Winter = soups & stews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shaunous said:
Looks and sounds amazing.

Also Celery can stay in the garden, devil food.
I only buy it for soup and stew

Apart from that....its like tofu

I'm a celery lover. Celery gratin? Bring it on! But this is one of those things though that's like the down syndrome guy serving you at Macca's who always makes you feel a bit better. Simple, but there's something good goin' on there just as it is.

celery, turnips & swede are only good in soups & stew

Celery is not a salad item

Celery and peanut butter. Awesome.

Smoked hock and split-pea soup.

Schlenkerla Urbock and Fastenbier.

That's it.

I'm...*******....Done !!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Never used one. But my electric slow cooker gets a pisling.

Recently purchased a new large clay Moroccan tagine (tajine). After seasoning properly it is just fantastic to use and complements the smaller Portuguese glazed one as seen above.

Beef cheeks, vegetables and heaps of spices.
20170818_121317.jpg
20170818_121317.jpg 20170818_121251.jpg

I retrieved my long lost original series Kitchen Master 1970 crockpot that had been in a friend's storage for two years and currently rustling up an Angus blade steak casserole with the usual suspects on board for a 9 hour slooow cook.

crockpot.jpg

I've also got a tagine in storage, and an original Monier crockpot, the orange one but we couldn't locate it. They want $90 for them on E bay nowadays - not surprising, the modern slow cookers seem to be competing with each other to see who can bring out the biggest model - not everyone has a family with six kids and a grandma in tow and you need to run them pretty full or you get a scorch mark round the bowl.

Of course no casserole would be complete without the magic ingredient.

msg.jpg

What about the other secret mystery ingredient narcotics seemed to work in China customers kept coming back could have been the taste of just withdrawal symptoms.

I just took out a second mortgage and bought 1.8 kg of oxtail, can't believe how much oxtail has gone up in price over the last few years there must be big demand for it. In the slow cooker now with turnips swede carrots leeks and celery and 1/2 a packet of pearl barley, no room for the dumplings so they will be going in the steamer.

Leeks are not cheap seem to get smaller when cooked have to try and grow.

Aldi leeks are the best value, you get two trimmed leeks in a pack for about $3 as opposed to $3 each with all the unusable green foliage at Colesworth or IGA. Not the biggest, but usable.

Problem with leeks is that they take months and months to grow then you always get dirt problems in the leaves unless you dick around seriously with paper tubes etc. Then if you grow too many you end up with a glut then a famine afterwards. A good alternative is to grow giant elephant or Russian garlic which is actually a leek. I try to grow a year's supply that I dry out and hang up in November - one bulb can do you for a week as they are massive if you feed and water them. Combined judiciously with onions they sub nicely for leeks. Heaps of people grown them around here (Border Ranges).
Part of my current crop: got a bit whacked in the recent heat but back to winter weather now so they'll pick up.
giant russian.jpg

I usually grow around about 20 leeks always miss out on a few before the go to seed, yet there are plenty of dishes to be made from them, paid 75 cents each for mine at Woolies, will have to give the elephant garlic a try.

I just took out a second mortgage and bought 1.8 kg of oxtail, can't believe how much oxtail has gone up in price over the last few years there must be big demand for it. In the slow cooker now with turnips swede carrots leeks and celery and 1/2 a packet of pearl barley, no room for the dumplings so they will be going in the steamer.

Cheap cuts of meat are so dear now because they can charge the earth for them as all our prime cuts get exported. Coles and Woolies now sell chicken necks and scraggy bones for soup at rediculously prices. For f sake.

What's you dumpling recipe?

Cheap cuts of meat are so dear now because they can charge the earth for them as all our prime cuts get exported. Coles and Woolies now sell chicken necks and scraggy bones for soup at rediculously prices. For f sake.

What's you dumpling recipe?
Nothing special, I have a lot of coriander at the moment so it will be herb dumplings, Tandaco suet mix and equal amount of self raising flour. Cant make them how my mother does though, her dumplings lift the lid off the pot!

I'll try that ratio. My attempts at dumplings in the past have been woeful, they fluff up then collapse into little rubbery blobs that you could use as erasers.

When you say equal amounts do you mean cups or weight?

Latest posts

Back