Who wants an easy way to clean kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2much2spend

Reaction score
I was looking to build this keg cleaner (link) http://thebrewingnetwork.com/Beer-Gadgets/Doc-Tasty-Style-Keg-Cleaner
But I couldn't find a 240v small sump pump that was under $200 but now I seen a fountain pump at Aldi fire $40 , so now I'm going to build the easy clean keg cleaner.
I've tried this before with a little pond pump from bunnings , it worked but not good enough.

I'll get some more pics up when it's done

This is seriously the easiest way to clean a keg.

1416719119596.jpg

1416719133341.jpg

They can do 1700 ltrs/hr @ 2mt head. The last pump was 700 ltrs/hr at 1mtr head so I'm hoping this will do the job.

I didnt think they're that hard to clean. Quick hose out followed by a kettle or 2 of boiling water.
Job done.

In the link they just hook up the posts and leave it running in percarb with the lid off.

That sounds easier to me!

Im with Bradsbrew looks like to much work and money for to little gain. I've never even bothered to pull my posts apart I too just soak with so pink stain remover a couple of boiled kettles run through the posts then some starsan and good to go.

Fair enough.
The few I did on the small pump worked a treat, they came out so clean.

I'm just lazy and if I can get something to push a button and then it's clean I'll look in to it.
It did cost about $50-60 to set up
Just wanted to share!☺

Some people & their money are easily parted. ;)

1 -- keg purged
2 -- rinsed with hose (dip tube included)
3 -- sodium perc (100% in my case) added & dip tube bled
4 -- left for 24 hours
5 -- emptied & rinsed (including dip tube)
6 -- Too easy :lol:

TidalPete said:
Some people & their money are easily parted. ;)

1 -- keg purged
2 -- rinsed with hose (dip tube included)
3 -- sodium perc (100% in my case) added & dip tube bled
4 -- left for 24 hours
5 -- emptied & rinsed (including dip tube)
6 -- Too easy :lol:
Yeah 24hrs!

I'm a tad different, pure perc in keg, 1l boiling water, shake, put some gas in, run off to second keg, liquid post to liquid post.. I'll generally clean 3 at a time and seriously, takes 5 minutes, hose rinse, quick starsan and on the bench.

An excellent method though, one of the Melbourne brewers recently did a show and tell on one much the same, if I had 10 to clean, would be well worthwhile.

You should put together a complete parts list and prices, what cleaning solution are you running though it?

One of those pumps next to the front door and a switch inside would be a good way of getting rid of Jehovah's Witnesses.

This is mine. mainly so I can pump boiling cleaner and water for sanitizing. I have a caravan sink with the bowl cut out to go on top. Makes washing glass easy as.
1416731332491.jpg
1416731394300.jpg

TidalPete said:
As we wave goodbye to the Barrier Reef & associated world wonders, welcome global warming etc, etc I have to say ---

Sorry Batz. Not for me!

If you live in a city environment and your waste has to go to a treatment plant, then perhaps yes.

Nothing leaves my land, organic or not, everything finds it way to the garden and it's doing very well. I recycle everything from kitchen scraps to brewing left overs.
We are a bit permaculture here, it's not for everyone, but we like it.

You should look up your caustic use Pete, where does that go when your finished? Not the drain I hope as you have told me you use it.

Batz

Batz said:
If you live in a city environment and your waste has to go to a treatment plant, then perhaps yes.

Nothing leaves my land, organic or not, everything finds it way to the garden and it's doing very well. I recycle everything from kitchen scraps to brewing left overs.
We are a bit permaculture here, it's not for everyone, but we like it.

You should look up your caustic use Pete, where does that go when your finished? Not the drain I hope as you have told me you use it.

Batz
Your claims may well be right Batz, I have no way of knowing what you do these days but consider this --- You live on a hill as do lots of other farmers acreage owners.
Have you ever thought about the impacts of leaching?
My cousin & his brothers(all their lives before their retirement) used to own much, much, bigger bits of dirt than yours & would never see reason as to how the leaching of chemicals from their cane farms could impact on the health of the Great Barrier Reef just down the road.
Ignorance is bliss even on a (much) smaller scale AWWK.
My 2-cents for better or for worse.

PS --- You are all bullshit (as usual) Batz & tell porkies to the forum to bignote yourself as I recycle to the council dump in a container what little caustic I ever use which is minimal.
We all know that this post will be deleted any moment don't we dicko & other mods. Well maybe soon anyway? :lol:

gotta be said the PDS on its a bit concerning.. skin/eyes/lungs/etc.. do you use it with a chem suit on mate? ;)

Think I'll stick to me $1.53k/g Sodium Perc :super: (Thats links a PDS Download PDF for Perc)

That said, I dont know what concentrations you use it or how you treat it either for that matter..

PS --- You are all bullshit (as usual) Batz & tell porkies to the forum to bignote yourself as I recycle to the council dump in a container what little caustic I ever use which is minimal.
We all know that this post will be deleted any moment don't we dicko & other mods. Well maybe soon anyway? :lol:
OK I'm over this, my water no mater what is is goes to a worm farm, you will know very soon if somethings a miss.
Yes times have changed since cane farming and leaching thank goodness. I'm glad your caustic (My bullshit) is just that, searched the Sunshine Coast Council web site and could not find a caustic recycle.
Part of my life is getting on with people, I hope you can be one of them.

Life is good, I hope you find it the same.

Batz.... I need to be outa here. Cheers to all my brewer mates.

negative mind.jpg

Batz said:
OK I'm over this, my water no mater what is is goes to a worm farm, you will know very soon if somethings a miss.
Yes times have changed since cane farming and leaching thank goodness. I'm glad your caustic (My bullshit) is just that, searched the Sunshine Coast Council web site and could not find a caustic recycle.
Part of my life is getting on with people, I hope you can be one of them.

Life is good, I hope you find it the same.

Batz.... I need to be outa here. Cheers to all my brewer mates.
The bullshit never ends does it Batz. ;)

Latest posts

Back