XXXX Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave70 said:
All I can say is I'm looking foward grabbing a six pack so I can make a yeast starter.
It's probably pasteurised though dave...

“The craft beer market in Australia is starting to really take off and consumers are expecting some diverse flavours… I think that’s what we’re trying to offer with XXXX Gold Australian Pale Ale,” he said.

LOL it would seem that bullshit tap deals aren't working the way they would like anymore. Market is shifting and has been for some time and they have only just noticed? Wow

Created in response to the rise in popularity of the pale ale style, the easy-to-drink Tooheys Darling Pale Ale has been crafted with a non-challenging flavour to make it accessible to new pale ale drinkers.
We wouldn't want anyone to be challenged by a different flavour would we? Anyway, its much easier to just change the label and keep the contents the same.

“I don’t think we’ll ever see massive beers [such as] double hopped IPAs come out of XXXX, but you never know.”
hahahahahahaha

Castlemaine Perkins have actually branched out a few times and produced some interesting beers, for example XXX about ten years ago was a pretty nice drop, about the same time as the VB original ale. Then there was a strong beer that came out for Expo in the late 1980s at around 5.5% ABV.
It's a pity however that this latest offering wasn't a full strength, might have been similar to the late lamented XXXX Draught that I used to really enjoy in the Winter.

XXXX Draught - Queensland only - was a darker less carbonated 4.5% beer with a nice round malty flavour, almost an amber and despite the name was can or bottle only. They got rid of it at the same time as Carbine Stout then promptly stole its red colour scheme and applied that to the XXXX Bitter range, replacing the black colour scheme that had proven unpopular.

xxx.jpg

xxxx draught.jpg

I have tried the new beer.

Despite being a craft beer lover, I actually love XXXX Gold when having a few with mates...i also have kids and hate hangovers!

The new APA is pretty similar with some fruitiness and aroma not too dissimilar to 150 Lashes...but not enough for me to want to switch.

I didn't mind it.

Personally I rate it higher than coopers opa, and its cheaper.

For $14.50 a six pack from the bws down the road I recon it might become my new lawnmower.

I actually participated in their market research they did for this beer, they paid me to drink it and give opinions.

Before I discovered craft beers, (took me a while) XXXX gold was a regular favourite. This Pale ale wasn't too dissimilar to gold just pimped up a little like what we might to do to a can of goo. I would drink it over gold but only if I had no other options other than the megaswill offerings.

I too would like a beer to mow my grass.

Rocker1986 said:
That's a pretty kickarse beer if it can also mow lawns.

Sippa said:
I too would like a beer to mow my grass.
Maybe if you pour it on your grass, the grass dies and you don't need a lawnmower. :ph34r:

I tried this today and sad to say i actually would prefer to drink the gold! At least you can't taste anything when you drink that. I found it lacked any aroma or flavour from the amarillo, and had a dirty earthy taste to it. It was in the bottle so id want to try it on tap before passing any further judgement but its a no goer for me at this stage

Anyone else think Amarillo is a strange choice for XXXX ?
It's American, not cheap & not in huge abundance.
Surely they could've got similar results using an Australian hop like Galaxy, Summer, Vic Secret, Ella, Topaz.

I doubt I'll ever try it anyway !

Its probably the biggest drawback, really doesn't suit the beer at all, not that there is much there.

I'm drinking one right now. Bought a 6pack for $14. Not too bad. Better than most other beers on the market for the same price. It's even a little bit cloudy. Is it a 'good' beer? No. I have had a lot worse. Has more flavour IMHO than Coopers mild for roughly the same price.

I tried this beer yesterday and you know what? It is perfectly acceptable and far better than I expected. Perfectly balanced, clean malt and a good hop flavour.
No head retention, but hell, whatever.
If this is the future of mega swill bring it on.

I don't see it converting any craft beer drinkers but if they get it on tap at Suncorp Stadium it's better than any of their current offerings.

Samuel Adams said:
Anyone else think Amarillo is a strange choice for XXXX ?
It's American, not cheap & not in huge abundance.
Surely they could've got similar results using an Australian hop like Galaxy, Summer, Vic Secret, Ella, Topaz.

I doubt I'll ever try it anyway !
I agree... but hey, they'll buy heaps and heaps of Amarillo, depleting the wholesalers of their stocks and then this will force their craft competitors to either pay through the nose for it or use a different hop!

I really like the james squire constable for my preferred mid strength but its a bit pricey.I tried the tooheys Darling ale and found it bland but better than the crown ale, I will probably try some XXXX ale on the weekend. I don't mind mega swill to be honest and a little extra flavour might do the trick with the XXXX.

Parks said:
I don't see it converting any craft beer drinkers but if they get it on tap at Suncorp Stadium it's better than any of their current offerings.
I would need to confirm. but as far as I know the only bar available to the public with this is in the north-western corner on level 3. And it would be served bottled there, as that particular bar also has other full strength and premium packaged beer. Every other public bar (quick beers bars) is XXXX Gold and 3.5 Super Dry. I couldn't see it ending up on tap other than the members bars, which at one stage actually tried the Constable. AFAIK, it is no lonmger going.

Dave70 said:
All I can say is I'm looking foward grabbing a six pack so I can make a yeast starter.

Engibeer said:
It's probably pasteurised though dave...
I won't say it's not pasteurised, but I definitely saw a creamy yeast deposit in the bottom of the one bottle I tried.

Back