Why Use Glass Bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never quite understood this. Why would you brew a 21L batch in the first place if you know you only have a 19L keg??? Just adjust your batch size to 19L. And that's 19L out of the fermenter, so it might mean 20 or 21L into fermenter, depending on your setup.

21L was just a figure I plucked outta nowhere.

I often brew 25L batches, keg 19L and bottle the rest. Having bottles is handy for taking round to a mates place, a BBQ, picnic, party, on a fishing boat etc. Only 50% of my drinking is done at home, so I quicker run out of bottles than I empty kegs.

21L was just a figure I plucked outta nowhere.

I often brew 25L batches, keg 19L and bottle the rest. Having bottles is handy for taking round to a mates place, a BBQ, picnic, party, on a fishing boat etc. Only 50% of my drinking is done at home, so I quicker run out of bottles than I empty kegs.

I fill a bunch of 450ml Grolsh bottles from the kegs for takeaways. They're fine as long as you drink them within 4 hours - and have no sediment.

Handing your mates a Grolsh bottle filled with your own malty, hoppy German Pilsner with no sediment makes people's jaw drop.

The advantage of standardizing is that my boxes stack better, which is essential given my limited space.

T.

+1

I use cascade green or coopers brown stubbies as they stack well back in the slab box, or LC pint bottles.

A good place to get a bunch of standardised stubbies is to approach a local sport club, they have lots of empties that they want to get rid of.

@drtomc
Not strange at all to be specific with your bottles...
I ONLY use JS bottles. ALL my bottled stock are in these bottles. They are thick, look good and I much prefer to have all my stock in the same bottles.

I stopped using PET because kegging is easier ... but also because I read up on the nasties that are in PET plastic, and how it's one thing to drink coke from one that's 2 months old, but a whole 'nother to be drinking beer from a 5 year old bottle that's had beer in it for 6 months, leaching away.

For others using PET bottles as well as glass bottles, I followed up with brewcraft to check the status of their PET bottles. They were friendly and helpful and provided the following response:

"We have spoken to our suppliers and they have provided us with a certificate of compliance stating that the PET bottles are free from Plasticizers, namely DINP & DEHP. With that in mind, there shouldnt be any leaching of chemicals".

Brewers choice?

+1

I use cascade green or coopers brown stubbies as they stack well back in the slab box, or LC pint bottles.

A good place to get a bunch of standardised stubbies is to approach a local sport club, they have lots of empties that they want to get rid of.

certainly agree with standardising the bottles, i was a little all over the shop trying to get enough good crown seal bottles, then my brother brought his mate around to try
my brew for himself...turns out his brother-in-law goes through 2 cartons of Blue Tongue a week.....he brings me boxes every coupling weeks, I repay my mates kindness with a carton of mixed brews and every month or so I send a box of my BT Lager clone home for his BIL....everyones happy and my box stack is neat and tidy, which keeps the
boss happy :icon_cheers:

Be nice if they used "won't" instead of "shouldn't". :huh:

If you go to Fukushima, you shouldn't get cancer.

*laughing*

Nick - last time I looked at the research, there is a much stronger evidence base for the link between alcohol and cancer. Got to die of something sometime, but good luck to you.

J

Do it right and get a bench capper. Don't go for a lever capper as a halfway compromise, just go by a bench capper. They are worth their weight in gold
Nath
+1.

I don't drink large amounts of beer on a regular basis so don't
think I will go into a full blown kegging setup. Also don't have
the space for one nor can afford one while being a Uni student
for now.

Bottles are convenient, cleaning isn't that hard - my regime is
once a bottle is emptied, I rinse a couple of times until the
bottle is clean as a whistle and drain. Once dry I'll use a small
piece of glad wrap and rubberband to cover the bottle if it's not
going to be re-filled in the near future. With these bottles, when
I need to bottle beer I just remove the wrap and rinse with a
sanitiser (phos acid) and bottle.

If a bottle has strongly stuck on yeast/gunk, I'll give it a stronger
than usual sodium percarbonate soaking for a week or more and
that usually fixes it. With bottles bought from a bottle recycler,
they get the full on treatment once and they join they light
cleaning regime.

For each batch, I bottle into longnecks (tallies) and into two or so
PET bottle for monitoring the carbing levels for that batch (in case
they start to get really hard - danger! danger! Will Robinson!!!)
Having said all this, I got some 5L heineken keglets recently and
will use them for the quaffing beer while still retaining some of the
portability of bottles - hopefully these are a viable long term solution.

To me, the main drawback with glass is the potential bottle bomb
danger they present. To reduce this threat, I stick to using Coopers
longnecks (see post).

T.

Back