Yeast Containers ... Small Ones

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sos, you show some petri dishes in there stacked one on top of the other. I was under the impression they should be a single layer with the lids propped slightly ajar.

Gout said:
any updates on these test tubes? i am hanging out for mine to make up some more slants

Tubes are in and I will pick them up 2morrow, should be able to post some by friday. I dont have everyones addresses yet, I will post a list tonight of who I still need details for.

Cheers Ausdb

pint of lager said:
Sos, you show some petri dishes in there stacked one on top of the other. I was under the impression they should be a single layer with the lids propped slightly ajar.
[post="67050"][/post]​
You got me there. Not being a pro in this field I have no idea but I couldn't imagine much of a difference. I have some plated yeast that is about 2 months old done in those two dishes and they have survived all that time with no sign of infection.

ausdb said:
Tubes are in and I will pick them up 2morrow, should be able to post some by friday. I dont have everyones addresses yet, I will post a list tonight of who I still need details for.

Ok could the following please PM me their address details

AndrewQLD
Jgriffin
Tidalpete/nonicman
Bagnol
Batz
Brissybrew

I will PM my bank details once I have sent a few off and worked out what postage is

Ausdb

ausdb said:
I will PM my bank details once I have sent a few off and worked out what postage is

Ausdb
[post="67110"][/post]​

If you know how big the package is and how much it weighs, go to the aus post web site. They have an online calculator that will tell you postage costs without having to go to the post office and spend money before we all pay you..

Cheers
Dave

THEY'RE HERE!!!!!!!!
Img_4112.jpg
OMG what have I got myself in for? the bags of tubes are in 250's but there's one bag only of caps and theres 1500 of the buggers in it and my scales arent that accurate. Any sandgropers there have a spare set of 0.1g scales I could borrow so I can just weight out 50 and 100 of the caps

JasonY and any other WCB members I will bring yours to Big Als today, I wil also get one lot of 50 and one lot of 100 to the post office as well (lucky dip who gets sent theirs first!) then I will know what size bag and a postage weight so I can work everyone elses out.

Cheers Ausdb

My god.
What have you got yourself in for :lol:
I'm sure everyone will appreciate your efforts ausdb. Top job.

Doc

Hi Sosman,

i usually keep some of my wort after the boil (2lt) for starters, do you think it would be possible to use the wort with agar for yeast plating.

Regards
Andrew

If you are using slants, go for it.

But if you are using petri dishes and selecting individual colonies for long term storage, I suggest sticking to the same recipe for every plate.

When selecting individual colonies, you look at the macro size and shape of colonies. If you keep changing the nutrient levels and sg of the base wort, I suspect the colony size will vary. So to take one variable out, I use DME at the same rate as starter wort.

Thanks for organising this Darryn, didn't see you leave Al's brew day today. Can't wait to get some yeast into them now.

Must have been fun counting!

AndrewQLD said:
i usually keep some of my wort after the boil (2lt) for starters, do you think it would be possible to use the wort with agar for yeast plating.
[post="67400"][/post]​
Sure, as POL said, try to keep some consistency with gravity and other variables. Having said that, I have reduced my malt about 30% and will consider reducing it a bit more.

Also, if you have DME on hand, you need buggerall and you have to sterilise it anyway. The other thing that comes to mind is that depending on how you collect your wort, it should be free of most break material which will make the slants clearer.

Thanks for the replies POL and Sosman, When I get my tubes i will give it a try and see how it goes, can't wait to start my bank.

cheers Anndrew

Ok guys

I sent the test parcels off today, for the people buying 100 its going to be easiest to use a 3kg express post satchel which works out all up to $47.50 each, but you cant fit really more than 100 in the satchel

For the 50 buyers its either way so the all up cost will be $24.50

I am sending a PM to you all now, cheers and happy yeast collecting, Please use your aussiehomebrewer nickname in the payment description.

And for the interested ones I worked out a cheats way of counting the caps, 5 rows of 20 = 100. There was 1 cap left over so the manufacturer must have some pretty accurate measuring weighing equipment!
Img_4113.jpg
Cheers and Beers :beer:

Ausdb

Ausdb,

I got my vials today :super: , thanks for all the trouble you went too. Now to start my yeast banks. I'm excited :D

Cheers
Andrew

AndrewQLD said:
Ausdb,

I got my vials today :super: , thanks for all the trouble you went too. Now to start my yeast banks. I'm excited :D

Cheers
Andrew
[post="68732"][/post]​

Half your luck Andrew. I missed out on this for one reason or another and now I have to search for cheap sources on my own. I wonder if Ausdb has some spares???

:chug: :beer:
PeterS....

Mine arrived too.
thanks for all the hard work

Rob

ausdb

mine arrived today, very happy, perfect size.
Appreciate all the hard work involved with the bulk orders so thanks very much for that.
Now, to fill them.............

Hoops

Latest posts

Back