Yeast Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you use/prefer?

• Always use Dry yeast

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Always use Liquid yeast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use a mix of both(depending on style/time etc.....)

• Use Liquid,but carry an emergency Dry in the fridge.

• Other(please specify)

• Total voters
NRB said:
Out of interest Lukes, what are you using to measure your fermentation temperature? I wouldn't use the stick on thermometer as an accurate representation of the actual temperature for two reasons:

1. Stick on thermometers are not accurate, but they are a good guide.
2. Fermentation temperature is usually several degrees greater than that measured on the outside of the vessel, particularly when the ambient temperature is less than the wort as fermentation is exothermic.
[post="126103"][/post]​

Yep, I was reading the stuck on so they would be @ 14 then?
Into secondary tonight and I will get the temp up to make sure it does not finish short.

Luke

I mostly use dry, except for certain specialties:
- weizenbier where Wyeast 3638 gives the flavour profile I desire.
- trappist/abbey: WLP500 or Wyeast 1214 in Dubbel, Wyeast 3787 in Tripel
- I'm planning to use Wyeast 1728 in a forthcoming Scottish ale.
- When sick of dried ale yeast, Wyeast 1968 makes fantastic bitter.

As far as dried yeasts goes, I've used most of them:

- Safale S-04. A bit bored with this strain, but keep it around "just in case"

- Safale US-56. Just like 1056 and easier to use. (But using 1056 in my next ale - Js Golden Ale clone - just because I happen to have a smack pack I got cheap). I notice a tendency for US-56 to generate more diacetyl than its liquid cousins, but it cleans up after a week or two. Particularly good for dry stouts as well.

- Saflager S-189. Clean, tolerant, no diacetyl makes great lager even if it gets up to 16 degrees C in primary. I don't like S-23 or W-34/70 at all. My last attempt at using W-34/70 produced fruit salad beer.

- Nottingham. Wonderful neutral pale ales & bitters, and oh so dry. I have made a couple of pale ales which were damn near indistiguishable from draught Bass with Nottingham. Nottingham is also great for Barley Wine - it fermented 1.095 down to 1.018 in 4 days with my last barley wine.

- Windsor. Fruity, estery, sometimes a hint of smoky character. Lovely yeast, but not very attenuative.

- Safbrew T-58. My absolute favourite specialty ale yeast. Safbrew T-58 makes glorious witbier and by far the best strong Belgian golden ale I have ever tasted (sort of like a cross between Duvel & LaChouffe, with a complex spicy flavour which is indescribable). There is no liquid equivalent to this yeast that I know of.

Finally, why not mix strains for more complexity? This way you get the ester or phenol profile from one yeast with the dry finish produced by a more attenuative but neutral strain. Here's a couple I've had good results with:

- Nottingham + Windsor = fruity, estery, complex from Windsor, but dry from the nottingham.
- T-58 + Nottingham = spicy, phenolic, but much drier than T-58 alone. Really good for producing strong golden ales or a tripel with a difference.

cheers,
Colin

Just venture to liquid and as long I can can keep the spare fridge for beer, probably only go back to dry as an emergency measure and never ever again using the one under the lid.

Matti

Back