Wort oxygenation set up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2much2spend

Reaction score
Hello all I just upgraded to a conical now I'm looking at oxygenating my brews just to get that beer that bit better so does anyone here oxygenate? And what setups can anyone recommend?
I've seen a few from more beer (oxywand) and they seem good but I would like to pick some ideas from people heads.

Do you want inline oxygenation as you run off to the fermenter, or do you want an oxygen wand of some sort?

Well I was looking at the inline setup it looks good, the wand seems simple .
I'm open to ideas. Do you have a preference?

I have a wand. I was thinking about the new purchase you mentioned and inline seemed logical. If I were oxygenating 50+ litres of wort at a time I would take a serious look at inline. There's nothing difficult about using a wand whatsoever. From my perspective it's mostly a volume thing. I would also guess - pure speculation - that inline would give better retention than using a wand.

I have a stainless steel airstone from an O2 bottle method to a yeast starter. Just a touch to froth it up a bit and then stir plate.
Then I keg ferment. I charge the seeled keg with the pitched yeast with 5psi O2.
Then Rock and Roll and shake that fucker for at least 2 minutes. Make it 5 minutes if you need the exercise.
Set the pressure to release at 5 to 15 psi. No need to be fussy.

Danscraftbeer said:
I have a stainless steel airstone from an O2 bottle method to a yeast starter. Just a touch to froth it up a bit and then stir plate.
Then I keg ferment. I charge the seeled keg with the pitched yeast with 5psi O2.
Then Rock and Roll and shake that fucker for at least 2 minutes. Make it 5 minutes if you need the exercise.
If you use a yeast starter and then use oxygen what quantity of yeast is created when the yeast has oxygen it can keep on multipying.

Danscraftbeer said:
. Do you have a pic of your kegermenter?

Mardoo said:
I have a wand. I was thinking about the new purchase you mentioned and inline seemed logical. If I were oxygenating 50+ litres of wort at a time I would take a serious look at inline. There's nothing difficult about using a wand whatsoever. From my perspective it's mostly a volume thing. I would also guess - pure speculation - that inline would give better retention than using a wand.
. I also seen some of the USA stores have the ss air stone attached to a triclover for the inline method. I like that setup easy to pull apart and clean.

danestead said:
Yes, lots of people use oxygen. I have a setup pretty much the same as the one linked below. You will find most people that use pure oxygen use a setup like that. Some people use 0.5 micron air stone, others use 2 micron. Some use a flow meter on the bottle, some don't. Up to you.

http://www.brewmart.com.au/brewmart-shop/catalogue/?detail&ItemID=3270&SZIDX=0&CCODE=17530&QOH=11&keywords=oxygen

I just purchased one similar to this and was wondering due to the basic nature of the regulator (no pressure gauge) would a flow meter be accurate if installed?

DigitalGiraffe said:
I just purchased one similar to this and was wondering due to the basic nature of the regulator (no pressure gauge) would a flow meter be accurate if installed?
I can't really help you out there mate, as I don't have a gauge on mine, sorry.

DigitalGiraffe said:
Hi DigitalGiraffe,

I sent out a few yesterday, maybe you got one very similar to that one..
Don't worry about a flow meter. Once you get it and try it I think you'll find what you have is enough to do the job.

Follow this process.
Sanitise the stone and hose.
Rinse... Well I do
turn on the O2 you will hear it and see some bubbling on the stone.
Put the hose into the wort and push the stone to the bottom.
Then wind back the O2 until the bubbles just break the surface. (any more than that is waste and any less, well it just takes longer)
Then start your timer, I use 90 seconds.

Sounds simple, and really it is.

Cheers Steve

Think I posted this on another thread. Its around $400 to set up but that's for long time. In a bottle like this its $200 for the down payment on the bottle.
+$70 full of gas to swap over each time for $70, which is unknown for me it might be years worth of o2. Its something like 40 times as much o2 for your dollar compared to those little throw away bottles. (someone do the maths)
Greater thing is you can give up brewing and take the bottle back and get your $200 down payment back. (heyeah right like that's gonna happen).

Just note those little throw away bottles may run out quick and, then spend more and those teeny regulators are crappy and hard to get and fittings for.
This set up: Bottle from your local big hardware store. Regulator from a reputable tool shop.

This I feel is the practical level any continuing brewer will end up with after being burnt on those little bottle set ups. I may be wrong.

Danscraftbeer said:
Think I posted this on another thread. Its around $400 to set up but that's for long time. In a bottle like this its $200 for the down payment on the bottle.
+$70 full of gas to swap over each time for $70, which is unknown for me it might be years worth of o2. Its something like 40 times as much o2 for your dollar compared to those little throw away bottles. (someone do the maths)
Greater thing is you can give up brewing and take the bottle back and get your $200 down payment back. (heyeah right like that's gonna happen).

Just note those little throw away bottles may run out quick and, then spend more and those teeny regulators are crappy and hard to get and fittings for.
This set up: Bottle from your local big hardware store. Regulator from a reputable tool shop.

This I feel is the practical level any continuing brewer will end up with after being burnt on those little bottle set ups. I may be wrong.
Hey Danny,

Where did you get the bottle from? Is it a D size bottle? Bunnings do trade and go for $69.. and they supply the bottle for $200..

https://www.bunnings.com.au/coregas-trade-n-go-size-d-oxygen-gas_p5910224

Danscraftbeer said:

Yeah, well, umm lots of generalisations there mate.

Let me refrain from bagging your kit, mainly because I have not seen it first hand, and well I just don't bag things I don't know about.

It hasn't stopped you from bagging anything that is not your kit. Now if you have seen and used my kit and want to comment, then fair enough, go for it, happy to hear what you think of it.

If you care to research my kit, and I can't talk about any other retailer kit, you will find the little regulator is not crap. It is sourced from a reputable Australian supplier and is used by trades people, they supply medical industries and the professional brewing industry. And the regulator has been widely used for many years.

And the little O2 bottles may run out quick. I guess they may not.. Right?... Yep, mine sure has, been using it for 2 years now, must have been due to run out years ago. Again the bottle is used widely in industry, us home brewers are not what they are made for so they will be around as replacement when they do run out.

I use the stuff I sell, and none of it is crap. None of it is cheap lowest cost, it is about a product that is fit for the purpose, of good quality, and at a reasonable price to allow home brewers to get into better brewing techniques / practices.

MHB put the kit together years ago and it has not changed because it is good quality. In fact the price has not changed either, despite the exchange rate with the US dollar changing considerably, and unfavourably. The components to the kit have gone up a lot. I have kept the price the same so brewers can get into it and make better beer..

Cheers Steve.

Grainer: Yep that's the bunning one. Masters have one too. I got the regulator from Total Tools. Other tool shops will have them.

Brewman: I didn't mean to come across as bagging anyone else's set up. Only my own experience. I DIY so jumped in trying to make a set up with the small bottles. Chased my tail looking for working parts etc. The only regulator I could find was junk. My fail. Just wasted time and money.
Your set up sounds good but my HBS's don't have them. If they did I would have got one.
Just posting another option on the topic that I learned from a more experienced brewer than myself that you can set up any day of the week and will last, who knows how long its going to last, maybe the rest of my life.
Cheers.

I have the other and I'd prefer your setup Danny ! more cost effective !

I too would be interested in knowing whether Danscraft has actually been burned by cheap crappy little throwaway bottles or whether he is talking out of his arse.
More than happy with the very high quality setup from Brewman that has already vastly improved my ferm times and yeast starts.

Tks for the other O2 options. Not necessarily talking out of your arse... But giving others more options ,

That's what these forums are about.... Education .... Not advertising.... Gives educated folk some more education ...:)

Latest posts

Back