Why Use Glass Bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, when you brew a 21L batch and keg 19L, what do you do with the surplus 2L?

I've never quite understood this. Why would you brew a 21L batch in the first place if you know you only have a 19L keg??? Just adjust your batch size to 19L. And that's 19L out of the fermenter, so it might mean 20 or 21L into fermenter, depending on your setup.

Once I start saving money by not having to buy a carton every week I will have more money to spend :)

I love your thinking S.D., I remember using that one about 30 years ago.

its_all_downhill_from_here.jpg

Every container has it's place.I'm quite partial to having the surplus 2lts from filling 2 kegs, as a taster.I'll very rarely bottle in glass.But I will to age.

With a constant co2 supply,with high turnover glass is a waste for me.Unless I want to age a beer.If going out I'll take the 9 lt keg or fill 2.25lt pet bottles with the one handed CPF sold by Ross.As an aside I have 4 carb caps to help the problem

I've never quite understood this. Why would you brew a 21L batch in the first place if you know you only have a 19L keg??? Just adjust your batch size to 19L. And that's 19L out of the fermenter, so it might mean 20 or 21L into fermenter, depending on your setup.

I think you will fine that many brewers like to have a couple of liters of back up, some systems do not always produce the exact volume anticipated each any every time you brew. I guess it depends on if your brewery can turn out the same results continuously ;)

PET bottles are for sending to comps.....
In the post so they dont break.
PJ
I have some PET bottles of beer ..But ????????
I dont think i will ever drink them..
Use glass...

I think you will fine that many brewers like to have a couple of liters of back up, some systems do not always produce the exact volume anticipated each any every time you brew. I guess it depends on if your brewery can turn out the same results continuously

Weirdly enough, those 4L of CO2 don't water the beer down at all!

Is there some rule that says putting less than 19L in a keg means you're losing beer?

I think you will fine that many brewers like to have a couple of liters of back up, some systems do not always produce the exact volume anticipated each any every time you brew. I guess it depends on if your brewery can turn out the same results continuously ;)

Fair call. I always aim for 19L, but if I've filled the keg and still have a liter or so left over I just quickly mix it in with the yeast and tell myself that it was undrinkable anyway. Better then getting the lil bottler out at the end of a kegging session, kind of ruins it for me. And if it turns out to be a little less than 19L then so it be. I can live with that.

I used to run a Mongrel 9lt keg for all my leftovers, I loved the beers it produced. Lagers, Pilners, Ales, Stouts or others all went in the one keg.

I used to run a Mongrel 9lt keg for all my leftovers, I loved the beers it produced. Lagers, Pilners, Ales, Stouts or others all went in the one keg.

I've never blended a mongrel.I'll simply have enough space for beers to finish in their own time.

I've heard about you doing that before. Great idea actually, I've got quite a few kegs with a few liters left over that had to give up their space in the keg fridge to a better beer.
Time to give those beers a new home in good company and free up some kegs.

I've heard about you doing that before. Great idea actually, I've got quite a few kegs with a few liters left over that had to give up their space in the keg fridge to a better beer.
Time to give those beers a new home in good company and free up some kegs.

Xmas swap....bring a Mongrel....Insider will :huh:

Its not why , but why not , to beer ,or not to beer :D

Ok then, i'll save up all my stella stubbies while I am filling up my recently purchased pet collection, get a bench capper and then slowly collect long necks. Thanks for all the tips.

My LHBS sells empty tallies for $6/dozen, but I'm slowly expanding my collection of swingtops.
I agree with the difference on taking a PET and a glass bottle out of the fridge. It's lightyears apart.

I think most HBS sell the tallie swingtop-style bottles brand new for $27/dozen.

I call my spares keg the dregs keg, but the mongrel sounds bit nicer to drink

QldKev

No one has said it so far, so...

In the past I've had various sets of bottles - the Stella ones, a large collection of crownies, and so on (all collected from recycling bins). I tended to bottle certain kinds of beer consistently in a certain bottle. Perhaps it's just the obsessive compulsive part of my nature coming out. :)

These days, I have just two kinds of bottle - 500ml San Pelligrino bottles and champagne punts. I have a Tirage bell for the capper (and a corker, but that was given to me).

The advantage of standardizing is that my boxes stack better, which is essential given my limited space.

T.

I bottle with both bottles and PET - I have to say, I have never had an infection (touch wood) , never had a bottle bomb, and haven't noticed a flavour profile difference when bottling either. None of my brews hang around for the long haul (10 months +). I think you can use either without issue. I have been using the same PET bottles for 5 years and they are still going with original caps.

I will probably move to kegging this year, because it is part of the hobby and I want to, and so I don't have to worry about pouring a jug each night rather i can just pull a tap and if I don't want another full tallie, no biggie I can take a half.

Apart from this, I have never had an issue with them. When I was starting out with my first few kits, I had a few gushers while learning, and I am sure they would have been a risk if it wasn't for the PET.

My 5 cents cause you can't get 2 anymore.

I stopped using PET because kegging is easier ... but also because I read up on the nasties that are in PET plastic, and how it's one thing to drink coke from one that's 2 months old, but a whole 'nother to be drinking beer from a 5 year old bottle that's had beer in it for 6 months, leaching away.

Sperm count, anyone? :huh:

Latest posts

Back