Winter = soups & stews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers, will do dumplings with the rest of the beef stew tomorrow.

I'll try that ratio. My attempts at dumplings in the past have been woeful, they fluff up then collapse into little rubbery blobs that you could use as erasers.

My mum used to make dumplings that Nelson could have used in his cannons at the Battle of Waterloo. Back in those days they were just used as a filler in a very sparse and watery stew. Even a plate of them with golden syrup saved on dunny paper for at least a week until you "unclogged"

Ditch that 70's slow cooker and get on board with slow smoked stews Bribie. 8hr slow smoked oxtail stew with Aydos blueberry and black pepper belgian stout. Done in my Aldi pan in my Aldi smoker. Oxtail was reduced at Woolies and there's leek in there as well, as well as some old extract bock which I use in cooking to use it up.
full

full

A leak in there? Brave man...

I'll actually consider that as a I have the Aldi smoker. What degrees did you set it at?

Ha ha, just realised my spelling error before you posted. Though it was leaking as the pan was a bit full.

Set on lowest for most of the time. Cranked it up to about 200C for the last hour or so as I wanted to reduce it a bit more.

008.JPG Dumplings from yesterday
Carrots uprooted today, don't know how come they got so misshapen sieved the carrot bed last summer, will grow them in sand in future.
001.JPG
To this, a carrot soup, was going to make a carrot and lentil but too many carrots.
007.JPG

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    732 KB · Views: 100
My mum used to make dumplings that Nelson could have used in his cannons at the Battle of Waterloo. Back in those days they were just used as a filler in a very sparse and watery stew. Even a plate of them with golden syrup saved on dunny paper for at least a week until you "unclogged"
The old suet was used alot in years gone by, steak and kidney pud, spotted dick, jam roly poly and one I must make again, bacon clangers, a suet pastry rolled out as if making a roly poly then strips of bacon spread over the suet pastry and the pastry then rolled up and placed in the oven in foil and baked for an hour or so.

I have got back into baking with pure animal fat...soooooo much better. Vegies have a much nicer sweeter flavour than done in veg oil

**** the vegans

And modern nutrition is tending that pure animal fat is not actually as bad as you think

Last edited:
I listened to the malcolm gladwell podcast where he spoke about how maccas used to use beef tallow... I found it online for about $20 for half a kilo of beef fat. Is there anywhere cheaper to get it? Or is that just what it costs?

I recently picked up the cheap deep fryer from Aldi and I'd love to try it...

I just use supafry ( the red cube ) from the supermarket. Its about $3-4 per 500gm block

I have got back into backing with pure animal fat...soooooo much better. Vegies have a much nicer sweeter flavour than done in veg oil

**** the vegans

And modern nutrition is tending that pure animal fat is not actually as bad as you think
Backing?

Is that when the goat backs up onto you at the edge of the cliff? pure fat definitely needed for the occasion.

Supafry: yes animal fat but it's hydrogenated to make it solid. Not good.

Off the same shelf, go the lard. The good fat that Jesus loves to eat but he has to do it on the sly, being Jewish.

lard in fridge.jpg

Completely off topic but my GP had been nagging me for about 5 years to go onto statins. Since going onto a sort of Primal diet with animal fats, eggs, meat without trimming the fat off, heaps of dairy like kefir and ghee yada yada yada, in March at my annual road test, my cholesterol levels had gone down into the "normal range" with improved HDL lipoproteins to boot. Nagging ceased.

Yes **** the vegans.

Roast a duck and gather the fat. That, mixed with a bit of olive oil, goes a long way and is always delicious.

Latest posts

Back