Yeast Of The Week- 29/09/10 - Wyeast 1469-pc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this yeast?

• Fantastic Yeast

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Good Yeast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reasonable

• Wouldn't Use it Again

• Never Used It

• Total voters
Would anyone be willing to part with a sample of this yeast? I missed out again!

Not bothered by which form its in, and im more than happy to cover and costs and postage.

Cheers,
Paul

I think it's going to be available for a little while yet mate.
I reckon CraftBrewer will be gettting some more in. Not sure but I think they have sold two lots out already.

Well mine's been down for 24 hours, and it's in danger of pushing the bloody fridge door open at 17C! I reckon it's expanding foam, not yeast!
icynene-foam-insulation-system.jpg

I'm just not getting the expanding foam thing happening with this yeast.
I pitch a healthy, active and well aerated 1litre or so starter late Saturday afternoon and set her to ferment at 18 degrees C. After 24 hours all I had was a pathetic little 1.5 cm krausen.
I gave it a beating with the spoon last night but still a 1cm mingy lookin krausen this morning and whimpy fermentation.
Would under-aeration cause this? My new spoon wasn't up to the job as I expected.
I'm gonna give it another beating this morning but I think I must be doing something wrong somewhere along the line.

What are the SG numbers Boagsy? So OG and current SG.

Could be underpitched, that would be my first guess, but I've pitched 1L starters before without too much hassle. Does sound a bit slack but perhaps it will go beserk any minute.

Could be underpitched, that would be my first guess, but I've pitched 1L starters before without too much hassle. Does sound a bit slack but perhaps it will go beserk any minute.

Timely....

Took a photo this morning of my starter... going to pitch later on today. Stepped it up over the past week from a generously donated slant ;) . Decanted and threw another 1L of 1040 in there to kick it off. Pitched last night at 8pm after a heap of shaking, just let it sit in the kitchen overnight. Went to bed at 11pm and there was already activity... this morning it's going great guns.

IMG_0443.jpg

Boagsy i reckon it'll fire off soon enough... when it does it you'll know about it.

mine are sitting at a mild 19deg and are only pushing a fluffy and creamy yeasty 2 inch krausen. nothing explosive like 3068 but its definitley chewing through.

OG was around 1.043 and I haven't taken a current SG as yet.
Perhaps I did underpitch. I took 2X330ml samples from a swirled-up 2 litre starter made up from the smack pack. After C'C'ing and decanting the beer off what was left of the starter I fed it with a litre of batch wort and pitched it when it was active.
It's definitely fermenting but it just hasn't taken off like I was expecting and even looked to be slowing if the airlock bubble rate was anything to go by(I know). There is active bubbling in the krausen and it frothed up quite a bit when I beat it last night.
I'm half expecting it to go beserk any minute, perhaps beating it diminishes krausen potential.

I just chucked the whole swollen packet into 25 litres of 1042 wort and beat it like it had wronged me badly, but I loved it too much to really hurt it (yes, still talking about yeast).

Kept it up morning and night for three days (yes, still talking about yeast).

Only got 67% attenuation out of it though.

It's definitely fermenting but it just hasn't taken off like I was expecting and even looked to be slowing if the airlock bubble rate was anything to go by(I know). There is active bubbling in the krausen and it frothed up quite a bit when I beat it last night.
I'm half expecting it to go beserk any minute, perhaps beating it diminishes krausen potential.

I just chucked the whole swollen packet into 25 litres of 1042 wort...
Only got 67% attenuation out of it though.

Based on the activity i'm seeing (good strong activity) and the reports you guys are giving (underwhelming performance) I'm wondering if it's the latest release of 1469?? That is, considering i'm using a re-cultured slant and I assume you're both using the latest release??

Based on the activity i'm seeing (good strong activity) and the reports you guys are giving (underwhelming performance) I'm wondering if it's the latest release of 1469?? That is, considering i'm using a re-cultured slant and I assume you're both using the latest release??

Yes, fresh as a daisy.

Yes, fresh as a daisy.

Well that's an interesting comparison then. I have another slant and a fresh pack which i plan to keep for a long time, hopefully make slants out of it. But it'll be interesting to compare the 2, whenever i get round to it.

Looks like it has the job half done under two days from pitching. Took a sample before I beat the daylights out of it and got a tad over 1.020. I don't think I'll lay a finger on it again though and hope I haven't overdone it too far into fermentation.
The thing is, the sample smells like heaven, still sweet but one of the most delicious samples that's ever come from my fermenter. :icon_drool2: I threw 30g of Styrians Goldings pellets into the pot at flameout and left them there.

Looks like it has the job half done under two days from pitching.
What am I thinkin, it's 2/3rds of the way done after less than 2 days. Obviously fermentation is progressing without obvious signs of vigour or a huge krausen for some reason. What could supress the krausen, anything from the trub?

Sorry about the running commentary but I just thought I would add that there is a good 2 inches of krausen sitting on the wort now. Perhaps I was just down a little in numbers at pitching, could of been the result of a dodgy thermometer, under-aeration of the wort or who knows.

From what I have gathered this yeast likes very good aeration and lots of rousing or it can under attenuate or stall

mine are sitting at a mild 19deg and are only pushing a fluffy and creamy yeasty 2 inch krausen. nothing explosive like 3068 but its definitley chewing through.

Did you beat it?

From what I have gathered this yeast likes very good aeration and lots of rousing or it can under attenuate or stall

Didn't work for Shed101.

My hydro sample has fermented out to 1.016 sitting on the bench all arvo.
I'm not sure I should give mine another beating if the main batch is that far through fermentation, even though it is only 2 days after pitching.

I think it's going to be available for a little while yet mate.
I reckon CraftBrewer will be gettting some more in. Not sure but I think they have sold two lots out already.

G&G had run out but John confirmed they'll be ordering more. He took my details and they are going to give me a call when it comes in so if anyone wants one they can probably do the same

How far through fermentation AFA SG goes would anyone recommend beating this lazy yeast?
I would of liked this beer to finish a couple of points below 1.014 at least but given Shed101's 67% attenuation experience and the look of things here, it's not gonna happen.

I stopped on day 3 or 4 on the advice of much wiser authorities (Screwy and BribieG).

The Wyeast figures are 67 - 71% so 1012-1014.

I'm happy with 1014 - it's a northern beer after all, so i'd expect something a little heavier and it's a perfect match ABV-wise for the cask ale at 4.3% (the bottled stuff is 4.1%).

I stopped on day 3 or 4 on the advice of much wiser authorities (Screwy and BribieG).

The Wyeast figures are 67 - 71% so 1012-1014.

I'm happy with 1014 - it's a northern beer after all, so i'd expect something a little heavier and it's a perfect match ABV-wise for the cask ale at 4.3% (the bottled stuff is 4.1%).

Sounds Ok Shed.
Did you take any SG readings on day 3 or 4?
I might try racking if mine is still above 1.014 in a couple of days, beating with 2 or 3 points to go may not be wise.

Yes, can't remember what they were, but it didn't look like much was happening even though it was finishing off nicely.

I gave it 10 days all up.

Back