Yeast Of The Week- 29/09/10 - Wyeast 1469-pc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this yeast?

• Fantastic Yeast

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Good Yeast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reasonable

• Wouldn't Use it Again

• Never Used It

• Total voters
Like anything in brewing, you can go the basic middle of the road approach (simple infusion vs stepped mash, salts additions vs just plain old water etc) and will still end up with a fine drop. I do the thrashing etc to fine tune the beer 'to style' but as long as you aerate the wort well to start with, I've heard lots of people just running it sealed up and producing an acceptable beer with no problems.

Same as most english yeasts. Aerate lots. Once they're off they aint stoppin! If they're stalling on you you either haven't pitched enough or aerated enough. I do both so I can comfortably leave 'em the f*&% alone.
Lloydie

What would you use as a Sub ? Given that it's a limited release and not everyone's got their own slant library. Thought I'd read somewhere BribieG mentioning the Wood Ale yeast from ProCulture was pretty similar ?

What would you use as a Sub ? Given that it's a limited release and not everyone's got their own slant library. Thought I'd read somewhere BribieG mentioning the Wood Ale yeast from ProCulture was pretty similar ?
Yep Proculture-103 - once they fix the bottle-cap issue it should be available year-round.
I've not actually used Wy1469, but I have used Pro103 (Wood Ale) which is apparently a very similar yeast.
Aerate it well at the start and use a decent sized stir-plate-grown starter and have never had any issues or needed to rouse it.

if you can't get the proculture I'd use 1187. less stonefruit but great yeast. I'm sure Whitelabs have a yorkshire yeast as well but I've not used it.

Not being critical, but are you comparing to bottled or cask TTL?

I'm sure he was trying to hit the cask. And having had a fair bit of cask (and a lot less bottles) i'd say there's a pretty big difference. I don't get the same caramel flavours that most UK beers seem to inherit on their way to Oz in bottles... I guess the aeration out of handpumps makes a fair difference, too.

Bottle and all the reading ive been doing on said beer. The carmel flavour you are getting from imports is oxidation. Nothing more. its a pretty muted beer considering its all base malte and the kettle caramelisation gives more mothfeel and sweetness if anything, not big toffee flavours like you get from oxidation.

I also have my doubts about TT using munich in their beer. This is a good recipe, but not a TTL.

All i know is using 100% GP with some kettle caramelisation and the correct yeast* will give you a close to perfect TTL in bottle form. As for the hand pump, i cannot comment. What i do know is carbonation and temperature do play a BIG part in flavour perception so the recipe may be the same, just different OG/ABV. ;)

I made mine with 1968, it was very similiar just lacking the fruits of 1469.

Did this already sellout at CB??

Did this already sellout at CB??

Don't think so... i think the release date from WYeast is October 1st... not the date that Ross will have it.

Not sure when they'll have it... but i'd say within the month. Worth a call i reckon.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D

Don't panic! ...it's available through 'till December...

my arse...

:ph34r: :ph34r: And far later than that once the proculture lads have had their way with it :ph34r: :ph34r:

Don't panic! ...it's available through 'till December...

my arse...

Picked up some this afternoon... should still be plenty left... now i have to learn how to make slants... or preferably top croft for infinity

Picked up some this afternoon... should still be plenty left... now i have to learn how to make slants... or preferably top croft for infinity

No there's not.....Sold out - 50 packets gone in under 48 hours :eek: .

We'll have more next week & I'm sure it will be readily available at most good stores over the next few months.

cheers Ross

We'll have more next week & I'm sure it will be readily available at most good stores over the next few months.

cheers Ross

Glad I got my order in yesterday morning!!

cheers Ross

Wow... must have just about got the last one... thanks for the beer too Ross.

Gotta get my low alc beers up to par now

Mine's safe and sound in my fridge, arrived today beautifully packaged, thanks Josh and Ross.
Still very cold and the ice packs remained partially frozen after travelling from one end of the country to the other.
Now to get a nice big pot to try my first partial with it, a Dr Smurto's Landlord of sorts.

Going to grab 2 smack packs of this one! Got plans to crank out some english bitters - probably won't have to use the second smack pack for some time since it is a great top cropper.

cheers Ross

Feck, I was gonna get some on Saturday :blink:
No problem, since I wasn't planning on using it soon.

Yeah, its a great top cropper Phillip, shouldn\'t disappoint! :beerbang:

My pair of packs are just chilling for a bit (many thanks, supplier! :icon_cheers: ), I already had it as slants (many thanks, supplier! :beer: ) but I thought I may as well get fresh seedstock, so I\'ll do up a great heap of fresh slants when I smack one, can\'t have too many slants. I just don\'t know when I\'ll get a chance to try those UK slants from BrewLabs... :huh:

Edit: Winkle, feel free to let me know if you can\'t source, more than happy to provide!

Back