Winter = soups & stews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
Made my first batch this year of curried sausages.

Potatoe
Carrot
Mixed frozen vegies
Onion
Sausages ( thin ones this time )
Curry
Salt.
Flour for thickening

Been simmering for about 3hrs

Is yummo

yes you right stu
it's about the right time for a batch of road kill as I call it.
everything goes in
bloody beautiful
ken

I have Pea & Ham, Osso Bucco, Beef broth & barley, Pumpkin, Leek & potatoe, Borscht......and whatever else I can invent planned this winter

Beef goulash, served inside a cob loaf in the middle of the table. Going to try a rabbit goulash this winter.

This always goes down a treat and is a great meal to bring the family together.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Made my first batch this year of curried sausages.

Potatoe
Carrot
Mixed frozen vegies
Onion
Sausages ( thin ones this time )
Curry
Salt.
Flour for thickening

Been simmering for about 3hrs

Is yummo
My old man would always ruin his by adding sultanas or sometimes sliced banana. Wasn't to my tastes. However I've found a little bit of diced apple goes down a treat.
I used to love the small cans of Ayam Malaysian curry powder but can't seem to find them even in IGA's nowadays. Anyone got a source?

I did a dry stout beef and mushroom stew with Parmesan cheese dumplings image.jpg and that is a Bacchus "brown eyed girl" to wash it down

How do you stop dumplings collapsing and turning into rubber golf balls?

Bribie G said:
How do you stop dumplings collapsing and turning into rubber golf balls?
Never had that happen? Mine are 1 cup self raising flour, 1/3 cup fine grated Parmesan, 1/3 cup milk and 40g butter melted, mix it up and roll into balls, cook your stew of choice for 1 hour, then put dumplings on top, cook 15mim more with cover on, then 10-15 with cover off to get golden

Tonight for me was an ad hoc chunky cut lamb stew:

Rough cut mushrooms, celery, potato, sweet potato.
Pan fried onions and apple smoked garlic.
Lamb livers, pan seared.
Lamb caserole bone cuts and lamb forequarter chops, also pan seared.

Just dumped it in the slow cooker. We'll see if I am hungry at breakfast time!

I love it offle with exras I miss the days when the offle was the star of the dish. I'm not that old either but aussie eating habits in my life time have moved away from the offle. You just can't replicate them in your cooking. I once had a girl ask me for lambs fry and bacon, with no fry.... Can you just use some steak as I love the flavour but can't eat that sort of stuff...

I am yet to make real sausages as I can't get over the shit. But we use every part of the beasts we kill. Winter is the best time as I get to use offle as flavour especially in heavy gravys and wifey does not know complain. I never run a big heavy offle gravy but use small pieces to get the desired body in the food.

This thread will be grand, recipes to try and maybe I can contribute. Being a noob to brewing is hard to participate sometimes... Well all the time... I can talk food like a hungry American........ With less fat..

Camo6 said:
My old man would always ruin his by adding sultanas or sometimes sliced banana. Wasn't to my tastes. However I've found a little bit of diced apple goes down a treat.
I used to love the small cans of Ayam Malaysian curry powder but can't seem to find them even in IGA's nowadays. Anyone got a source?
I'm a fan of the golden curry sauce, you will find it in the asian section at most supermarkets. Comes in hot, medium and mild. Looks like a block of chocolate. Mild is pretty crap. I sometimes cooked the snags on the bbq or blanch thorn quickly and skin them!

My mum laughs at me but God i love my pressure cooker and winter!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

made a beef ragu in the slow cooker last night. serve in a bowl with creamy garlic mash in the middle wash down with a coopers stout, delish.

Tahoose said:
Going to try a rabbit goulash this winter.
Do.. its fanrtastic.

My son has his braces adjusted last week so wasn't able to chew for a few days. Took advantage by making soup. Spicy pumpkin and lentil (with bacon) and a really nice chicken conji.

Made a porter beef stew last weekend with a pint of my brown porter and a fresh wort reduction from an amber ale I was brewing, garlic, carrots, onions, anchovies, braising beef, sriracha chilli, salt and pepper, beef stock, crushed tomatoes. I wish I had an endless supply of it.

I make convict stew in the pressure cooker about once a month, but it takes a couple of days. It's getting harder to track down lamb neck nowadays, a lot of people buy it for their dogs. Should be a crime.

Stage 1: slow cooker

go to Coles or your butcher and get a couple of kilos of lamb soup bones (not neck, that comes in stage 2) - choose ones with plenty of meat and fat attached, put them in the slow cooker with a couple of chopped onions, a chopped carrot, two litres of water and a litre carton of chicken stock. Set and forget for two days. I do mine in the garage.

When cool give it all a good massage with clean hands then force what you can through a mesh strainer into a big bowl, cool in fridge and remove the disc of fat off the top.

That's your stock. Store and freeze in 600ml t/a containers - a batch will last you for the winter.

Stage 2: pressure cooker

get 3 lamb necks sawn for you into five neck chops each.

2 large onions finely chopped

Layer chops and onions in pressure cooker and tip in a container of stock from #1
Pressure cook for 15 minutes.

Remove chops to a plate and gravy to a bowl. To the gravy add two beef or chicken OXO cubes, half a cup of passata or a heaped TBSP tomato paste, a good grind of black pepper, sprig of rosemary if you like.

In the pressure cooker, rebuild the stew with the par-cooked chops layered with:

4 thick sliced sliced carrots
one extra thin sliced onion
2 small swede turnips cubed
half a head of celery thickly sliced

Pour gravy over the top and pressure cook for a further 15 minutes.

The lamb should fall off the bones that can be sucked clean.

Note no potatoes in this recipe, they come in the form of garlic mash on the side :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Chicken wings are cheap and useful and tasty but a pain in the arse as a stand alone foodstuff in my opinion. What to do?
I like to roast them hard with a scatterings of garlic, tomato, mushrooms, onions and carrots, herbs, chillis ect then once everythings started to melt and burn, toss the lot into the stock pot and simmer until it gets that smell.
You know that 'smell'? People walk through the door and say 'mmm, whats cooking?'
So much nicer and homely than Ambi pur.

When its done, run it through the strainer and thats your lot. Makes a great base for just about anything, especially risotto. Freeze what you don't need in your Tupperware.

By itself, also makes a great coffee substitute on a frosty morning if you pop a few No-Doz in.

Dave70 said:
By itself, also makes a great coffee substitute on a frosty morning if you pop a few No-Doz in.
Not sure if serious?

This ones a winner at my house every time I make it

Sweet Beef Curry
1.5 kg Diced chuck Steak
2 tablespoon fruit chutney
2 onions
1 tablespoon apricot jam

2 carrots
2 cups beef stock
1 parsnip

2 potatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 Tablespoon corn flour (optional)

Add Meat to the slow cooker,

Peel and chop onions, carrots and parsnip. Place in slow cooker along with the curry powder, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, fruit chutney, jam, stock and salt, stir well
to combine.

Place on the lid and cook for 4-5 hrs on High or 8 hours on low. If necessary add the corn flour, mix with 2 tablespoons of water, to make a paste , then add to slow cooker to thicken, season to taste.

Back