Yeast Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you use/prefer?

• Always use Dry yeast

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Always use Liquid yeast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use a mix of both(depending on style/time etc.....)

• Use Liquid,but carry an emergency Dry in the fridge.

• Other(please specify)

• Total voters
I have so far been using dry yeast and recultured yeast from bottled beers (Cooper's mainly, but working on using one from a few LCPA bottles, even though I've been told it's a particular bottling/carbonanting strain).

What category does this put me in? :lol:

PZ.

p.s. I'm very far from keen on S-04...in fact I'd go so far as to say I hate it...fruity ester flavours are not my cup of tea....nor my glass of beer :ph34r:

I mostly use liquid cultures from my ranch, but have been known to toss in the occasional Coopers or US56 (lately). Dry yeasts are not just for backup.

Really appreciate what the different yeasts will do for your beer, except for the pineapple pils when I first started with lager yeasts (could have been Wyeast Bohemian)

Wheat beers go well with wheat yeast, but US56 will prob make a better honey (or honey wheat) beer. If you must use a wheat yeast, may I suggest a Wit yeast, as a few of these have a honey flavour, and I have made a very nice honey beer with Wit II - ferment cool.

Seth ( the yeast fancier ) :p

I have a great selection of liquid yeasts, but the majority of my beers get made with dried these days - The US-56 is definately a favourite & out performs the wyeast1056 everytime in my beers.
Certainly liquids are the only way to go with some beers, but I reckon that yeast snobbery is the only reason why some don't use dried...

cheers Ross

All liquid for me, must have close to 25 different strains in the fridge. Tailoring the right strain to the style is a must. Not degrading dry strains, but only having an American Ale style (US56), a British Ale (S04), a lager style (34/70?), etc., is fairly limiting. Trust I haven't upset the apple cart on a Monday morning :ph34r:

Cheers.

It's liquids only for my Belgians :) and a mix of dry or liquids for the others, depends on what I am after, for dry it usually US 56 or Nottingham :) as for liquids I have plenty, make that HEAPS.

I only use liquids but have nothing against dried yeasts.

I have made great beers with them in the past.

The main reason i use liquids is that i have been told that the slurry from a dried yeast can only be kept for a week or 2 before it has to be re-used. My saved slurry sits for up to 6 months in the fridge most of the time so using liquids is more ecanomical that way.

cheers

I started off using dry yeast and then delved into the world of liquid yeasts. Had about 6 or 7 different strains in the fridge at one stage. After a few infections in the starters am now back using dry yeasts. To be honest Im happy with the results of dry yeast for a lot less effort. Call me ignorant but I couldnt really tell the difference especially between my favourite US56 and Wyeast 1056. Guess Im a lazy brewer. Saying that though I do have a Kolsch Wyeast in the fridge which Im going to split into vials (Ross's method) and give that a go with something. I now mainly use US56, W34/70, Nottingham, Windsor, SO4, SO3 and anything else in the brewshop fridge that takes my fancy.
Cheers
Steve

I think people were splitting yeast cultures up before ross started home brewing :)

I do believe ross is responsible for the theory of relativity though :)

cheers

Those that use it how did you find the nottingham dry yeast? Just started a brown ale with one...

Tony - Ross is responsible for a lot of things that happen in my laundry/brewery! Not sure about relatively though, maybe splitting the atom?
Cheers
Steve

MHD - the nottinghams a pearler!

always dry, only because i can't get the liquid.

gagging to try the 56. :)

:party:

yard

...dry.

Have on occasion used a wyeast smack pack. A lot of effort to get one here. I really should look at splitting a wyeast next time.

...last one I had was a Californian ale ...which failed to swell (after a week of waiting) so I chucked it :(

Use both liquids and dry. Being a little lazy I probably use more dry.
When I use liquids I usually get around 10 brews out each packet; mainly reculturing from my own bottles.

Its nice to have a range of yeasts available at relatively short notice.

Cheers

Steve said:
Tony - Ross is responsible for a lot of things that happen in my laundry/brewery! Not sure about relatively though, maybe splitting the atom?
Cheers
Steve

MHD - the nottinghams a pearler!
[post="123603"][/post]​

Apparently, it was Young Einstein who split the beer atom, and not Ross.

They made a movie about it with some Newcastle bloke named Yahoo Serious.

No affiliation.

Seth Serious :p

yeah - that was Trough Lolly in disguise :p

Cheers
Steve

I voted "other" so i suppose I'd beter specify...

My yeast is on slants in the fridge. Some started life as liquid, others were cultured from bottles and other weer dry.

I still buy yeast when I need a strain I don't have yet.

Cheers
Dave

Airgead said:
I voted "other" so i suppose I'd beter specify...

My yeast is on slants in the fridge. Some started life as liquid, others were cultured from bottles and other weer dry.

I still buy yeast when I need a strain I don't have yet.

Cheers
Dave
[post="123653"][/post]​

Thanks for the reply.
I'm glad I put other in to cover those who don't fit exactly into a basic category.

98 votes so far,Thanks for everyones respone/input it s great to see such a large turnout. :beer:

Ross said:
The US-56 is definately a favourite & out performs the wyeast1056 everytime in my beers.
Certainly liquids are the only way to go with some beers, but I reckon that yeast snobbery is the only reason why some don't use dried...
cheers Ross
[post="123557"][/post]​

Checked on an Ale last night in it's 4th day using 56 and I was going mad @ 12- 13 degrees :huh:
It was pitched at a much higher temp and has just got cold down here in Melb in the last week or so.

Now I did not think that this yeast would brew that cold?

Out of interest Lukes, what are you using to measure your fermentation temperature? I wouldn't use the stick on thermometer as an accurate representation of the actual temperature for two reasons:

1. Stick on thermometers are not accurate, but they are a good guide.
2. Fermentation temperature is usually several degrees greater than that measured on the outside of the vessel, particularly when the ambient temperature is less than the wort as fermentation is exothermic.

Steve said:
yeah - that was Trough Lolly in disguise :p

Cheers
Steve
[post="123646"][/post]​

:blink: :D

I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality that I'm getting out of US-56 dry yeast. I've made my SNPA clone using both the US-56 and 1056 strains and I'll be stuffed if I can pick them in a blind tasting - I'd like to see them plated and have a close look at the cells... Very clean and bright attenuators - I also like to use the US-56 on dry stouts (think Sierra Nevada Stout) and I'm gonna try it on a steam beer (California Lager) clone very soon.

And the W-34/70 dry does do a good job, but I must confess that Wyeast 2124 is a touch maltier on my palate...So, I'd say I use both dry and liquid depending on what I want to brew at the time...

Cheers,
TL

Back