Lallemand/ Danstar London ESB Dry yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJR

I'm out
Reaction score
Just saw this on the lallemand page, looks like it's about a week or two after being released now.

http://www.lallemandyeast.com/company/products/london-esb

London ESB yeast was selected from the Lallemand yeast culture library towards
producing a range of English-style ales exhibiting clean, well-balanced aromatic
profiles with moderate alcohol production. London ESB offers the right fermentation
and aromatic profiles suitable for Extra Special Bitter styles as well as Pale Ale,
bitter and other traditional English beers.
London ESB yeast is best used at a fermentation temperature range of 18-22degC (65-72degF). Fermentation is generally completed in 3-5 days dependent on recipe and process conditions. * Attenuation range 65-75% *

Produces a clean, well balanced ale. Medium attenuation preserves some beer complexity. Best for well-balanced British style ales.

Some noise on the net about it now

Wonder when it's going to be available, always good to have more dry yeast options.

I wonder if its the fullers yeast in dry form. I remember seeing a reference to newcastle dark ale from mangrove jacks as potentially being muntons gold which supposedly was the fullers.

If this is the same strain as wyeast 1968 I'll give it a crack! Awesome yeast for malty pales or ESB any malt forward beer really

edit: doesn't say much about flocculation, if it drops clear it may be the same or similar strain

I can't find any reports or feedback from a quick search, is anyone local stocking it yet?

Moad said:
If this is the same strain as wyeast 1968 I'll give it a crack! Awesome yeast for malty pales or ESB any malt forward beer really

edit: doesn't say much about flocculation, if it drops clear it may be the same or similar strain

I can't find any reports or feedback from a quick search, is anyone local stocking it yet?
I've emailed lallemand australia to find out when it's available, if they can't answer i'll ask winequip and failing that my LBS to find out.

Looks like it's only been out a week or two globally

I emailed john Preston at grain and grape about this yeast the other day and he said that lallemand australia have just received it andgrape+g will have it in next week.It must be pretty similar to Fullers yeast cos John Keeling the head brewer at fullers endorses it on the lallemand website.Looking forward to trying it cos if it's pretty decent I won't bother with the wyeast 1968.

Yep, Lallemand Australia told me it's in stock, so i'll chase it down with Pat @ Absolute sometime soon. If someone from Fullers is endorsing it, it must be very similar to that.

I love everything that Lallemand/Danstar does. Their yeasts are hungry bastards. Will buy this one as soon as I see it.

Looking forward to this one. Living in a regional area I tend to over buy on Wyeasts and often have to smack a 9 month old pack - dried yeasts keep for years and lately I've been getting more into Mangrove Jacks.

Bribie G said:
Looking forward to this one. Living in a regional area I tend to over buy on Wyeasts and often have to smack a 9 month old pack - dried yeasts keep for years and lately I've been getting more into Mangrove Jacks.
How are you finding their yeasts? I've been a bit hesitant to try them, for no good reason.

I'm fermenting with 3 different ones from MJ at the moment. I plan on writing a report on each of them once the beer is ready.

So far, with rehydration no lag time and I have a west coast yeast that appears done in 3 days.

billygoat said:
If it's similar to Wyeast 1968 it won't be dry as 1968 is a moderate attenuator.
i think he was talking about the form of it. being a dry packet yeast not a liquid yeast.

welly2 said:
How are you finding their yeasts? I've been a bit hesitant to try them, for no good reason.
Excellent, the New World Strong (Formerly Newcastle) does a great stout and both my stouts came mid field in the NSW comp.
edit: when I moved here I needed a keg filler so used a MJ Czech tin, their M84 Bohemian Lager yeast and some BE2 to run up a kit lager, whilst not a prize winner, you couldn't pick it as a kit.. did a great job.

I'm going to knock out an AG lager this weekend using two packs of that yeast, keen to see what happens.
I'm swimming in grains and hops at the moment so if I can find a retailer who will post them just in an envelope instead of having to pay for a $12 satchel I'll be buying up a shitload.

Off topic sorry.

On topic of course if that retailer also then stocks the new Lallemand, I'll grab a few of those as well.

I'm pretty sure that Morgan's premium ale yeast is Fuller's strain, comes in 15g packs. It's flocculent and medium dry, described as a commercial English strain.

Autopilot said:
I'm pretty sure that Morgan's premium ale yeast is Fuller's strain, comes in 15g packs. It's flocculent and medium dry, described as a commercial English strain.
Is that right? So Morgan's Premium Ale is the dried version of 1968? I didn't know that, but would be great if true. :huh:

Aus_Rider_22 said:
Is that right? So Morgan's Premium Ale is the dried version of 1968? I didn't know that, but would be great if true. :huh:
I very much doubt it is the Fullers strain meself.

clibit said:
I very much doubt it is the Fullers strain meself.
I was doubtful so I sent Morgan's a FB message. The social media person wasn't very helpful but said it was any Wyeast strain!

"This might sound odd, but I don't know the exact strain of yeast this is. I do know for sure it's not a dried wyeast strain though. Sorry I couldn't be more specific."

Latest posts

Back