Yeast Containers ... Small Ones

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As i missed out on this lot, im willing to orgaise the next bulk buy, anyone else interested?...ausdb, can you forward any info to me?

Hoops said:
Did about another 20 with sterile water ready for yeast samples from bottles or for yeast storage from the plates.

Once again thanks to ausdb for doing the bulk buy and once again I appreciate AHB for making it all possible.
[post="72472"][/post]​

Aaw shuck Hoops you make me blush!!

Quick question how much yeast are you supposed to collect to store under sterile water? I just got a shiny new pressure cooker for my birthday :D and are going to start saving a bit of my 1st generations fro each smackpack from now on.

Cheers Ausdb

Wander over to the Craftbrewers' site. Check out Graham Sanders' article on sterile water storage method.

Print it out, read and reread it. There is a lot of information in there. After you have been farming for a while, go back over Graham's notes, it is amazing what you pick up. These notes are an excellent soure of info for anyone who is farming. The comments on sanitation are for anyone dealing with yeasts.

Also, go to Sos's brewwiki site. He has lots of yeast farming sites listed for you to go through and read. Plus of course, Sos's pictures of his yeast farming.

Blank slants seem to last for ages. I have some here that are two years old, and have just streaked them up.

As to how much yeast to store under sterile water (note this is sterile tap water, not distilled water) from your perfect plate, select at least six colonies. These colonies should be average colonies, not too big, not too small, uniform size and good colour. You are using the macro shape of the colonies to select for healthy representative yeast sample.

ozbrewer said:
As i missed out on this lot, im willing to orgaise the next bulk buy, anyone else interested?...ausdb, can you forward any info to me?
[post="72485"][/post]​

Count me in as I also missed out.

:beer:
PeterS....

Where are people sourcing vials or similar for yeast storage these days?

It's about time I gave up the Coke PET bottle method. It's taking up too much beer space in the fridge.

There is a place in Adelaide called Southern Cross Scientific that sell them. I tried to get some from them but they never called me back. I am guessing they don't really like dealing with people buying one box, which is fair enough.

You could see if you have better luck with them.

I use these 30ml polypropylene tubes from proscitech:

http://www.proscitech.com/catalogue/l9.asp

part number LP9025-UL

they cost almost bugger all and I can pressure cook them and split a wyeast 4 ways into them.

Voosher, if you are only after a couple drop me a PM, i'm happy to send you a few.

I bought 100 of the A2580 model 25mL blood/sample tubes from Livingstone the other day.

http://www.livingstone.com.au/search_resul...mp;search=a2580

Cost me $28 including delivery or so. Nice sized containers, a little small but fine for capturing slurry from starters and ferments to reuse. You pretty much have to buy 100 of the things though.

To sterilise them i just pop them in the microwave for a couple of minutes.

Thanks folks. Responses all very much appreciated.
I'll probably start with the local supplier at Southern Cross but if I find I'm banging my head against a brick wall I'll shift to one of the more reliable suppliers.

goatherder,
A very kind offer but I'm looking to progressively shift the entire yeast collection to small vials so I'll probably have no trouble justifying 50 or so. Your generosity is much appreciated none-the-less.

If anyone in Adelaide is interested I could purchase some additional vials. PM me if you're interested and we'll see if we can sort out something practical. There are some discounts for large orders but nothing that would seem to justify a major bulk buy at the moment.

Cheers.

Voosher,
Im keen for 50, the above mentioned sound ok if nothing local is better. Aim scientific in Prospect have lab supplies aswell
Cheers
Gregg

Southern Cross Scientific at Panorama have always been helpful to me. I have purchased test tubes, flasks and stir bars from them in the past. I just phoned in the orders and then picked them up. I bought extra stuff whilst in their office and they were fine with that.

I once bought a box of 500 test tubes for yeast dividing but managed to sell a heap of them on this forum at cost price. Check out the details here

There is a place in Adelaide called Southern Cross Scientific that sell them. I tried to get some from them but they never called me back. I am guessing they don't really like dealing with people buying one box, which is fair enough.

You could see if you have better luck with them.
I just bought a box of vials from them last month.
Did take a couple of phone calls to sort it out but just had to direct debit to their account and the vials were on their way.
Cost me about $94 including transport to Tas.

Chris

hey guys i work in the plastics industry and could probably get from one of my customers a box of PET preforms the same as the ones that whitelabs use.
Ill give a few people a call and see what i can organise.

We usually have heaps of samples round the work shop, and for caps i spose you could just use the coopers caps for the pet bottles.

hey guys i work in the plastics industry and could probably get from one of my customers a box of PET preforms the same as the ones that whitelabs use.
Ill give a few people a call and see what i can organise.

We usually have heaps of samples round the work shop, and for caps i spose you could just use the coopers caps for the pet bottles.

Nice one - the white labs containers are a great size, only problem is they don't stand up straight but the tradeoff is that they are virtually unbreakable and with pure thick slurry poured into them hold a very good cell count. Probably dead cheap to use PET blanks too.

If you are planning on autoclaving or some other kind of heat sterilisation then PET won't be any good. Go for polypropylene (recycle 5) if you can.

I've got some further information which I will post in "Bulk Buys".
I'll throw it open to gauge wider interest.

I can just see me swimming in vials and caps a la ausdb :blink:

If you are planning on autoclaving or some other kind of heat sterilisation then PET won't be any good. Go for polypropylene (recycle 5) if you can.

Hmmm too late, had to spend 20 minutes scrapping molten plastic out of the pressure cooker. I went the polystyrene option.
Any one want to buy about 480 non sterilizable vials???? Hope a strong ortho phos solution and giving the buggers a mild steaming will be good enough
Chris

Sorry to revive an old topic BUT....

Im looking to get hold of a small quantity of tubes for slants & after finding this thread wonder if any of you guys have surplus that never got used that you want to offload?

Latest posts

Back