Worst Comerical Beer You Had

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carlton draught goes alright and I find it anything but sweet to be honest.....

agree with mandrakar - a stella beer in Egypt was the worst ever. I believe they were in clear bottles and had lots of floaties. Vile vile taste. The markets sold t-shirts with the logo and "that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger". Second worst was a Korean beer, OB. Served at the International Beer Awards dinner in Melbourne a few years ago as it had won a big award. Unbelievable, it was virtually tasteless and watery.

Brizbrew said:
LCPA is without a doubt the worst beer I have paid money for.

I am not a big lover of hops at the best of times but this is over hopped to the point of me on the verge of throwing 5 bottles in the bin. :excl:

This is for me the most overhyped beer I have ever drunk. :unsure:
[post="92244"][/post]​

Really? I liked it better a few years ago when it was more hoppy. I feel they've really "dumbed it down" lately and find it much less hoppy than it used to be. But then I love beers from North America that are uber hoppy. Found them really unbalanced at first but within a couple of days of drinking them my palate adjusted and now less hoppy pale ales taste boring. To each their own.

- Mavstar (aluminium oxide)
- Anything Tooheys (let's hope Coopers keep the bastards out)
- Budweiser - "The king of shit".
- Oh, did I mention Tooheys (people that like Tooheys's tend to describe it as "not a bad drop" - I think it tastes more like wine than beer???)

mistylane said:
- Mavstar (aluminium oxide)
- Anything Tooheys (let's hope Coopers keep the bastards out)
- Budweiser - "The king of shit".
- Oh, did I mention Tooheys (people that like Tooheys's tend to describe it as "not a bad drop" - I think it tastes more like wine than beer???)
[post="93688"][/post]​

I'm quite partial to a tooheys old sometimes... the new leaves something to be desired

I had a few Cascade Pale Ales the other night. Its quite nice beer - I'm not saying that this is the worst commercial beer I have had. But even though, as far as commercial beers go, I was quite happy to drink this stuff, the hangover the next day was something else!!! What is it with commercial beer that gives you such a shocker of a hangover??? I probably only drank 6 or 7 of them. Just recently I had 11 home brews in one sitting and I got up the next day almost as if I had been drinking soft drink all night!

Anyway, back on topic...

My votes for worst commercial beer are (in order):

1. Tooheys Extra Dry (and/or Carlton Premium Dry)

2. Boags St George (How they call this premium I will never know)

3. Budweiser

4. VB

1. St. George (what a waste of good hops and malt)
2. XXXX (Brisbane river water is too good of a description)
3. VB
4. Top of the fermentor VB (aka Crown Lager) a lot of people are sucked in by this crap))

Most Carlton United Beers are off except for some of the beer brewed at there smaller breweries like matilda bay (redback, dogbolter). They all seem to taste very much similar in taste to me and that is rank. The worst is probably V.B.
Toohey extra dry is another I dont fancy. The only cold filtered beers I like are eizbock.

Worst I've ever had was Millers General Draught. I couldn't bring myself to even drink the entire stubbie, and this was back when I was 18 and would drink anything.

- VB. Don't mind the taste, but I get a headache within the first half stubby.
- Tooheys anything except Old. New doesn't even taste like beer to me.
- Castlemaine anything except Carbine Stout.

BUT the worst beer, bar none, that I have ever tasted was Powers Gold.

This topic intrigued me, but I will have to come back and read the 12 pages so far at a later time.

There is bad beer from all over the World, I assume, but spending the first 33 years of my life in the US, I can tell you that there are so many bad "beers" in America that would put Carlton, VB, etc., into the the mid-range. I can't drink VB at all, and will occasionally have Carlton on tap if I'm out with mates that don't have much of a pallette.

Worst beers I've tasted:
Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)
Milwaukees Best
Old Milwaukee
Gennesse (anything but their Cream Ale)
Strohs
Busch
Budweiser, Coors, Miller (The 3 Major US commercial beers)

I think I've just scratched the surface with the above list. The upside to these down beers (if there is any) is you can pick up a 6 pack of most of them up for less than $6 in the states and when the minimum wage hovers around $6/hour, you can understand why a massive market of el crapo beer exists.

A mate got me a bottle of Bud for my birthday as a joke in May. It's still in the fridge and I'll offer it to him the next time he comes over, providing it has not expired, hehe.

What I'm drinking now?
Hargreves Hill Pale Ale and Porter from the Yarra Valley in Victoria. Probably my favorite beer to drink on a regular basis. There's nothing like it. I'm not saying it's the best, but I am saying it is divine. I highly recommend it if you have not tried it yet. ( www.hargreaveshill.com.au ) You can even order a slab online to be delivered to you anywhere in VIC for $65, slightly more elsewhere in Australia.

Sorry for getting off topic, thinking of bad beer made me think of good beer.

Cheers!

Gday

Swan mid is the worst beer ever made.
My old boss used to give every one a carton of it for christmas every year and I think some of the boys have still got it in there frides after about 4 years, the new boss buys redback or corona he's a champion.

Cheers Aspro

which brings me to one of my least favourite beers... Corona!

This stuff is not even worthy of recognizing its existance on this forum. By brilliant marketing alone this stuff has become one of the biggest selling 'premium' beers.

Most beers fit in. VB is bad but at least it is cheap. corona is rubbish and can go for up to $75 a case!

Corona is not bad if you are sitting on a beach or by a pool drinking in the sun.
The watered down taste seems to help me not get a headache as quick as if I'm drinking a stronger flavoured beer.
Also can be a bit more refreshing in the blazing sun than a heavier beer

Wouldn't drink it in the pub or out at night though... serves no purpose then...

Rich

Outback Lager is pretty rank for a microbrewed beer
other than that I will always refuse to drink VB and others of its ilk.

Light weight belgian and german wheat beers are the best for hot days i reckon. weihenstephaners kristall and hefe especially :)

Warm Carlton Cold. Warm, in this case, meaning anything over 2degC.

Latest posts

Back