Winter = soups & stews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never worked for Coles Group or known anyone personally who has done so, but I get the impression they differ a bit from Woolies and have a strict "no return to central warehouse" policy at their stores, including Target. If they need to get rid of something they are able to mark it down ridiculously in their local stores.

I first noticed this when I lived on Bribie Island where they opened a Target. It was initially unclear what stock they should carry for this new demographic and after a couple of months the mark downs on many lines were amazing, I got shoes for $2 etc.

I didn't shop at Coles for about 15 years, but on moving to Old Bar I now shop at our BILO (same thing) and they do big clear outs of meat a couple of times a week, first marking down to 20% off then 40% off, then half price and even down to the likes of $2 for trays of mince etc. I regularly cull the meat section and stock up the freezer. They often clear out slow moving lines like the 5L bottles of Extra Virgin Olive oil for ten bucks that's still keeping me going after a year.

If you are near a Coles it's usually a good ploy to find out when they mark down (often Monday Morning). If you see a meat manager with a clipboard and a trolley, shadow him / her like a vulture B)

ed: another thing they do is to sell trays of beef, lamb or pork offcuts which are basically just cubed meat that's ideal for stews, casseroles and curries. These 'scraps' usually go out at around $7 a kilo, half the price of their 'official' diced meats. Usually found in the same section as soup bones and chicken necks. This is an intermittent thing, depending on what's been happening at their central butchery departments, so need to check often.

We have 3 Coles in town, one is a Bi-Lo ( which ironically was dearer ) and a Woolies. Both Coles & Woolies are in the main big shopping center..

But its the smaller Coles store in a fairly small mall, ( consisting of a Bakery, Butcher, cafe, Newsagent, Chemist ) that is the most popular. The large Coles in the shopping center is almost deserted, but the one in the mall is going gangbusters, mostly because it has easy parking, all on flat ground, no stairs,ramps etc.

They do regular clearouts of things like baked items, meats, salads etc...I buy pre-packed salads for lunch and often pick them up for $1-2 off...makes for a cheap lunch.

I bought a Lotto ticket from the newsagent in that small mall, didn't win anything.

I will have a chat to the newsagent and see if I can get you a refund

Ducatiboy stu said:
Roo mince at Coles for $8.99kg. Thats pretty reasonable.

Might start buying it. They also had Roo fillets
Was $7kg on special last week Stu, missus stocked up :)

Ha, that's hilarious, I replied on the previous page before reading the last few. Yes Coles seems more basic and cheaper. Again though like all supers, their mince is tasteless compared to home grown, but nothing spices wouldn't fix for the common man :)

Fry up some diced bacon, garlic and thyme. Let the mix cool, knead through your roo mince, ball and flatten into patties. Season and cook for delicious roo burgers. Serve in a soft bun with lettuce, tomato and either chilli/tomato relish with smoked paprika or cucumber, lemon, mint, garlic yoghurt.

image.jpg

Finally ended up making the rabbit goulash, went down a treat. Still prefer beef for convenience and cost.

Served with garlic mash and fresh sourdough. Washed down with something that was on tap.

Back into winter food :)

Did a standard pumpkin soup this arvo.....Kids have nearly licked the enamel of the soup bowls its that good

3/4 med Jap/Kent pumpkin

2 large brown onions
400-500gm diced bacon ( cut of rasher, not that crap from the deli )

500-600ml Sour cream

Cracked pepper - very important
Salt

I saute the onions and bacon together for about 30 mins on low

Then add to the pumpkin

Add the sour cream and mix it up with a big spoon. I dont over do it as I like a few chunks in there, just enough to mix everything up

Add pepper and salt at the end

I forgot about this thread....thanks, Stu.

I'm planning to do a beef cheek stew thingo with star anise and orange zest this week sometime, maybe with corn bread on the side.

Also, I had an idea of using corn bread mixture, blind baked, in individual pie tins. Then fill with a recipe such as the above, top with a bit more corn bread, seal, and cook until golden and crunchy. I don't see why that wouldn't work ?

Danwood said:
top with a bit more corn bread, seal, and cook until golden and crunchy.
Mmmm, cornbread and seal pie !

Dugong is better.

Talking about things aquatic, Aldi have had a fairly short run of frozen Atlantic Cod 1kg packs for about $12 a kilo. I note from the pack that they actually do come from the North Atlantic fishing area 27 so I grabbed three packs.

I'm planning a Danish / Icelandic cod and potato casserole cooked in home made fish stock that I rendered down out of some heads and frames from the fish CO-OP with fried leeks, ghee, etc. Will post if it turns out ok.

Danwood said:
.....Also, I had an idea of using corn bread mixture, blind baked, in individual pie tins. Then fill with a recipe such as the above, top with a bit more corn bread, seal, and cook until golden and crunchy. I don't see why that wouldn't work ?
Success !

The filling was along the lines of this Maggie Beer beef cheek recipe.

http://www.maggiebeer.com.au/recipes/slow-braised-beef-cheeks-in-barossa-shiraz

I'll give this a run with a smokey pulled pork filling next time. It's a great way to use up left over stews.

image.jpg

All of you should be ashamed of yourselves for making me hungry for good ol' heart-warming winter fare (though the young'uns think most of it is fart-warming). The first big batches of pea and ham soup, and curried pumpkin soup are finished and in large servings in the freezer. Next scheduled one is a guinness beef (although I use my own stout) and a bucket load of flatbreads.

Then a truckload of beef and burgundy pies (it's a real shame I don't know how to make the burgundy or shiraz myself). I don't bother with steak and kidney pies anymore because no-one else in the house eats them, and the same goes for sheep brains as well as lamb's fry. Dammit!

And then there's lots of curries etc. Gotta love winter.

PS. Camo, last year you talked about Ayam's malaysian curry. I don't know if it Ayam's I'm thinking of, but about 25 years ago I picked up a large sachet of a malaysian curry powder from a little deli in Towoomba and I've never ever been able to find it since. It wasn't particularly hot but it was the most glorious aroma (almost floral) and made the best curry I've ever had - damn I wish I could find it again.

Beef, Barley & Mushroom Soup

A happy accident. I've never been that big on Beef, Barley and Mushroom Soup, but had to crank out a meal for 12 on a day I had SFA time. This is what happened. Roasted the shit out of the beef and onions because I was distracted, thought what the **** and just boiled them. Magic. Even my 5 y.o. daughter who won't eat anything with "sauce" eats it. Everyone loves it, and it's so effin' simple that it started me on a whole new way of cooking simply. Total time involved in assembling this one is no more than an hour. You can whack it together with about 1/2 hour total time investment if you focus and don't dawdle. I'm into food with chunks in it, so give folks a fork and knife with this so they can cut the meat up. You can pull out the bones if you're serving it to nancy boys. ;) Or kids. And this freezes and reheats really well, so I always make a 10-12 litre batch, which this recipe does.

3 kg Asado cut beef - Get this from an Asian butcher. This isn't the Argentinian or Mexican Asado, but what looks like a crosscut beef rib tip, to my untrained eyes (see photos below). Dead cheap and tasty as. You can also use meaty short ribs, oxtail, or osso bucco in a pinch.
1 kg onions, sliced into thick circles
1 kg mushrooms, preferably swiss brown flats or portobello
500gr pearl barley
Salt and pepper to taste

IMG_6614.jpg

Cut the beef into large chunks by cutting down between the ribs.

IMG_6615.jpg

Slice the onion thickly and pave the bottom of an oiled roasting pan or two (unless you halve this it'll be two).

IMG_6616.jpg

Lay the beef chunks on top of the onions. Scatter salt over the beef.

IMG_6617.jpg

Roast at 180C for two hours, then bump up to 220C for 30 minutes. Ideally don't use fan forced as it dries out the onion too much. You want the onions to caramelize in the beef fat. Having some go black is a good thing, but not all of them. I usually just leave one pan on the top rack and the other on the bottom, so the top onions go mostly black and the bottom ones just caramelize. The photo is the bottom pan.

IMG_6618.jpg

Take the beef and onions out of the pan, leaving the fat behind. Bung it all into a big stockpot and cover well with water, about 10cm above the meat and onions. Add a tablespoon or so of salt.

IMG_6619.jpg

Bring stockpot to a boil and drop to a simmer. Drop the oven temp to 120C (and get it down there - just leave the oven door open if you have to). While the pot is coming to a boil, roll the mushroom tops in the fat and juices in the bottom of the pan until they've got a good glaze of fat. Leave any leftover fat and juice in the pan. Place mushrooms gill-side down in the pan.

IMG_6622.jpg

Slow roast for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the oven. (TIP: Almost all mushrooms - even the bog standard supermarket button mushrooms, although the improvement isn't as big as with other types - will show greatly increased depth of flavour if you cook them s-l-o-w-l-y over low heat, or roast them slowly.) Take the mushrooms out when they're soft and wrinkly and smell fantastic. Let them cool and cut them into chunks. I just use kitchen scissors.

IMG_6624.jpg

The stockpot needs to simmer for two hours while the mushrooms roast. Add the barley at the two-hour mark and let simmer in the soup for an hour. Adjust the amount of water if you need to. Add the cut-up mushrooms and all the pan juices an hour after you put the barley in. Simmer for another hour, so the total time simmering is about four hours. Serve it up.

IMG_6626.jpg

Total cooking time is about 6 hours, your time should be minimal. Don't fuss with this one and it'll be great. Vegetables just **** it up. I've tried a couple different things and parsley is as far as I'd go, but I don't really recommend it. Celery leaves can be nice too, but really, just leave it alone. I usually don't even add pepper. It's just simple, good food, and it goes great with beer.

I also make dead simple soup. But I find celery gives it that X factor, especially beef or lamb

And I also only use 3-4 ingreadients

Looks and sounds amazing.

Also Celery can stay in the garden, devil food.

Back