Yeast Of The Week- 29/09/10 - Wyeast 1469-pc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this yeast?

• Fantastic Yeast

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Good Yeast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reasonable

• Wouldn't Use it Again

• Never Used It

• Total voters
Mine arrived this morning, still nice and cool and is now in my yeast fridge awaiting my next brew day.

:icon_offtopic: I'm stepping up one of the Brewlab yeasts ATM (4008-Tyneside I) for inoculation tomorrow, can't wait to see how it performs.

Hello Friends I agree with the above post and the points that you people discuss is fantastic.Thanks.

i can hear an orchestra of popping smack packs all round the nation as the masses prepare for their weekend brews,

think of the old chip ad ... 'the daintiest way to stuff your face'

i can hear an orchestra of popping smack packs all round the nation as the masses prepare for their weekend brews,

think of the old chip ad ... 'the daintiest way to stuff your face'

Well mine's been down for 24 hours, and it's in danger of pushing the bloody fridge door open at 17C! I reckon it's expanding foam, not yeast!
icynene-foam-insulation-system.jpg

Well mine's been down for 24 hours, and it's in danger of pushing the bloody fridge door open at 17C! I reckon it's expanding foam, not yeast!
icynene-foam-insulation-system.jpg

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a blow-off tube at th ready when I get mine in.

Did you build up a starter or just pitch the smacked pack?

smacked it, left overnight, pitched and dropped the wort onto it.

smacked it, left overnight, pitched and dropped the wort onto it.

I usually build up a big starter from the smack-pack and take some samples before I build the batch starter up for pitching but I'm feelin lazy and impatient.

Do you top crop it?

I might look into this instead.
How long do you samples remain viable?

If you store them in sterile water one-two years (takes longer to get started the older the sample), but I usually re-culture and take a new reference sample every 9-12months. I think slants last longer, but that's just a gut feel, than slurry/water samples....

If you store them in sterile water one-two years (takes longer to get started the older the sample), but I usually re-culture and take a new reference sample every 9-12months. I think slants last longer, but that's just a gut feel, than slurry/water samples....

Sounds the go.
I'll only need one sample and take another each time I use it. I'll have some in the bottom of my bottles if all else fails.
When using the cropped sample in the next batch, just pitch it straight in or make a starter?

I always make a starter with any re-used yeast, including top cropped.

1 - to make sure it's still viable.
2. To make sure there's no infection
3. To pitch active yeast.

The only time I've pitched top cropped yeast directly is inocculating a batch directly from a currently fermenting one (so scoop from one fermenter straight into another)

I always make a starter with any re-used yeast, including top cropped.

1 - to make sure it's still viable.
2. To make sure there's no infection
3. To pitch active yeast.

The only time I've pitched top cropped yeast directly is inocculating a batch directly from a currently fermenting one (so scoop from one fermenter straight into another)

Sounds logical.
I guess with half a tallie of top-crop you wouldn't need to step it up, just make it to size straight up?

So, here's a top-cropping question:

I've been madly skimming, top-cropping and beating the wort twice a day for 3 or 4 days ... the foam keeps coming back.

For the health of the wort (or more correctly gyle) I presume it would be best if I stop while i'm still getting a good protective foam covering ... or should I just keep going until it's gone for good?

So, here's a top-cropping question:

I've been madly skimming, top-cropping and beating the wort twice a day for 3 or 4 days ... the foam keeps coming back.

For the health of the wort (or more correctly gyle) I presume it would be best if I stop while i'm still getting a good protective foam covering ... or should I just keep going until it's gone for good?

My view. keep going until you no longer have room for any more top cropped yeast in storage...It won't matter if there is foam or just Co2 sitting on top if a big or small drop of something foul drops into the beer it will go straight through both.

Shed, I'd stop beating it now, else it may just oxidise it. Its fine initially, but as fermentation progresses it just isn't necessary.

I'd take enough yeast to culture a batch or maybe a couple, no more. Top crop off the next batch and so on, that's how I operate, cascading like.

Yep, there you go, two brewers- two entirely different opinions! :icon_cheers:

I ended up making a 2 litre starter from my smackpack and I'll be saving a couple of samples for future brews.
I'm surprised at how flocculant this yeast is and the clarity of the beer in my starter. The aroma coming from my starter is also very nice, pleasantly fruity. Looking forward to drinking a beer made from this beauty.

ive got my first attempt with this yeast on the stirplate as of yesterday. The slant startup took 6-8 hours and leaked all over my benchtop whilst is was at work. atleast it wasnt grenade and exploded.

The starter looks a little sad thismonring after 12 hours~ on the plate which is strange aftre its wild activity in the vial. Knowing this yeast, i'll get home and its crawed out and all over the kitchen floor.

The plans for it so far are:

EPA
EIPA
ESB
Kentucky Common

:icon_cheers:

Would anyone be willing to part with a sample of this yeast? I missed out again!

Not bothered by which form its in, and im more than happy to cover and costs and postage.

Cheers,
Paul

Back