Dry Yeast Starters And Cultivating

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Danstar package their yeasts in a certified clean room and are not exposed to grain, other yeast strains and the environment all of which are likely to contaminate "re-packaged" yeasts.

I concur with Nev. Only buy dry yeast in original packages. Repackaged yeast IS less viable, is only slightly cheaper (except the re-packager makes a greater profit) and you run the risk of introducing contaminants.

tnd

Gee... And there I was thinking that I had great fermentations and great beers from the CB repackaged yeast. Obviously I was wrong. <_<

I wish yeastcalc would allow for fourth and fifth starter steps to account for people who split liquid yeast packs. Three steps is not enough from 20ml in a 23L lager.
If you take the cell count after your 3rd step and enter it up top as initial cell count that should give you another 3 steps.

+1 on the general consensus not to use repackaged yeast. Some vendors may do it properly, but it cannot be guaranteed that all do.
-1 on starters for dry yeast. No need, just make sure you rehydrate, and just use 2 sachets for a double or high gravity batch.

Back