Wort oxygenation set up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
I too would be interested in knowing whether Danscraft has actually been burned by cheap crappy little throwaway bottles or whether he is talking out of his arse.
More than happy with the very high quality setup from Brewman that has already vastly improved my ferm times and yeast starts.
:lol: hehe. I've got 2 little throw away bottles free to a good home! They are not cheap!
One is Bromic. Try finding anything to fit that! Its a white canister I bought because it held more volume of o2.
The other is Tradeflame. Shopped everywhere local to get a variable release valve/ regulator whatever and never got one little piss of air out of it.
Now why would someone talk out their arse openly admitting failure. :lol: :chug:

Well you should have gone with a well constructed and high quality unit in the first place instead of reinventing the wheel.

Edit - failing to do so.

As for education, here's a good definition.

Education is benefiting from the hard earned expertise of other people as opposed to random anecdotes.

Brewman_ said:
Hi DigitalGiraffe,

I sent out a few yesterday, maybe you got one very similar to that one..
Don't worry about a flow meter. Once you get it and try it I think you'll find what you have is enough to do the job.

Follow this process.
Sanitise the stone and hose.
Rinse... Well I do
turn on the O2 you will hear it and see some bubbling on the stone.
Put the hose into the wort and push the stone to the bottom.
Then wind back the O2 until the bubbles just break the surface. (any more than that is waste and any less, well it just takes longer)
Then start your timer, I use 90 seconds.

Sounds simple, and really it is.

Cheers Steve
One important tip i would add to this is to turn the o2 flow on before immersing in any liquid, sanitiser included. It's much harder to block the micron sized pores if there is gas coming out of them.

The other tip is to never touch the stone with your hands, again due to the risk of clogging the pores with the oils on your skin. It's very easy to block the pores, almost impossible to unblock them although piranha solution (conc sulfuric acid, conc hydrogen peroxide) works if you're game.

Apart from that, i have the MHB kit, same as Brewmans and it works a treat. Great price.

Danscraftbeer said:
Brewman: I didn't mean to come across as bagging anyone else's set up. Only my own experience. I DIY so jumped in trying to make a set up with the small bottles. Chased my tail looking for working parts etc. The only regulator I could find was junk. My fail. Just wasted time and money.
Your set up sounds good but my HBS's don't have them. If they did I would have got one.
Just posting another option on the topic that I learned from a more experienced brewer than myself that you can set up any day of the week and will last, who knows how long its going to last, maybe the rest of my life.
Cheers.
Hi Danscraftbeer,

I like that you posted another option. I really have no problem with that bit of your post. I said my bit on the rest.

When you get serious about brewing most of what you need will not be at the LHBS, but always a good place to start though. Unless your lucky enough to have a store that is serious about AG... and some are.

All good.

Cheers Steve

Hey Dan

I must admit I was judgemental about your re inventing the wheel, and you did in fact do so, at a cost of course, but my gripe was because you dissed the other alternatives. No offence meant.
On reflection you came up with a system that suits you and good on you. I've also spent hard-earned on projects that were money pits and abandoned them.

Now off to re invent the Williamswarn, got a few tens of thousands in my kick ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've got myself an O2 bottle and am about to order a valve but I needed some advice about the stone. I have a 2 micron stone. Is this suitable for O2 injection or should I buy a 0.5 micron one. I read above that people use either one so not sure what to do. Please help.

Latest posts

Back