Winter = soups & stews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love recipes that call for half a bottle of cleanskin red. You know what happens to the other half.

You mix it up with some polyester resin, some felt, some tabouli and some orange plastic and make a piece of contemporary art?

Expose wanker wine snob guests by asking them to perform a blind tasting and pick the expensive wine but you trick them by filling both glasses with the cleanskin wine and when they pick one after swirling it about in the glass, sniffing at it and making repulsive gurgling noises you go ha! Gotcha!
?

I've done exactly that to SWMBO's North Shore rellies who sneered at anything less than $15 a bottle. They can now be seen at Dans hunting around in the bin ends :p :lol: :p

Smoked ham hock soup.

Simmer 2 hocks for around 3hrs with bay leaves, thyme sprigs and peppercorns.

Remove the hocks from the stock to cool and transfer the stock to a bowl to skim off the fats.

Sweat 4 carrots, 4 celery stalks and 2 onions with 2 cloves garlic and mixed herbs.

Add lentils, pearl barley and split peas.

Add the stock back in along with the stripped meat from the hocks.

Simmer until thickened and the barley etc, is cooked.

Season with salt and pepper. I use beech smoked salt.

Harry knows there's something tasty up there, even if he can't see it.

20140720_151317.jpg

1405836316986.jpg

:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Keep the skimmed lard in a small bowl and use for cooking. Good lard has an excellent ratio of Omega fatty acids compared to industrially processed seed oils. Young Harry will live to be 100 and, as our brains require good saturated fats to grow and operate, he'll probably nail Hydrogen Fusion as well . :)

Ox tail and cheek stew is my favourite.

Keep it simple:

• Meats
  • Mushrooms - use a few types (incl fresh shitake if available)
  • Onion, garlic celery, carrot, etc...the usual stuff. Pearl barley too if you like (helps to thicken it up, plus corn flour)
  • Campbells condensed tomato soup tin
  • Couple of tablespoons of liquid smoke (from my jerky making supplies)
  • Sherry, port, red wine, if you like. S&P.
Cook until the tail meat is almost falling off the bone.

For those who find the ox tails too fatty, of course trim them very well, and consider boiling separately first to remove some fat.

Bribie G said:
:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Keep the skimmed lard in a small bowl and use for cooking. Good lard has an excellent ratio of Omega fatty acids compared to industrially processed seed oils. Young Harry will live to be 100 and, as our brains require good saturated fats to grow and operate, he'll probably nail Hydrogen Fusion as well . :)
He's all over the wooden board puzzles, so Hydrogen fuel cell technologies is obviously the next step.

Good tip there, G.

I made corn bread yesterday. The hock fat in place of the butter would be a cracker.

Made a big pot of Borscht over the weekend using the stock boiled up from lamb roast leftovers. Next time, fried bacon bits for sure.

Delicious. Hearty. Peasanty..

5476borsch.jpg

*serving suggestion*

My new winter treat is garlic and homemade sauerkraut sandwiches. Would go great with borscht! Anything really...

Latest posts

Back