Winter = soups & stews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try finely sliced preserved lemons instead of the lemon zest. Yum.

My dad always made tripe and onions for a cold winter Saturday, in fact he still does but the habit has passed on to me absolutely love tripe an onions on a cold day also braised hearts another cheap and comforting meal. Baked potatoes done under the grate of an open fire followed by malt loaf with loads of butter.

wide eyed and legless said:
My dad always made tripe and onions for a cold winter Saturday, in fact he still does but the habit has passed on to me absolutely love tripe an onions on a cold day also braised hearts another cheap and comforting meal. Baked potatoes done under the grate of an open fire followed by malt loaf with loads of butter.
Recipe?

"Tripe Marketing Board" - lol => http://tripemarketingboard.co.uk/tripe-recipes.php
(I want a "Choose TRIPE" t-shirt)

Tahoose said:
What did the crowd think? Have an afternoon off today, normally I'd brew some beer, but I brewed on Monday and have 3 beers on the go so I might do some cooking.
Uh, it's hard to know.

I got so sick of the complaining "OMG! DAD! THIS HAS **ONIONS** IN IT!" ... that I made it a capital offence to complain about dinner.
So even a single complaint lands you the job of cleaning up the kitchen after dinner.

Sounds a bit harsh, I know, but 1 kid hates chicken, 1 kid hates fish, 1 kid hates red meat.
And don't get me started on which kid *HATES* which vegetable.

Anyway, so to answer your question - everyone ate it, two kids had seconds ;)
(oh, and one kid ***HATES*** beans, so I was never going to win the trifecta.)

Ahhh, domestic bliss :D

shaunous said:
His a bad boy. Although to be fair he has no ladies to protect, the other rooster stole them all.
Some roosters are just capital-N Nasty pieces of work.

We had a pair of Ancona roosters, they'd run at you from 20 metres away spoiling for a fight.
But they were some of the tastiest chicken I've ever had.

We also have a Campine rooster that's a right crouton1, but his offspring are some of the nicest roosters you'd ever hope to meet.

-kt

1 insert your own c-word here

Ghetto tinned Mackerel Stew - a hallmark of folks "of color" in the USA during the Segregation period.

Cheap as, perfect with a side of hominy grits (polenta in this case, with heaps of butter). Less than $2 a serve.

large onion
1/3 bunch celery
some hand picked chillies
stock (or use stock cube)
tomato paste
TBSP lard - I use coconut oil.

2 large tins of Woolworths plain Mackerel (not the one in tomato sauce) - drained and flaked

mackerel 1.jpg

finely chop the veggies and saute in lard till tender
Add two cups of stock and a heaped tbsp tomato paste

cover and simmer for 20 mins

mackerel 2.jpg

add drained and flaked mackerel and simmer an additional 10 mins

Theoretically this should taste like shyte, but it's surprisingly tasty. Having it for brekky now.

mackerel 3.jpg

Mackerel is only $2 a can at Woolies, it's wild caught Jack Mackerel from the Eastern Pacific / American coasts. Great source of omega 3 and because it's low down in the food chain it has very low levels of mercury compared to Tuna etc.

Lamb leg slow cooked with saison, chicken stock, herbs and garlic. Drain liquid and reduce to a thick jus, skimming the foam off as you go.
Tea and herb smoked cherry tomatoes, roast baby beets and mixed mushrooms in butter (pine, field, shitake, slippery jack, button), mashed potato as above.

Dude, I have just got home from a curry night with the boys, and I'm quite sure I couldn't eat anything else until tomorrow.

But that sounds awesome, and I'm assuming that with your culinary skills it probably will be awesome.

I was impressed by Saison...

I had a couple that accidentally got frozen so I used them for cooking. I find rich slow cooked red meat dishes can often work better with white wine or pale beers as it helps balance the concentrated richness.

Yeah sounds good, I'm sure they would go well drinking with the specified meal.

I'm sure I'll have to re-read this tomorrow for some kitchen inspiration, a couple of bottles of wine have got me toasted.'

We just got back from Bright where we picked some pine mushrooms. So today, pearl barley risotto with pine mushrooms - a loose adaptation of a Stephanie Alexander recipe. (She uses porcini and button mushrooms).

Slightly off topic, can anyone tell me the name of the Chinese cooking show where the male Chinese narrator had a soft pleasant
voice which could put you to sleep, and also what channel was it on.

TimT said:
We just got back from Bright where we picked some pine mushrooms. So today, pearl barley risotto with pine mushrooms - a loose adaptation of a Stephanie Alexander recipe. (She uses porcini and button mushrooms).
If you want to try something a little different try sautéing the pine mushrooms in UNTOASTED sesame oil (should be pale whitish yellow, not brown) and finish them with some mashed umeboshi and a squeeze of lemon. Eat them with a nice short grain brown rice or other cooked whole grain.

Bit of a lamb curry last night. Kept it real simple as I was in and out of the house yesterday so didn't bother to cook things off individually.

Lamb forequarters
Tin of tomatoes
Bunch of coriander
Veggies (we had mushrooms, capsicum and carrot)

Spices
Onion, garlic and ginger puree (made in blender)
Coriander seeds
Cumin seeds
Mustard seeds
Cloves
Star anise
Cardamon
Paprika
Tumeric
Mixed peppercorns
Cinnamon

Toasted and ground the spices, then combined lamb, tomatoes, purees and spices and let sit overnight. Cooked the lamb in a crock pot with the coriander roots and curry leaves in the oven at 150'C for 4 hours then added in the veggies and cooked for another 2. Served with coriander and cardamon rice.

Glorious.

Did a curried chicken and lentil soup over the weekend.
  • Take 1 boiler chook and boil in about 4l of water for a few hours. Remove from water and let cool.
  • Add 2-3 cups of red lentils and some chunks of ginger to the chicken stock. Let cook until the lentils are done.
  • Fish out the ginger
  • Skin chook and shred flesh. Add back to pot.
  • In a frying pan heat some oil (or ghee if you are Bribie...) and fry off 2 chopped onions, some roughly chopped green chili and a bunch of garlic until the onions go nice and brown.
  • Now chuck in a dash of asoefeteda then straight afterwards add a teaspoon of turmeric, a tablespoon or two of cumin seeds, a tablespoon or two of cracked corriander seeds, a tablespoon or two of mustard seeds, a couple of teaspoons of fenugreek seeds and cracked pepper to taste.
  • Let them cook in the oil until it smells fantastic (maybe 30 seconds or so).
  • Throw in a teaspoon or two of garam masala then chuck the lot, oil and all into the chicken and lentil mix.
  • Stir and let simmer for a few mins to let the flavours combine.
  • Salt to taste.
Yum.

:icon_drool2:

Made a fresh batch of ghee the other day. If you use Woolies Home Brand Unsalted butter (ex Westgold NZ, grass fed of course) it's got more omega 3 than fish oil. :)

I did lambs fry and bacon last night. Did all the right things like soak the liver slices in milk all afternoon etc. Turned out ghastly, so bitter it was like chewing a Magnum pellet. Binned it this morning. On the lookout for calves (veal) liver - should work better.

That's a pity Bribie, specially when your looking forward to them. Over cooking can make livers tough but the bitterness is usually old product and the blood has soured. Yuk!

I'll get my next lot from a butcher in town, not BILO.

i make the mrs lamb's fry and bacon in the slow cooker..1 onion finely diced and diced bacon(2 cups) brown lightly,one finely sliced lamb's fry coated in flour.placed all in slow cooker with about 500ml stock.let in cook till it thicken's up.normally eat it next day.also potatoe and leek soup goes well in this house.2 leeks washed and diced and 2 large potatoes,3 rashers of bacon and 1.5 litres of stock.brown onion and bacon till golden ,place onions/leeks in saucepan and cook gently for 5 mins,shaking so it don't stick.pour on stock and bring to boil,simmer for 20mins or until soft.coll for a few mins,blend in a food processor.or stick blender till smooth return to pot and pour 150ml of cream,warm to taste.

Back