Witt Or Not?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizarre

Reaction score
Oh great and mighty beer gods - hehe - just wanted a few opinions on my latest concoction! I wanted to do a Witt style using extract and grains - mainly because I want to start doing AG batches - so this was a bit of an experiment to see what it was all about. I came up with this by looking at heaps of other recipes and running it thru Promash (which I am still coming to grips with).

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 24.00 Wort Size (L): 24.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.45
Anticipated OG: 1.051 Plato: 12.69
Anticipated SRM: 4.5
Anticipated IBU: 19.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
22.5 1.00 kg. TF Torrefied Wheat UK 72.48 2
4.5 0.20 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 77.43 3
38.2 1.70 kg. Muntons LME - Wheat England 80.07 3
22.5 1.00 kg. Muntons DME - Light England 99.55 5
1.1 0.05 kg. Honey 90.89 0
11.2 0.50 kg. Flaked Oats America 67.12 2

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
25.00 g. Hallertau Northern Brewer Pellet 8.50 14.8 30 min.
25.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 3.2 15 min.
25.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 2.0 5 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.70 Oz Corriander Seed Spice 15 Min.(boil)
1.00 Oz Bitter Orange Peel Spice 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3944 Belgian White Beer

Notes
-----

1) Heat wheat, palemalt and oats to 65 C and hold temp for 60 minutes.

2) Raise temp to 75 and hold for 10 minutes.

3) Rinse (sparge) the grains

4) Remove the grains, add the dry malt extract, add the honey and
gently boil for 15 minutes.

5) Add the Hallertau - boil for 15 minutes.

6) Add Saaz lot 1, the orange peel and corriander - boil for 10 minut
es.

7) Add Saaz lot 2 and boil for 5 minutes.

8) Cool "wort" for
30 minutes

9) Empty LME can into fermenter and dissolve with a kettle f
ull of boiling water.

10) Strain the cooled "wort" into the fermenter an
d top up to 24L.

11) Ferment at 20C

This was how it was meant to go but I had the bank manager coming over to go through some paper work, so I was flapping about getting this done and made a couple of mistakes! <_<

1) I added to much oats - umm 500g (too much on my mind) instead of 50g - and only realised 20 minutes in! :unsure:

2) My mashout was only meant to be 10 minutes - it ended up being 40 cause I was tied up with paperwork!

Console me or ridicule me - have I made pig swill or might it just be drinkable?

I am in your hands :D

Bizarre, don't sweat it ! 500g might be a lot of oats, but you can't do much about it now. Your brew will be okay, just have to wait until after you bottled it to find out :D the extra mashout won't do anything, I've done this myself. I doubt very much that it will be pigswill, but if you don't like it send it down to me.....oink

All will be fine, Bizarre. Not really a problem about the oats, I've seen wit recipes with nearly that much oats in anyway. The long mashout is really no problem either.

One thing about your method, though. You don't want to boil gently, a good rolling boil is best for a variety of reasons. Also, you can probably do away with the honey, but if you want any flavour or aroma out of it, adding it just before flame out is probably the way to go. Not really a problem anyway.

Good on you for going for a difficult style. I reckon if you can get that recipe together, your promash skills are fine. Time to leap into AG and become a god yourself. ;)

Stuster said:
All will be fine, Bizarre. Not really a problem about the oats, I've seen wit recipes with nearly that much oats in anyway. The long mashout is really no problem either.

One thing about your method, though. You don't want to boil gently, a good rolling boil is best for a variety of reasons. Also, you can probably do away with the honey, but if you want any flavour or aroma out of it, adding it just before flame out is probably the way to go. Not really a problem anyway.

Good on you for going for a difficult style. I reckon if you can get that recipe together, your promash skills are fine. Time to leap into AG and become a god yourself. ;)
[post="123839"][/post]​

Thanks guys for the re-assurance! With regard to the boiling Stu - umm - I had to boil gently cause my pot was pretty full - cause I umm - put in too much stuff! :D

Edited cause I cnat spell priperly :blink:

did you actaully get that expected OG of 1.051?
Thats a lot of oats and torrified wheat with only .2 kg of pale malt.
let us know if it actually converted or not or if you ended up with glue.

Alcohol fueled brewtality.
Jayse

jayse said:

Jayse
[post="124009"][/post]​

Didnt seem to be gluey to me Jayse, as I say it was a bit of an experiment to see what results. I actually ended up with an SG of 1.048 - so it was a little off but not too far away hopefully. I knew I needed the pale malt for the conversion - but I was a little unsure of how much. I have to say the batch smelt v. good when I was adding it all to the fermenter.

I wish there was a brewing equivalent of a microwave cause I'm getting curious to see what it's gonna turn out like. When its done I'll let u all know. Or if it kills me, I'll tell the missus to stick a post on here hehe :D

Oh yeah - a tip for anyone thinking bout trying something like this - do it when u have minimum distractions and plenty time! :lol:

jayse said:

Jayse
[post="124009"][/post]​

Hey Jayse - sorry mate my last post was wrong - I was thinking of the previous batch. I only actually achieved about 1.045 (on checking my hand written scribblings again) I was told by a "friend" that I'd only need a couple of hundred grams or so of pale malt to give the necessary enzymes for the kilo of t/f wheat - next time I might try a bit more (I'm thinking maybe half the weight of the wheat might be a better way to go).

That said it definately wasnt gluey when I transfered it to the fermenter, or even the other night when I racked it. It had a nice light colour and also tasted fairly close to what I'd imagine flat hoegarden would taste like (mild citrusy aftertaste and the corriander wasnt that strong really).

I'm hoping (and it seems to be going that way - lucky 4 me :) ), that it is going to turn out to be an ok drop. Obviously next time I try it - I will pay attention to my own guidlines a bit more thoroughly! :D

Just a little update for those who may be interested (for those who arent - please accept my humble apologies and ignore this :) ). This stuff has now been in the bottle a little over a week and being impatient I had to try one to see whats it tastes like, and it actually it tastes very nice (much to my surprise considering the stuff ups I made during brewing!). The orange is a little prominant but I'm pretty certain this will mellow even more over the next few weeks or so.

Hehe - just glad I didnt make pig swill after all - and if this lot is ok - doing it properly should make it even nicer next time.

Cheers all

:beer:

Latest posts

Back