Worst Comerical Beer You Had

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to agree with Wally. New Zealands Leopard Export Pilsner that I tasted in the late eighties was the clear winner of bad beers.
Tasted as though it was brewed in a goatskin bag.
I shudder just thinking of it.

west end draught

2 glasses and 1 vomet (red death)
actually come to think of it any west end beer is $hit . dose anyone remember
EAGLE BLUE ?YUK
EAGLE SUPER ?YUK

others tried are
CARLTON ALL ?YUK
WEST END GOLD ? YUK
WEST END LIGHT ?YUK .
HAHN LIGHT ?YUK
TOOYES NEW ?YUK
XXXX BITTER ?YUK
SWANN GOLD ?YUK
EMU BITTER ?YUK
SOUTHWARK PREMIUM ?OK(2-3)
CARLTON BLACK ?OK(4-6)
TOOYES OLD ?OK(5-10)
MELBOURNE BITTER ?OK(2-3)
HAHN PREMIUM ?OK(5-6)

USUALLY IF I AM GOING TO BUY A COMMERCIAL BREW I WILL BUY AN UP MARKET ONE.
i dont realy go for yobbo beer anymore as i enjoy a beer rather than just drink to get pissed .
not being a snob when it comes to beer but i guess our taste buds just mature or get pickled . :blink:

delboy

MELBOURNE BITTER i hate it, my bro drinks it i'd rather go out an drink the dirty dogs water... :angry:

How crap do commercial beers taste after having a homebrew-seasoned tongue...

After I grew up in my teens sneaking a purchase of VB slabs and drinking that for years, I hadnt touched it in maybe 3 years or so.

Then, the other week it was the supplied beer at my brother's wedding reception. Didnt have an all-nighter, but had a fair dose of the staggers afterwards. Boy, during the night and the next day was I crook. The laundry trough had to have a fair cleanout

The week before I had nearly twice as much, but was the naturally brewd German good stuff at the Transport Bar at Fed Sqare for Oktoberfest...and woke up 7.30am the next day ready for work!!

I can only put it down to the chemicals and whatever other crap they put in commercial brews...

rodderz said:
I can only put it down to the chemicals and whatever other crap they put in commercial brews...

Headaches, nasty hangovers, etc...you are so right!

Ill drink about 14 beers at home and feel fine the next morning provided I get to bed early enough (in fact I do this almost every night), but a night on the town drinking whatever I find cheap on tap leaves me feeling like Ive been bashed in the head every time :(

PZ.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say despite being a complete beer snob and not thinking twice about coming out of a bottleshop with a six-pack costing as much as a cheap slab, I don't mind XXXX bitter, or Melbourne Bitter and Victoria Bitter brewed in Melbourne. Comments about bad hangovers from the above are on the money though.

As for the worst commercial beers, I would say the West End beers would take the cake. VB brewed in the old Powers brewery in Qld is pretty bad. Worst would just have to be beer served in crap conditions in crap pubs.

Shite yeah I agree drinking commercial stuff you feel like you have been run over by a truck the next mornign.

LCPA is without a doubt the worst beer I have paid money for.

I am not a big lover of hops at the best of times but this is over hopped to the point of me on the verge of throwing 5 bottles in the bin. :excl:

This is for me the most overhyped beer I have ever drunk. :unsure:

I didnt mind that Kokanee Glacier Beer, best thing about Amsterdam mariner is the price, and the bottles.

Taste? Hmm you ever been to Amsterdam and seen the water??? Aparently in ye olde days of Amsterdam everyone had to drink beer, kids and all, for if you drank the water you would die of poisioning!

yeah but i still buy it and drink it, tastes better than VB or pooheys, liquorland man screwed his nose up at me when i said so!

Brizbrew said:
LCPA is without a doubt the worst beer I have paid money for.

I am not a big lover of hops at the best of times but this is over hopped to the point of me on the verge of throwing 5 bottles in the bin. :excl:

This is for me the most overhyped beer I have ever drunk. :unsure:
[post="92244"][/post]​
While I respect your right to your opinion, I doubt you'll find many on here who will agree with you, especially on tap. The bottles version can have a bitterness that sticks at the back of your throat.

Try it on a hot summers day from the bright tanks at the brewery, and I reckon you might just change your mind.

that's funny, (not "haha, i mean "hmmm")
i see LCPA almost as - essence of beer
beer x 1000
it's based on classic USA style overkill, don't get me wrong
let's just eat the skin, not the chicken
on the other hand, and i mean no offense, i wonder if people drinking tasteless swishy commercial lager actually don't like the taste of malt and hops. they seem to prefer low hopped light body tasteless beers
"give me the least beer tasting beer you have, oh a Premium! :)"
yet the subtleties are maybe more pronounced in a lager and it's like a pinot vs shiraz
maybe i'm learning to appreciate subtle, like i appreciate Pink Floyd as well as Queens of the Stoneage

just my thoughts

tangent said:
that's funny, (not "haha, i mean "hmmm")
i see LCPA almost as - essence of beer
beer x 1000
it's based on classic USA style overkill, don't get me wrong
let's just eat the skin, not the chicken
on the other hand, and i mean no offense, i wonder if people drinking tasteless swishy commercial lager actually don't like the taste of malt and hops. they seem to prefer low hopped light body tasteless beers
"give me the least beer tasting beer you have, oh a Premium! :)"
yet the subtleties are maybe more pronounced in a lager and it's like a pinot vs shiraz
maybe i'm learning to appreciate subtle, like i appreciate Pink Floyd as well as Queens of the Stoneage

just my thoughts
[post="92249"][/post]​

Good point, there are plenty of people I know who taste a beer (usually a stout) and comment that it's really "beerey"...lol

The taste of a good beer is what it makes it the style in wich it is!

Egyptian Stella (NOT Artois!), preserved with Formaldehyde would have to be the worst beer I have been subjected to.

Japanese Kirin wasn't much better.

well from the comments it seems that "west end shaught"get it in the end but why do so many people drink it .
maybe there just yoobos who dont know any better.

all commercial beers give me a head ache and a hangover that is just unbearable and more than one occasion it tokk me more than two days to fell better.

coopers on the other hand well i feel seedy the nextday after a big session but usually ok buy the afternoon .
must be because it is natural than the the other crap .but this is why i drink home brew (I WOULD RATHER CALL IT CRAFTBREWED)as home brew has a stigma attached to it .but craft brewed beers are the best.

delboy :chug:

A while back i had a beez neez from the bottle and it was foul, even though it wasnt too warm i just couldn't stomach it. BUT, then i had it on tap and all was forgiven, it was quite nice.

Hate VB with a passion
Carlton draught is so so
New is good from the tap though

carlton draught is terrible on tap. it comes out so sickly sweet.

Worst beer I've ever had was from another HB'er
He makes his using HB shop bitter, and a kilo of mixed raw & white sugar, brewed at around 30*C, but he likes it :blink:

Latest posts

Back