Who wants an easy way to clean kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey I just wanted a thread that everyone could tell me I spend too much. Not about how we care about the environment. If we really wanted to care we wouldn't brew? Come on keep it helpfull

2much2spend said:
Hey I just a thread that everyone could tell me I spend too much. Not about how we care about the environment. If we really wanted to care we wouldn't brew? Come on keep it helpfull
Apologies from me for the OT 2M2S. :)

You should really have a bit of a think about that bold text above. :beer:

over & out.

The massive CO2 emissions from our brews are definitely killing baby seals, one baby seal per blump in my blow off tube bottle home thing (do they have a name) is my guestimate......

But I like beer, and baby seals dont do much for me, so they can go get fucked.

Cheers.

I completely break down my kegs after each batch and soak all parts separately, I find too much gunk etc in there to be happy with a quick rinse or splash with cleaner.

Other methods may work for other people, and I'm cool with that.

So I've been planning something similar to this build for a while - well done! IMHO it's money well spent when you consider what people splash cash on in this hobby.

My apologies for the swing away from the original topic as well.

$40.00 for a pump is nothing compared with what we spend on brewing, fancy taps, stainless fermenters, Braumeisters etc. Looks like a nice project 2M2S, good luck with it.

Pete said pure sodium perc. was better for the environment than what I'm using to clean kegs, yes that's 100% correct as well. Next time I go to Brissy I'll stop off and get some.

I'm off for a bit of dugong now as well. :p

Batz

TheBigD said:
Im with Bradsbrew looks like to much work and money for to little gain. I've never even bothered to pull my posts apart I too just soak with so pink stain remover a couple of boiled kettles run through the posts then some starsan and good to go.
Please be aware that PSR (pink stain remover) is not recommended for stainless and will cause pitting if allowed to sit (especially if used long-term).

This has been a community announcement for the Save The Kegs movement.

Les the Weizguy said:
Please be aware that PSR (pink stain remover) is not recommended for stainless and will cause pitting if allowed to sit (especially if used long-term).

Is this stated in the MSDS?

Nice project 2m2s. I hit mine with the pressure washer and maybe a soak with pbw but this looks just as easy without copping a faceful of yeasty spray.

Is that a T piece and tap on the shaft to run an extra fountain? I wonder if you could attach some hose and a beer disconnect so you could recirc through the beer tube at the same time.

2much2spend said:
Is this stated in the MSDS?

To my knowledge it's a chlorine based cleaner so I wouldn't be soaking stainless with it.

This is mine which I built earlier this year completely from stuff I had available around the house including a dirty water pump.
Quick disconnect goes into the beer out to give the dip tube a good blast as well.

The pump has some serious grunt and blasts the water through the attached hose right to the top of the keg.

Admittedly I have only used it once so far but have cleaned 10 kegs in that one session.
A few minutes with hot sodium percarbonate solution and another session with star san.

DSC_0745.jpeg

DSC_0757.jpeg

DSC_0766.jpeg

DSC_0778.jpeg

DSC_0765.jpeg

Camo6 said:
Nice project 2m2s. I hit mine with the pressure washer and maybe a soak with pbw but this looks just as easy without copping a faceful of yeasty spray.

Is that a T piece and tap on the shaft to run an extra fountain? I wonder if you could attach some hose and a beer disconnect so you could recirc through the beer tube at the same time.
The thing even come with a spray head witch should blast the inside good.

This is my first attempt. I run it threw the beer and gas posts.

1416793693312.jpg

Pugdog1 said:
Not sure what the specs are on everyone's pumps but I have one like this (http://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-350w-submersible-water-pump_p4816179) except I think I got the $70 model below it. I reckon it would be powerful enough to clean two at once, haven't tested this in anyways just food for thought
I looked at this pump. I thought it was too big but give it a shot! https://m.masters.com.au/product/101136839/flotec-vip-vort-180-6-dirty-water-pump
This looked good but pricey.

Les the Weizguy said:

thanks for that I only soak for about and hour max seems to clean up very quick in hot water, might move over to something else though any suggestions?

Sodium percabonate is what most use I believe? Cheap to if you buy it in bulk 25kg bag

Pugdog1 said:
Mines a clean water pump I think but would that be an issue?

no ,dirty water means it can pump some solids. ( leaves sludge stuff like that)

Latest posts

Back