Yeast Of The Week- 29/09/10 - Wyeast 1469-pc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this yeast?

• Fantastic Yeast

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Good Yeast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reasonable

• Wouldn't Use it Again

• Never Used It

• Total voters
Briefly as I have to fly, I'm surprised you're having attenuation issues with 1469, I've never had any at all and it is by far the most common strain I use. More often than not hyperattenuation is an issue, I only very occasionally beat the wort when I can be arsed, never rouse, never gets stuck, but I invariably mash fairly low too (<66C, usually around 64). So I'm at a loss... :huh:

Briefly as I have to fly, I'm surprised you're having attenuation issues with 1469, I've never had any at all and it is by far the most common strain I use. More often than not hyperattenuation is an issue, I only very occasionally beat the wort when I can be arsed, never rouse, never gets stuck, but I invariably mash fairly low too (<66C, usually around 64). So I'm at a loss... :huh:

Ralph... maybe that's the issue i touched on before. You're using the "original" 1469, the same sample you generously gave me (which is kicking off nicely with a 2 inch krausen this morning). Whereas, Boagsy and Shed101 are using the 2010 1469.

Original 1469 = good clear activity and appropriate attenuation
2010 1469 = low visible activity and lower attenuation

just a thought.. who knows??

Ralph... maybe that's the issue i touched on before. You're using the "original" 1469, the same sample you generously gave me (which is kicking off nicely with a 2 inch krausen this morning). Whereas, Boagsy and Shed101 are using the 2010 1469.

Original 1469 = good clear activity and appropriate attenuation
2010 1469 = low visible activity and lower attenuation

just a thought.. who knows??

But mine had crap loads of Krausen!

And it was extremely well aerated - yeast in first, wort cascaded out of a cube from 3 feet ... of course we're all using different worts and possibly different temps, too. :rolleyes:

But mine had crap loads of Krausen!

And it was extremely well aerated - yeast in first, wort cascaded out of a cube from 3 feet ... of course we're all using different worts and possibly different temps, too. :rolleyes:

Good to hear... too many variables i guess to pinpoint anything i guess.

Just my paranoia kicking in... i soooo want this Landlord to come out well :icon_drool2:

Mine is in a partial which had 2.6kg Golden Promise, a bit of Brown Malt and a pinch of Dark Crystal all mashed at 65-66 degrees C with a bit over a kilo of LDME to make up the numbers. Perhaps the kilo of dried malt could give me a higher FG than an AG recipe. Anyway it's only day 3 so we'll see how it all ends. Maybe too early to judge the yeast at this stage and only from a couple of examples of it's use.

Yeah, could be a bit early to jump to any firm conclusions, but interesting to note nevertheless. Like I say though, I've never had any lower than expected attenuation issues after about 40 batches (all daughters of one original slant) rather the opposite, but who knows maybe my reference thermometer reads low, maybe my seedstock is infected... with something delicious! :D
Boagsy, the extract could be the reason as its a bit of an unknown quantity, but it is only early and see how it goes in the coming days and it may creep down. To be honest, usually I don't even touch mine after pitching for at least a week, I can pitch and forget without as much as a single thought about it, then check the SG a fortnight later just before bottling. Unless it makes a mess that is, can be a bit of a grubby bugger at times... :angry:
I've got a few packs of the 2010 release, I'll smack one soon and slant it, but identify it relative to my existing stocks and see how it unfolds. :icon_cheers:

My hydro sample that I took yesterday has dropped to 1.013, still sitting on the bench. Perhaps there are other yeasties helping it out by now though.
Looks as though the yeast is starting to drop out in the main batch and things appear to have come to a stand still.
I bumped the temp up a couple of degrees to 20 and I'll see if the SG does creep down after a couple of days. I'm fairly confident this is gonna be a rippa of a beer, perhaps worthy of the extra effort.
It will be interesting to see other's results with this release.

So far I have 74% attenuation, with a thick krausen floating above. Exceeding expectations!

So far I have 74% attenuation, with a thick krausen floating above. Exceeding expectations!
You also live in Melbourne.
The under attenuating 1479 seems to live elsewhere, like where there's been a truck load of rain recently, this would change the water composition (certainly in Brissie - i've had a couple of pH issues...)
Did you check your water?

Just for experiment's sake and because i do double batches split into 2 cubes. I pitched a fresh smack pack into the second half of the batch of TTLL this morning

So now i have 20L of 1050 on 1469 started from a slant and 20L of 1050 on 1469 started from a fresh smack pack. Both sitting in the fridge at 17.5C. Will let it sit like that for a few more days then raise to 18-19C until terminal gravity, crash chill etc etc.

Activity looks pretty good on the slant 1469;

1469_Krausen_1.jpg

Obviously nothing yet on the fresh pack (only pitched about 90 mins ago). Will take some photos tonight.

Just for experiment's sake and because i do double batches split into 2 cubes. I pitched a fresh smack pack into the second half of the batch of TTLL this morning

So now i have 20L of 1050 on 1469 started from a slant and 20L of 1050 on 1469 started from a fresh smack pack. Both sitting in the fridge at 17.5C. Will let it sit like that for a few more days then raise to 18-19C until terminal gravity, crash chill etc etc.

Activity looks pretty good on the slant 1469;

View attachment 41697

Obviously nothing yet on the fresh pack (only pitched about 90 mins ago). Will take some photos tonight.

Should be interesting ... although 1050's pretty high for Landlord - perhaps you should call it Grandlord! :icon_cheers:

Should be interesting ... although 1050's pretty high for Landlord - perhaps you should call it Grandlord! :icon_cheers:

yeah i know... 1050 is a spot higher than anticipated. Was my 3rd batch on the new system, so i planned for 75% and ended up getting 79%... all good though, still should be :icon_drool2:

smelled so good out of the cubes i was tempted to take a swig :D

Thar she blows!

Golden Promise, touch of Crystal, Aurora, Styrian and Fuggles (and more Styrian)... and 1469

Eye lad, Grandlord? maybe at 1.059 - but he is fat and alcoholic, does that count?

IMAG0133.jpg

I should add - This is after 24Hrs...

Smell - promising (golden...!); taste - tastes like 24hr old wort with 1469 fizzing through... fantastic.

I make a superlandlord, life's too short to drink sub 5% beers (well in my case it's getting shorter by the day although I'm not into the home straight for a while yet :rolleyes: )
In Yorkshire they would typically give the beer two sabbaths before running off into the cask.

Thar she blows!

Golden Promise, touch of Crystal, Aurora, Styrian and Fuggles (and more Styrian)... and 1469

Eye lad, Grandlord? maybe at 1.059 - but he is fat and alcoholic, does that count?

View attachment 41699

I should add - This is after 24Hrs...

Smell - promising (golden...!); taste - tastes like 24hr old wort with 1469 fizzing through... fantastic.

Current release of 1469?

I'm rubbish at this aren't I...

It's new 1469. I smacked the smack pack, let it swell whilst mashing - it was a four hour mash with a decoction... bunged it in a litre jug of some of the wort I'd just mashed (@24C). Four hours (and a 90m boil) later, it was pitched (into 26l of 1.059 @~22C). Already a 2cm krausen in the jug, and layer of yeast pushing the trub down.
The wort also contains yeast nutrient (normal recomended amount) and splashing to airate whilst transferring to fermenter.

The picture above was taken just a gnats under 24hrs. I've cleaned up three similar enthusiastic ejeculations since...

I'm rubbish at this aren't I...

It's new 1469. I smacked the smack pack, let it swell whilst mashing - it was a four hour mash with a decoction... bunged it in a litre jug of some of the wort I'd just mashed (@24C). Four hours (and a 90m boil) later, it was pitched (into 26l of 1.059 @~22C). Already a 2cm krausen in the jug, and layer of yeast pushing the trub down.
The wort also contains yeast nutrient (normal recomended amount) and splashing to airate whilst transferring to fermenter.

The picture above was taken just a gnats under 24hrs. I've cleaned up three similar enthusiastic ejeculations since...

No worries, thanks Scruffy.
After reading your detail I think my problems lie with aeration and intitial cell count.
One way to find out, I'll do an EIPA with it next and make up a 3 litre starter, pitching it into a well aerated wort when active.
I take it you didn't beat it, considering it may have bitten your arm off if you tried.

Latest posts

Back