple of years ago (wasn't me though).
cheers, :beer:

View attachment Beer_Yeast_Starter_Culture_27th_Sept._2003.doc

Started with the dry on the kits and moved to liquid.

Considering I make a starter and split it between 4-8 times. It works out very cheap. AND I get the out of date ones from grain and Grape which are half price.

I ususally have dry for backup.

Long live the yeast. :beerbang:

cheers
johnno

dial90 said:
I use S-04 for all my English style ales. I love its fermentation properties and it always drops clear. Used US-56 for my latest APA and it also finished a realy nice clear beer.

I am currently using W34/70 in a Pilsner. If that is successful it will be my standard yeast for that style, and in future I will only be using liquid for styles where there is no dry equivalent.

I think dry yeast is as good if not better than liquid these days.
[post="123480"][/post]​

Could not have said it better , I suppose it depend the style you are wishing to make but the quality of the safeale dried yeasts S-04 & US-56 should not be underestimated .

Pumpy

I'm a liquid yeast user at the moment,. Haven't used a dry yeast for some time - around 2 years. The W34/70 dry yeast is a goodun, and I've had good results in the past with the US 56... Although I've also had a couple of ordinary results which turned me off it. I find once you get in the swing of using liquid yeast there is no major hassle with it and I'm very happy with the results :)

Shawn.

Liquid yeast for me. :)

Only use dried yeast if there's a gun pointed at my head. :lol:

Got to agree with Mr. Gough. Liquid's no issue if you get the right mindset. The results are indeed worth it. ;)

Warren -

a little from column A & a little from column B :)
mainly dry recently as hoppy apa's have been my beer of the moment & US-56 has been doing a good enough job with far less hassle & expense.
i like dry yeast for convenience, & price, but i have to say if i had the time & $'s i'd be inclined to choose liquid over dry. mainly for the variety of choices but also taste. currently sipping on an ordinary bitter using wlp005 (the only beer so far this year using a liquid) & the malt profile is much better than anything i've done with s04, coopers etc.

I haven't tried liquid yet- I'm gong to give a wheat liquid yeast a try for my next honey beer, which I'll make in the next couple weeks.

peas_and_corn said:
I haven't tried liquid yet- I'm gong to give a wheat liquid yeast a try for my next honey beer, which I'll make in the next couple weeks.
[post="123513"][/post]​

You won't be dissapointed,A true wheaty can only be achieved witha liquid.
3068 is the most popular by far ,but i prefer 3333.Both are good and worth the $$$$ if u split and reculture.

I think the HBS I go to has the 3068 but I am not too sure. I'll be splitting and culturing, so I guess a straw hat will be needed for my venturing into yeast farming!

If its brewmaker(bill) maybe give him a ring to confirm.
Thats where i got my 3333 from.

cheers for the heads up. It probably is; but I'm willing to give everything a try at least once

I recently started yeast farming with slants and I don't yet have much variety in the bank. One I do have in the bank is S-04. You might think that it is hardly worth it, however it's been good practice. I know its characteristics well so I chose to use it to get my technique sorted out.

Scott

sah said:
I recently started yeast farming with slants and I don't yet have much variety in the bank. One I do have in the bank is S-04. You might think that it is hardly worth it, however it's been good practice. I know its characteristics well so I chose to use it to get my technique sorted out.

Scott
[post="123531"][/post]​

Everything is worth it and has value if u are learning.
Thats why i start these polls to learn sumpin........Oh and I like the graphy display as well....... :p

I normally use dry but occasionally use liquid if going for a particular style. I once split a batch of stout and used S-04 in one half and WLP004 Irish Ale yeast in the other. I then taste tested them side by side and really couldn't tell much difference - one certainly wasn't significantly better than the other. So after that experiment I decided to stick with S-04 for stouts and porters, US-56 for most of my pale ales and a liquid yeast for wheat and belgian ales.

If you have never tried a liquid yeast, I'd recommend you give one of the Belgian abbey / trappist yeasts a go. You won't get those complex stone fruit (eg. plums) flavours with any dry yeast I know of.

Back