Winter = soups & stews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The traditional recipe uses no garlic. But I added four slightly pan fried cloves anyway.
Just to spite the Russians..

sponge said:
You and I both, Wibble.
That makes 3 of us...

I was wondering how it was added... rub them on the bread maybe? Actually, that sounds really nice...

Finding out its butter is so disappointing.

You lie, Airgead. There is never anything disappointing about butter.

Rubbing garlic on toasted bread is a delicious way to extract garlic-y goodness for garlic bread.

You lie, Airgead. There is never anything disappointing about butter.
True. But compared to a potentially new and novel use of garlic....

Mum told me a recipe a while ago for a kind of garlic bread - cut slices of an Italian bread, like ciabatta, and drizzle olive oil over them. Give them a light fry in the pan, then rub garlic over them to get the taste in.

When I do it I pretty much just fry the bread with oil and the garlic separately - get a bit of caramelisation and burned bits on the garlic so it's nice and cooked and then just sprinkle it over the bread. Have it with an egg or bacon or something.

PORCUPINE MEATBALLS

Dead simple and very delicious "casserole" that many people seem to have forgotten about is "porcupine meatballs". Hardly any prep required and cheap as chips.

Tin condensed tomato soup "expanded" with a tin of milk.

500g mince - I used lamb
3/4 cup raw long grain rice - edited
large onion
clove garlic
splash of worcestershire sauce

herbs, salt and pepper to taste.

Grate onions and garlic onto the mince, add herbs and seasoning, add raw rice and knead thoroughly.

Make meatballs about an inch in dia.

Bring the soup mix to a slow simmer in a fairly large pan and add a splash of worc. sauce.

Drop the meatballs in one at a time till just covered by the soup. Keep the meatballs as a single layer, don't crowd in a too-small pan as they will tend to stick to each other and disintegrate.

Cover and simmer for around 45 mins very slowly. Swirl the pan occasionally. The rice will cook, firming up the meatballs and thickening the sauce, and the individual grains will stand out from the surface of the meatballs, hence "porcupines". Serve over garlic mash.

Tip: use a top range tinned soup like Heinz or Campbells, not a no frills cheapy.

Leftovers are great on toasted Turkish Bread.

Leftovers:

porcupines 2.jpg

Garlic almost deserves a thread of its own.

One family pleasing accompaniment I've been knocking up lately is simply smashing some rock salt, pepper, a little smoked paprika and / or chilly and fresh garlic in the pestle & mortar, mixing in some olive oil and painting it onto some wholemeal pita bread and baking till crisp. Grated Parmesan completes the picture.

Goes great with a container of homemade tzatziki, TV remote, and privacy.

Dave70 said:
One family pleasing accompaniment I've been knocking up lately is simply smashing some rock salt, pepper, a little smoked paprika and / or chilly and fresh garlic in the pestle & mortar, mixing in some olive oil and painting it onto some wholemeal pita bread and baking till crisp. Grated Parmesan completes the picture.

Goes great with a container of homemade tzatziki, TV remote, and privacy.
Sounds good. Be nice with a beer too.

I managed to catch a rabbit the other day, so tonight it's rabbit stew
(Made it up as I went along)

Into the slow cooker ~
2x onions
2x carrots
2x sticks of celery
1x parsnippy
1x rabbit, cut into portions, powdered with seasoned flour, browned in the pan.
12x fresh sage leaves
4x thyme twigs worth of leaves
3x bay leaves

Smells good so far.

Serving it with mash potato and peas. Time to mash the mash actually…

I made Moussaka the other day, and to punish me for being too lazy to walk up to the local butcher, Colesworth had no lamb mince.
But they did have kangaroo mince.

Fricken'eck - it turned out delicious. Much cheaper than lamb mince too.

Mr Wibble said:
I made Moussaka the other day, and to punish me for being too lazy to walk up to the local butcher, Colesworth had no lamb mince.

Apparently there's a sheep meat shortage, our Coles is often out of lamb mince.

I'll probably be eating chicken feet in Chippendale end of next week. :)

Mr Wibble said:

I definitely push Roo infront of other meats, so im probably biased. But it really is a great meat. Aldi and Coles stock the same Game Deli Company's Roo meat, most of the time unless on special its cheaper in Aldi. And it comes flat in a long vac sealed 1kg bag, so u can buy many and stack them in ya freezer :D

Ever coupla sundays I make Roo rissoles for sandwichs at work, make enough for a coupla weeks and vac seal them and freeze, damn good gear :)

Bribie G said:
Apparently there's a sheep meat shortage, our Coles is often out of lamb mince.

I'll probably be eating chicken feet in Chippendale end of next week. :)
The way lambs have been dropping dead this winter, there'll be a lamb shortage alright :(

shaunous said:
Ever coupla sundays I make Roo rissoles for sandwichs at work, make enough for a coupla weeks and vac seal them and freeze, damn good gear :)
Yep. roosols. rooghetti and roosagna are staples at our place.

Made vege stoup last week (soup that's so thick its almost a stew).

easy as. Grab whatever veges you have in the fridge (I used onions, garlic, fennel, tomato, cellery, capsicum). Sweat them off in some oil. Add water, bay leaves and chilli. Cook till veges are soft then munge up with a stick mixer. Bring it back to the boil and add some beans (soaked overnight... I used borlotti but whatever you have), you can also add lentils. I also threw in some little rissoni soup pasta. Cook till the beans are soft. Salt to taste.

Add heaps of black pepper, parsley and parmesan cheese to serve.

Made 8l of it. We still have 2 left.

Cheers
Dave

Making lamb shanks tonight.

Onions, shanks and garlic browned well in oil (or ghee/lard/tallow/axle grease if you're Bribie)
Bay leaves, red wine, tomato puree. Salt. Pepper. A few chilli flakes. Some rosemary.

Simmering away now. Will be ready in a couple of hours. Throw in some peas at the last minute. Serve with some brown rice.

Smelling pretty good.

Roo mince at Coles for $8.99kg. Thats pretty reasonable.

Might start buying it. They also had Roo fillets

Back